Myrtle Beach in November....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to get some input. We have a week's stay at a condo at one of several places, and Myrtle Beach is one of the options. It will be in November if we go.

Give me some examples of what there is to do there at that time. We like amusement parks, outdoorsy stuff (not beaches, though) like cruising to see sites, etc. We do like rock and roll music (the classic stuff not toady's) and some types of shows.

We will be there over Thanksgiving.

Plus, why are the flights to get there so expensive? To go from KCI to Columbia is over 700 per, to go from kci to myrtle beach is slightly cheaper. If anything keeps us from going it would be the plane fares.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 03:41 AM

MB is a "destination" all year round, and Thanksgiving would be one of its "high" times. And of course, Thanksgiving is the most travelled week-end of the year EVERYwhere in the US. It is doubtful you will get a good fare to anywhere.
All you list is available (not sure about the outdoorsy stuff if you don't like the beach!). As for fares, golf keeps the fares pretty high. Don't fly to columbia, for heavens' sake. Wilmington or Charleston would be possibilities--or even Charlotte, but it is 3 hours to drive. But you might be able to get a fare since it is a hub, and is now serviced by some discount airlines. But T'giving is your sticking point.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

I did find some fathomable fares to charleston. Actually they were about $200 or so for our time frame. We just need to find about the activities that will be available, other than the beach.

This is somewhere we've never been, so we need to scope it out. It is either go to Myrtle Beach or visit Orlando (fourth time) or Las Vegas (third time) or Manhattan (second time) again.

We really would like to visit somewhere new. I saw they have a jeep excursion that looks pretty neat (the usage of that word should give you some indication of our ages). But it didn't look like the Rock and Roll amusement park will be open at that time. Anybody know for sure?

Any other things to do? I'm only a hacker at golf, but I could probably hack a round or two, I guess. I just don't know what my wife could do at that time.

Any other suggestions would be super.

Thanks
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM

If you fly in and out of Charleston include a tour of the famouos historic homes. Charleston also offers fine dining. Possible that a first or last night in Charleston would be worth the hotel expense.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Stay in charleston for a few days. Hunting Island is nearby.
http://huntingisland.com/
I'm sure Charleston has some music venues. You can go up to MB if you must. We have a place nearby and wouldn't/don't bother.
Great food in Charleston.
Look in today's NYTimes for an interesting article about Charleston on the cheap.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 05:51 AM

Ooops. See you have lodging in MB.
Well for hiking near MB there is Brookgreen Gardens south of Murrell's Inlet.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:38 AM

And Huntington Beach State Park, across the road from Brookgreen. You might enjoy our beaches more than you think.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM
GoTravel

I'd stay in Charleston also.

Flights to Myrtle Beach are cheaper because it is the busiest airport in the state.

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM

I think she is saying MB is more expensive--that is where we started. MB is pretty expensive, and charleston is often cheaper.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM

The Hard Rock park is open - we were just south of there in June and it was being HEAVILY advertised. Lots of golf and beach, lots of mini golf. Some decent outlet shopping as well. I'd 2nd the recommendation for Brookgreen Gardens. But this really is a beach destination - I couldn't tell from your email whether you wanted to avoid that altogether - if so I'm not sure I would go to MB in the first place if so.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

It's not that we want to avoid beaches, they just aren't our thang. Ya know what I mean? We will go if there is nothing else to do.

I did see something that looked fascinating to do, and I was wondering if any Fodorites ever have done it.

SKYDIVING

I see there is a place in Charleston that is semi-reasonable.

Any thoughts?

I will probably post that question as a lone entry. I need to know what people think.

I have ridden over 100 roller-coasters, one going as fast as 120 mph. But I would think that would be as ultimate a thrill as one could experience without leaving the atmosphere.

All suggestions are good. Any others will be appreciated.