Search

My Impression...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Karen

My Impression...

Just got back from New Orleans (OK, a few weeks ago). I didn't realize a few things...we didn't have enough money for one thing! Things are not that expensive around here! Even when we venture to Orlando (about an hour east of us), it just isn't that expensive for food, drinks, and cover charges. I'm not knocking it, I just wasn't prepared.
The people were all very friendly (especially the drunks!) and the beer was awesome. The streets were treacherous - I twisted my ankle four times (this was before I had a buzz going!). I loved all the little shops - I think we managed to cover every one in the French Quarter.
We stayed at a totally unknown hotel called the Hotel Villa Convento. It was only $69 and was a very good value. Nothing fancy, but the staff was friendly and the room was so clean we could have eaten off the floor! The smell of ammonia was pretty strong,though. The location was excellent - it's on Ursulines right by the French Market. Sort of a quiet side street but very convenient.
My biggest disappointment was the smell! I can't believe this is a city in the United States and it's this filthy! I've been to foreign countries that were way cleaner than New Orleans! I take it as it is, but it's really a bummer trying to walk through those stinky streets with a hangover!
We are going to go back and give it another try because we can see it has the potential to be a great vacation! Next time around, we will bring more money and spend more time (we were only there for 3 nights)!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 01:35 PM
Meg

Karen - I am glad you are willing to give N.O. another chance. The smell can get bad this time of year. Between the heat and a severe lack of rain, the smell can be overwhelming. Try to come back in the winter - but hotel rooms aren't as cheap then. As for expensive food and drink, the Quarter is probably the most expensive place b/c they like to target tourists, but inexpensive and good food is available. E-mail me before you return, and I'll be happy to recommend some good places. Glad to hear you like the Villa Convento. A lot of people go there for the great rates, but I've never gotten any feedback on how it was other than the rooms are on the small side.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Karen

Thanks Meg! We were thinking of trying to visit during the Jazz Festival since we love jazz. It'll probably be pretty hot then,too. We'll have to bring *way* more money for that time of year, I'm sure!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 09:47 AM
John

Karen, thanks for the trip report. I agree that parts of Bourbon Street smell pretty icky during the warmest summer days...thank goodness it's confined to just a few blocks near all of the bars!!

Also, you may want to do a more descriptive header next time. I passed this one by twice because "My Impression" didn't say anything to me about what city this was about! FYI.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Meg

Yes, JazzFest time is expensive and can be quite warm. Be forewarned that rooms for next year's festival are probably already booked up. Many places double (maybe triple) their rates and have 2 - 5 night minimum stays. The festival itself can be very expensive, but it's definitely a N.O. experience - and the food is GREAT!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:41 PM
gail

ok I plead ignorant... Why are the streets treacherous? I am picturing cobblestones in my mind.. or are we talking too much partying the night before? I am only asking because it sounds like a good pair of tennis shoes would be more comfortable(than lets say sandals etc.) from your description. Thanks for the report. I can't wait to get there!

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Meg

There are several factors that contribute to treacherous streets. First, the concrete and/or bricks are incredibly uneven. It's hard to walk and look around at the same time. I've learned just to walk looking down. If you want to look around, stand still while doing do. Second, mule droppings abound. The sanitation crews as well as home and business owners try to keep the streets washed off, but it's impossible. Third, and the most disgusting, vomit and beer really get sticky in the heat. Tennis shoes are a good idea.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 12:20 PM
gail

Wow! sounds like NOLA is a real eye-opener. I am not sure whether to be grossed out or intriqued! I ordered Benets mix from Cafe DuMond and wonder are they sold in threes or by the piece? How much are they? The box was only $2.00 so I got curious.My daughter insists when she wan in NOLA the benets were round.She was there at Mardi Gras, so maybe she was mistaken?

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 06:26 PM
x

Gail, are you talking about beignets?

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 06:59 PM
Meg

Beignets cost $1.10 for an order of three. They are triangular or somewhat square in shape.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 10:21 AM
gail

Thanks Meg! .

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 02:55 PM
xxx

as for smells in NO, I think Meg was right about the weather, rain, and those smells being confined to the quarter.

But you must explore NO! One of my favorite things about New Orleans are the smells...walking along the streets and smelling the night jasmine, sweet olive and ginger. Talk about a sensory high!!!!! If you come for Jazz Fest, gardens will definately be in bloom.

My advice...get out of the quarter, and see the real New Orleans!

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Meg

Beignet update: Went to Cafe du Monde today and beignets are now $1.25 an order.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 05:19 AM
Brian in Atlanta

This price gouging is getting out of control. I'm thinking of starting a boycott . . .

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Ann

Okay, now I'm the Yankee in the group. What is a Beignet?? I'll treat the person who clues me in with an order of Indian Pudding at Durgin Park! Thanks.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:04 AM
John

Ann, a beignet is a fried doughnut (hollow in the middle) covered in powdered sugar. They really aren't anything special, yet people line up to get them! I can't believe they are now $1.25 an order, but I guess that's the price of success. Now your turn...what's Indian Pudding?

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Dick

Now, I have no doubt that John knows perfectly well what a beignet is, but his description is a little misleading. They don't have "holes" like doughnuts. As someone earlier said, they're little puffed-up rectangular pillows of fried dough, something more like a squared-off jelly donut (without the jelly, obviously). I think John was trying to say that some of them have large air spaces inside, which some of them do.

As a Bostonian, and since Ann seems to be occupied elsewhere - - Indian Pudding is a cooked mixture of primarily cornmeal, molasses, and ginger with sometimes additions of other spices such as cinnamon and other sweeteners such as brown sugar. It has the consistency of porridge and is usually eaten warmed. I am told that some people actually enjoy it.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 01:36 PM
John

Thanks Dick. You cleared up my beignet description quite well! I think "hollow in the middle" sounds correct but if you think some people will take that to mean a "hole" in the middle, then I appreciate the clarification! (The shape of beignets remind me of Crab Rangoon at an Asian restaurant).

As for the Indian Pudding, I doubt I'd like it but I'll always try anything once! I'll have to remember it for my next trip to Boston.