Search

Myrtle Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Billy

Myrtle Beach

What are some nice hotels or resorts to stay at in Myrtle Beach? We would like to go in August and want to stay at a place right on the beach.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:52 AM
t.embody

We love the Forest Dunes Resort. It's in a lovely area and each unit is an individually-owned condo. There are also lots of amenities. Website: www. forestdunes.com

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:35 AM
chuck

Billy,

You can't go wrong with Kingston Planation. It's the closest thing Myrtle Beach has to a Hilton Head-style "resort." Gated entrance, nicely landscaped, a variety of accomodations (from oceanfront condos to lake villas). It is between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach, which will be a plus in August, considering traffic.

Another consideration is Ocean Creek, a little further North of Kingston Plantation (across from Barefoot Landing). It's similar to Kingston Planation in many ways.

Finally, Litchfield resort is supposed to be very nice (more natural setting, less developed), but it is pretty far south of Myrtle Beach. On the other hand, you could avoid the real traffic crunches that way, and nearby Murrels Inlet should provide all the good restaurants you would need for a week.

Sorry I have no information about the hotel suggested above, Forest Dunes, but I have seen several positive comments on it.

If you're not familiar with MB, this board has a lot of opinions (search the site under "Myrtle Beach" or South Carolina). Also, I would be happy to provide whatever information I can.

Have a great time!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:58 AM
rudy

Billy,

You might want to avoid going to M.B. during the last week in August. There is a huge golf tournament held that week, and hotels fill up, restaurants are packed, etc.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:31 AM
chuck

Rudy,

We have stayed (and now live) in North Myrtle Beach. Late August for us has been better than early August as far as crowds. Maybe there is a difference between MB and North MB at that time. If so, another reason to consider Kingston Plantation or Ocean Creek (both closer to North Myrtle Beach than MB).

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Don't Tell

The first couple weeks in September are gorgeous at NC beaches. Fewer tourists and the weather is great.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 12:33 PM
chuck

Don't Tell,

As long as you've let the cat out of the bag, SC (and probably NC and GA) beaches are wonderful throughout October. This past Fall, we were routinely wading in 70-plus water temps until about the middle of December!

September and October still have very warm air temps during the day (80's and 70's) and warm water temps (at least 70's). But the crowds are totally gone--even at Myrtle Beach.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:43 AM
CF

We went to North Myrtle last year in mid July and stayed till mid August. The last week the crowds were managable, but until then you had to look for a place to sit on the beach. Traffic was so heavy we didn't venture out on the weekends. If I had my druthers, I'd go in early Sept. (Exactly what I'm doing this year!)

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:03 AM
Mark

We've been there probably 4 times and since I was a kid about 16 times. It is a great place to vacation, especially for families.

We've stayed at Coral Beach, Long Bay,a nd LandMark

Landmark was alright, but not that great for what you expect. Coral Beach last time I was there was getting run down, but I may try it again. Patrici Grand Resort pruchased it a few years ago and put $3 million into it so that may be nice.

Long Bay is up at the North end and was new when we stayed there. Had a great time, nice resort, lots of stuff to do.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Leone

Naturally the crowds would be gone by late August-September. And naturally we'll be in SS Beach, NC the first week in July ... just north of all the action. And of course there will be 5-7 teens with us, over half with drivers licenses and a map to MB. Okay, lets assume I can escape the teens and get to the MB area for a decent meal, all on my own - name the numero uno, top place, the one above all others - in the MB area. Tell me the place you hide from the tourists. And don't, please do not tell me about Calabash, or whatever that place is. I am of course desperate - this will be my 4th year down there. Somebody laid local chinese take-out on me last year, and my doctor said that was a close call indeed. I must go upscale this year, or else. Ciao

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:42 AM
CF

We liked T-Bones and the Crab House in Barefoot Village.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Arabella

Leone, try Villa Romana at 707 S. Kings Highway in MB. It's a family owned Italian place; the food is excellent.

It's the only reason I ever go into MB.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:53 AM
Gretchen

I wouldn't set foot in MB myself but on another board with very knowledgeable and helpful MB locals Carolina Roadhouse gets the nod. For really good food go south of MB to Murrell's Inlet.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:35 AM
CF

Last time we ate at villa Romana, the spaghetti tasted like Chef Boy R Dee out of a can and there was a dead fly in my salad. We have never been back there.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:01 AM
hhires

Why in the world would you go to Myrtle? There aren't any "hilton head" style resorts there...save a few extra bucks...get out of redneck land and come to beautiful...HILTON HEAD!

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Kat

My family loves Rossi's which is an Italian restaurant with great service. They also have great steaks. The best is they take reservations which you should take advantage of. We also love Chestnut Hill which has great crabcakes and Thoroughbreds which has a piano bar. They do not offer potatoes but the food is wonderful - more upscale for the beach. The backroom is nice with wingchairs to sit in.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 09:27 AM
chuck

Leone,

Some of the restaurants mentioned above I really like (e.g., Rossi's and Chestnut Hill). However, you specified that you are looking for the best of the best.

Based on where I've dined and what I've heard, I would narrow it down to two:

Greg Norman's Australian Grill (very pricy, very creative, and great service is what I hear--haven't actually made it there yet).

Collector's Cafe (on King's Highway/Business 17, can't remember exactly where, but south of 76th Avenue North and north of 48th Avenue North). This is the best place my wife & I have tried yet at MB. It has the unusual (for MB) combination of great food and elegant atmosphere. I swear you will not remember you're in MB after the appetizers (or that first cocktail). It is a special place that gives life to the phrase "diamond in the rough."

Have a great time wherever you go!

P.S. L, if you want to try an experience that will soften your heart on MB (well, at least North MB), go to Duffy Street Seeafood Shack in Cherry Grove (on Sea-Mountain Highway, which is the main road leading to the beach). The ambience is exactly what you would expect for a "shack," but with great blues pouring from the speakers and unexpectedly good seafood (broiled, baked, blackened, pan-fried, you name it), especially shellfish, flowing from the kitchen. This little hangout portrays the shabby, relaxed character of NMB better than most of its competitors. The only major drawback (and the reason I can't get my wife to go every week) is that they serve wine in little plastic cups--definitely for the beer drinker in you.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:55 AM
chuck

Topping for L

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:22 AM
CF

The problem we found last year when we went to Myrtle is so many of the restaurants have gone buffet. Sorry, when I eat out, I want to sit, have a drink, be waited on, have freshly cooked food, not something sitting in a warming light. We have been going to MB since 68 and most of the truly good restaurants have been run out by these Calabash Buffets, Yuck.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Leone

Okay, thanks very much to Chuck, Arabella et al for all the suggestions - what a terrific group to take my plight so seriously (and correctly so!). I am printing this thread and will include it along with my baby oil and iodine solution (for the ultimate in fast tanning). Thus, when I'm in pain at day's end, I shall be able to at least find a decent meal off Sunset Beach. They still have the little swinging bridge that backs up traffic once each hour. Many's the time I've been stuck with melting groceries from the Food Lion ... but not this year ... I shall be going OUT for dinner, thanks to you guys. Take care, and ciao.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -