Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My Love for Frontier Airlines has dissapated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little over a year ago we got very excited when Frontier started service from the tiny Trenton/Mercer Airport in NJ, just a 20 minute drive from our house. First of all they had FREE parking. How can you beat that? But more important they offered non stop flights to several cities in Florida including Ft. Myers, perfect for us. We also took advantage of a non stop flight for a four day weekend in New Orleans as a cost of something like $100 each -- round trip!.

But then we soon found out that like some other airlines they first offer a flight about 4 or 5 months before it goes, and at super savings -- like $49 or $69 each way! Unfortunately seats fill up and the prices go up, so before long we were finding that two or three months out flights to Ft. Myers could cost as much as $400 round trip -- suddenly much cheaper with other airlines from Newark or Philadelphia.

But as soon as flights were offered for this December and for January, we booked a week in each -- at what we thought were great prices -- about $189 round trip each, sure that the prices would go up. So now I look at our flight for next week and see that it has actually gone down -- now $139 each round trip. And our January flight has gone down as well. Well, no real biggie as they are still good prices.

But here's the real catch. Since booking when parking was always free before, they now charge $8 a day. So suddenly we've added $64 to our flights. OK, I understand that maybe they needed to charge something for parking, but from 0 to $8 a day? Really? Suddenly the advantages of taking Frontier are rapidly disappearing.

Meanwhile, I know their hub is Denver. And so it seemed maybe we could get a flight to California via Denver -- seems logical, no? Well it ends up that planes to Denver stop in Chicago, and while it is possible to fly within one day from Trenton to California, it seems you cannot fly back! In fact, they won't even book a return ticket. You must buy separate tickets from California to Denver and then the next day another flight from Denver to Trenton via Chicago. What's wrong with this schedule and this picture?

Just wanted to rant. Thanks.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

ooops. And yes I know the word is dissipated.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 07:52 AM

Well I guess they had to start charging for parking in order to pay for those important amenities like BATHROOMS and REFRESHMENTS in the waiting area after you passed through security.

I also saw that there is now an actual jetway so no more standing on the tarmac in the rain waiting to go up the stairs to board the plane.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Good point, NJriverchick. I hadn't heard yet if they added restrooms and perhaps even a drinking fountain after security. It was bad not being able to take water through security and then being held prisoner waiting unable to even get a sip of water anywhere, let alone use a restroom. No wonder the restrooms on the planes were so busy in flight!

Oh and a real jetway? I had no idea they were adding that.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Patrick, not sure if Frontier does this, but Alaska will credit you with the difference if the price of your tickets goes down from the time you bought it. I've taken advantage of that a couple of times. Worth a try?
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm. I doubt it, but you're right. Worth a try!
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 12:18 PM

We are lucky to pay $8/day, if we have a coupon for covered, off-airport parking. It does add up when you pay it upon returning home. But it's better than $22/day in airport covered parking.

Flying is a PIA all the way around.

I will head to our airport tonight at 5:30pm to pick up DD. Oh, goody. I can only imagine the crowds.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Seriously, you're griping about $8/day parking at an AIRPORT?

And that's not on Frontier, that's on the airport.

You live in/near Trenton - that's your choice. Griping that your village of 85K people lacks transport options and isn't serviced to your expectation by a low-cost airline that primarily connects the midwest and the rockies with the rest of the country seems like a waste of kilobits when you're close to two large airports. If you can get better prices in Philly or Newark, go for it. But you're not going to get better parking costs.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Big Russ did you honestly not understand my post? Of course it's may still be cheaper than big cities, but that wasn't the point. The only real advantage of Frontier offering service out of this little airport with no real choices of times or even which days they fly was that at least it was free to park there. The MAIN thing Frontier advertised when they opened here was free parking, but that's no longer true. You're right. I have other options. I'm sorry you don't want to hear my explanation of my disappointment in how quickly this program changed.
Oh and by the way, we normally pay $6 a day to park at Philly just offsite with shuttle service. The same is available at Newark. So Trenton is MORE expensive than either of them, as there are no such options. So you were wrong about "you're not going to get better parking options" at those other airports.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 07:20 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
It was just a question of time before they started to charge for parking. They have made improvements to the airport from what I have seen as I do drive by often since I only live 10 mins away. I have not flown them as their flight schedules and/or prices have not fit in with my travel plans. It is still a waiting game to see if Frontier lasts in Trenton. There have been many other companies that have tried but they all ended up closing their route to Trenton. Maybe they will be different as this the first time I have seen these types of improvements made in a while.
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes, sassy, I question too how long Frontier will last at Trenton. Last season it was impossible to get tickets close to flight. I was shocked to see that our flight to Florida next Friday is not only half open, but has been REDUCED in price to $69 each way. Add in the loss of the benefit of the free parking.

Then look at the inconvenience of their flights. We were thrilled last year when we could fly to Florida on Saturday and return the following Sunday at great times. They only do three flights a week to Florida, and they've even changed the times of those to far less convenient (for us and presumably others), and they've dropped the Sunday flights so we have to come home a day earlier. Last year we were thrilled with a Friday morning non stop flight from Trenton to New Orleans and a return late on Monday afternoon -- a great four day trip with the first and last days scheduled for almost a full day IN New Orleans. But guess what, they've already dropped service to New Orleans.

I guess the bottom line is if the airport now charges for parking like others, and if the schedules are now more sporadic and inconvenient, what is the advantage of using them out of Trenton over our more flexible options elsewhere? I think the initial interest about their offerings are going to very quickly dwindle as any benefits of traveling with them from TTN disappear.
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM

I don't like to pay for parking, but that wouldn't be the make or break deal for me ever when picking an airline or airport.

With all airlines and locations it seems to me that you really have to shop around. Then figure in all the fees whether it's bags or parking. This is also true with hotels(a lot now charge resort fees and parking fees)and car rentals.

Gimmicks only work for a little while or to attempt to draw in customers. Eventually people figure things out.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

"I also saw that there is now an actual jetway so no more standing on the tarmac in the rain waiting to go up the stairs to board the plane."

NJriverchick, we flew out to Florida last Saturday and returned today. Yes, there is an actual jetway, however it seems not to be in use. The departure gate is at the ground floor. That jetway goes out from the second floor, so there is no way (currently at least) that it is getting used. We still walked out into the freezing temperatures and climbed the long ramp to our plane standing in the freezing wind when the line formed outside the plane.

But the clincher was today. We arrive in the snow storm. We can see the jetway, but again it's not in use. So we deplane by going down the ramp, but there is someone there telling us we no longer go through the terminal. Everyone must go to the right of the terminal (quite a good walk from our plane) into a tiny new metal building --like a double wide trailer-- which serves now as baggage claim. Even if you have no baggage you go through this little building and out the back door. Then you follow a new sidewalk that goes clear around the east end of the terminal and climbs the full hill to the upper level where the parking lot is. Again -- this was all in the snowstorm -- you are unable to enter the terminal for arrivals, unless you go around to the front and enter the doors. This all seemed like some horribly planned temporary situation, but an attendant told us it is "the new improved arrivals system that keeps arrivals and departures separate".

Well, they did add a restroom and snack bar after the security so at least when you're waiting you have that for departures.

Parking was $8 a day. And there are two gates with unmanned machines. Someone was blocking one with their emergency flashers, apparently unable to make the machine work. Fortunately we were a couple of the first ones out through the single pay station, but behind us were about 30 to 40 cars in line. Ouch.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:23 PM

......I know their hub is Denver. And so it seemed maybe we could get a flight to California via Denver -.......

Frontier has not hubbed in Denver for several years. When Midwest owned them it was more Chicago and Indianapolis. Within the past month Frontier was sold to Spirit or to the Spirit owners. Best speculation is that Frontier will be turned into a Spirit type of very low fare airline.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Maybe I'm not using the right terminology for "hub", but here is Frontier's route map. Click on Denver and tell me what you see. It sure seems to be the "center" of their flights in the US.

http://www.flyfrontier.com/plan-book...ules/route-map
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Sorry. Also meant to say -- click on most cities in the midwest, west, or even south and watch the line go to to Denver then starburst out over the rest of the country. Isn't that the very definition of "hub"?
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:49 PM

My dad worked for Frontier in the early 70's(when they were actually pretty big). As far as I know, their hub has always been in Denver.
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking maybe fmpden was just a little confused. From Frontier's own current website:

"Its primary hub is at the Denver International Airport."
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 02:22 PM

Corporate office is in Denver too.
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 03:24 PM

Denver is Frontier's main hub. We locals were disappointed to have them bought by Spirit, which in no way will improve services, just nickle and dime you to death. We deserted them when they started to charge for bags since SW does not. But we appreciate their contributions to Denver's economy, and want to support Denver employees who live here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -