Reload this Page >

My nephews are bored...need a theme park near NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:24 AM
gemma

My family from the Philippines is visiting me this month (school's off back home). I have 4 nephews and nieces...ages 10 to 4...who would like to go to a theme park where they can spend the whole weekend riding roller coasters until their little hearts burst with happiness. We took them to Boston last weekend and the little devils turned to stone from boredom. Does anyone know of a theme park that's open already? I live in Brooklyn and Hershey Park in PA and 7 flags in NJ are both still closed. Any suggestions to bring kids would be great?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:28 AM
gemma

I forgot to add that I rented a van which I have until next tuesday hence I wanted a place where we use it. So no Museum of Natural History advc please. ..pls help folks. I am running out of ideas.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Faina

Gemma, at 10 a child is capable of doing Internet search. Let him/her to find a theme park or a museum and get all info s/he can get. It will deal with their boredom and give you free time... to wash that van perhaps?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Ellen

Haven't got a clue as to what amusement parks are open in April. However, what about the Bronx Zoo? That should keep them busy for a day. Ir a baseball game if the Mets or Yankees are around.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:34 AM
nyc

Six (not 7) Flags in NJ is open on weekends now. (10Am-8PM) http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/home.asp

Did you need something during the week? Are you limited to a day trip - if not, could check out Busch Gardens, VA and King's Dominion?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Molly

Gemma, The Great Escape in Lake George {too far?} is good, but I don't know when they open. It used to be called Storytown and was more special years ago, with miniature houses and enchanting themes - it's more generic now - but kids still have a great time there. Admission includes a waterpark, and you can get discount tickets at some grocery stores including Price Chopper.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:04 PM
nina

Gemma I don't know if any Theme Parks are open yet, but what about the beach? There are plenty of town beaches that are normally closed to the public but are open now because it is before the official "season". A lot of the beaches have great playgrounds and skateparks, like Compo Beach in Westport. They could wear themselves out and it wouldn't cost you anything.

Also, you could drive to Mystic seaport. It's open year round. The kids love that, it's outdoors, educational and you'll like it too. There is also the Mystic aquarium.

Closer there is the Maritime Center Aquarium in Norwalk, CT which also has an IMAX theatre. Practically right next door to the Maritime Aquarium is a new childrens museum. The kids could definitely amuse themselves for the whole day between those two spots.

You could do the Essex Stam train and riverboat ride in Essex CT. These are just a few of the things in the area I've done to keep my kids busy.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Brooklyn

Hey how about a trip to Coney Island>??

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Merilee

Gemma, my suggestion is not a theme park, but there is plenty to do at the Palisades Mall In West Nyack, (Rockland County) New York...there's batting cages, an arcade of games, cars, a carousel, movies, an IMAX theater, a food court and lots more...I don't know where you live, but this is only about 20 miles of New York City and almost on the border of some of the towns in Bergen County, New Jersey.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
suzanne

I was just at Coney Island this weekend - the Cyclone was open and so were some of the kiddie rides. Not everything was open, though. It looked like they were "test running" a lot of things...perhaps it will all be open next weekend? Coney Island's advantage is that it's close to you and definitely NOT crowded. If it's warm, the kids can play on the beach, too. And the nearby aquarium is supposed to be good.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:01 AM
Emily

Six Flags New England in Agawam, Ma is now open on the weekends - open daily from Memorial Day - September.