New England Aquarium
Museum of Science

Go to Salem
• See The House of Seven Gables
• ??????

Day 4 Tuesday, Aug 20

Freedom Trail
Trinity Church

Do you think I have too much planned for these days? Do you think the Aquarium and the Musuem of Science will take up most of the day and we shouldn't see Salem? Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:16 AM
jake

I can tell you that the aquarium and Science museum will knock you out. Both are great but are big and very crowded in the Summer. Salem is ok, but a bit over rated. Newbury street/Copley is very nice.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:31 AM
zootsi

Instead of Salem, you might want to go to the observatory at the Prudential Center, which is not too far from Newberry street. Also, don't miss a dinner in the North End, and a stroll around Quincy market.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Amy

I would recommend stopping by Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Market around lunchtime on day 2- Also Freedom Trail (day 4) covers much of the stuff you are doing day 2.... you could combine much of it. Or break it into two days, covering part of the freedom trail one day, then the rest the next. There is a visitors information center for the freedom trail that gives out free maps, and they might be able to tell you the best way to divide it. You don't say who is going on this trip, if you are all adults in reasonably good shape, I don't see many problems covering the whole trail in one day, but as a kid (12 years old) my parents schlepped me around the whole freedom trail, which made me a cranky brat the rest of the trip. And as an adult who now lives in the Boston area, I have brought friends and family around to see the Freedom trail, and it can be really hard on kids to do that much walking/history. Also, I can easily spend the whole day at the museum of science, it's been a while since I went to the aquarium, so I'm not sure if that would also be a whole day affair.
You don't say if you are renting a car, but if you skip Salem, I think you could do the whole trip on the T or by foot, just take a taxi to/from the airport (it is now more expensive with the $6 fee for the big dig, but still cheaper than renting a car) and the Harvard Square T station is one of the places you can get visitor's T passes that cover unlimited travel for 2-3 days.... I think. Check www.mbta.com to be sure. Hope you have fun ( and that this heatwave breaks before you arrive!)

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Margaret

NO ONE walks the WHOLE Freedom Trail! Most folks stop with the sights in the North End and skip the continuation to the Bunker Hill Monument and Constitution. In my opinion, the North End, not Salem, is overrated. Salem is a lovely day trip. Last time we went to the North End, I shopped every grocery and was unable to find ANY tagliatelli or decent balsamic vinegar. Sheesh! Then, we had a ridiculously overpriced dinner of mediocre food in a not very clean (we realized later) establishment where they acted like we were lucky to have a table there, even though they were not full, and all of the help spent the entire time we were there in a huddle having a grand old time but not waiting on customers or delivering food when it was "up". And, besides, you have to climb through the Big Dig to get to the North End. Yuk!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Sharon

This sounds like a good trip. The Aquarium really doesn't take much longer than 2-2 1/2 hours even with the seal show. Maybe you could combine it with a harbor cruise. Salem is OK, but I would go to Lexington/Concord, Rockport/Gloucester, Newburyport, or Lowell National Historical Park (all of which can be reached by public trans.) before Salem.
Have a great trip.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Amy

I wouldn't skip the Constitution... It's a really cool boat. Bunker Hill monument is pretty dull, but if you go when it is open, and want to climb ALOT of stairs, it supposedly has a great view. ( I am afraid of heights, so I can't speak from experience.) I have been to several Fabulous restaurants in the North End... get a Zagat's guide to Boston, most of the highly recommended places are worth it.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:37 AM
matt

Not trying to dissuade you from going to the North End because it is wonderful, but there have been several recent attacks on women. I don't know if you have any females going with you, but keep you eyes open.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Linda

Hi,

I live in Boston and love Salem. I was just there last week to meet some friends for lunch and a few drinks.

I would highly recommend the Rockmore Floating Restaurant, 94 Wharf St., Salem, MA; (978)740-1001 www.rockmoreco.com

You catch the boat from pickering wharf (a cute little shopping area) and take a 5 minute ride out to a barge.

Here's what the Phantom Gourmet says www.phantomgourmet.com:

Snuggled among the boats in beautiful Salem Harbor is a restaurant that will buoy the spirits of anyone looking for a unique dining experience.

The Rockmore is a floating restaurant in the middle of Salem harbor.

Only accessable by boat, the Rockmore Floating Restaurant is certainly not your typical dinner house.

The Rockmore is actually a system of floats, and they've got fresh water tanks, they've got a full kitchen, all enclosed with steel plates in the deck. they've got a full grill, fry-o-laters, the works. they've got a full bar on the main float. They have their own sewage and fresh water system, they have our own flush toilets, their own music system, and computer system, they even take Visa and MasterCard."

Step off the boat, onto the Rockmore, and get ready for some serious seafood. The menu may not be extensive, but it is impressive considering the conditions the kitchen must cope with.

The Fisherman's Platter is a fried food fantasy, filled with clams, scallops, shrimp, and scrod. The Lobster Roll is packed with fresh meat, and served with a side of fries. Frequently found on the specials board is a Lobster and Steamer Platter that will satisfy even a sailor-sized appetite. Landlubbers can also chow down on Bacon Cheeseburgers or Turkey Roll-ups.

You might think that dining on the sea could be a little unsettling on the stomach, but not here.

Right off of this dock has some of the biggest stripers in the area, and they call it the wild fish show. You take the french fries, throw them overboard, and they just come crawling out of the water.

Open Memorial Day to Labor Day, the Rockmore is a great way for anyone to get out on the water. But on a beautiful summer day, their 65 seats can fill up fast, so boaters in the know call ahead, tie up, and dine aboard their own deck.

When you are in Salem, also be sure to visit one of the famous psychics for a reading. This is a bit expensive but fun. I have been to the one on the side street across from the Hawthorne Hotel. I forget the name, but it is a husband and wife team.

P.S. the Hawthorne also serves a great Sunday brunch.

Have fun!!
-Linda

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Rachel;

Grew up in Boston and just returned from trip there. We did the Freedom Trail and I think you will find it incorporates much of your day 2 itinerary. It starts at the Boston Common, goes through the downtown area. Depends whether you are doing it yourself or on a guided tour. The guides are very informed and funny. However, they each cover only part of the Freedom Trail(for example, the part with the Boston Common, the granary, Faneuil Hall). As far as a day trip goes, Salem is lovely. My mom was an English and American History teacher and she took us there every summer. But, my vote for a daytrip would have to be Newport, RI. The mansions are amazing, closest thing we have to castles! Also, a better combination than the Aquarium and the Science Museum in one day, would be to take a harbor cruise or ferry from the dock which is right next to the Aquarium.. It is too much to do the Aq. and Science Museum in one day. Have fun!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Dan

Our only bad meal while in Boston recently was an Italian (duh!) place in the North End recommended by Fodors. They must pay to be included in the book because it was TERRIBLE!!!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:29 PM
sandy

Dan- which restaurant was it so we don't make the same mistake??