My Home Is An Art Gallery ... Huntington Library, Art Collections & Gardens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we’d already taken a tour of the Botanical Garden at the Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens in a previous story, today we’ll concentrate on the building that contains the museum’s European Art Collection. Interestingly, it was also the mansion where Henry and Arabella Huntington resided at times. First, we walked through the living area and then witnessed a massive array of artwork on the mansion's two floors. This is just another reason why the Huntington is one of my favorite museums in the world, which starts its 100 year birthday celebration in September.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/hun...on-san-marino/

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rode my bike up there quite often from San Gabriel/San Marino back in the 50s & 60s.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Wow! Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures and narrative.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sludick ...

"I rode my bike up there quite often from San Gabriel/San Marino back in the 50s & 60s."

In the 1960s I might have run in to you ... literally.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 10:42 AM

Very early 60s,. I received a drivers license in June 1963. Then we might have run into each other on Colorado Blvd or Huntington Drive.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 07:40 PM

A wonderful museum and grounds; we’ve been members for over ten years. The mansion, as you’ve described here, the Library, the American museum, the multiple gardens - Chinese, Japanese, palm, desert, rose, herb, the Children’s Garden with its interactive displays (magnets, mists, climbing platforms, places to hide) - one of the best places in the LA area!

Our favorite summer outing is the Members Summer Evenings, when we can picnic with our kids and grandchildren on the grounds and listen to music. Our spot is always the same - the allee of statues that the mansion overlooks, with the fountain at the apex.

Thanks for a great article, Tom!
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 06:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Tom. Looks fabulous. Will try to get there someday soon.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

MoBro ... I love it best in May when gardens are bursting with colors, but it's always great to visit.

Old Sep 4th, 2019, 07:04 AM

Old Sep 4th, 2019, 07:04 AM

We considered ourselves blessed to live close by to the Huntington for the decades we lived in South Pasadena. For a time I was a library docent there. When we moved to Sacramento we kept our membership and make visits when we are in town visiting friends. We were just there this past Sunday, and had a real treat as the infamous Blue Boy painting by Gainsborough, while being restored, is wheeled out on the first Sunday of the month for display, and a curator talk about the project. Their art education program is top notch. Here are some summer colors from the gardens.