Boston/Cambridge area trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!! My husband is taking us to Boston this weekend, I have not been there since I was a mere child! We have two elementary children and we will be touring while husband is in training most of the days next week.
Has anyone taken a "ducktour", and is there good food places that are good and bargain priced? Where are there some off the beaten path tours that children 10 and under would like.
Whatever tips would be greatly appreciated.
History is also a huge importance.
Ebeth
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:31 AM

The Duck Tour is a must and you should try to make reservations on-line..The Museum of Science,the Aquarium and Quincy Market...all to start.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:45 AM
TKT

The North End has Old North Church and the Paul Revere house. Hanover Street has many places to sit and enjoy cold drinks and ice cream, Cafe Vittoria and Cafe Pompei are good.
The North End is a 5 minute walk from Quincey Market.
Do not drive there!!!Try to avoid using a Boston.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Ten and under, huh?

Fanuel Hall/Quncey market has a food-court area (but with local, very tasty selections). You could have a picnic-style lunch indoors or out.

The duck tour would be fun.
The Tea Party Ship -- you can throw a bale of tea overboard.
The Children's museum.
The Aquarium has lots of cool hands-on stuff (pick up a starfish, for example).
The Swan Boats in the Public gardens.

The kids might enjoy the Freedom Trail -- pick up some info in the (Nat' Park) Visitors center, and follow the trail which is painted right on the sidewalk. But probably they'll want to quit early.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Ok, the Ducktour is a "go", but I have to wait until 5 days prior to our visit to purchase them. The Freedom trail is also a must, but you're right, if it's too hot, they get hungry, or their feet start to hurt...they want to stop...girls!!!!

Any favorite eateries? I found out on the Ice Cream thread a few great ice cream places we will definitely have to try. On PBS's Reading Rainbow show once a year ago or so, there was a restaurant family owned that make their own pasta, pizza and such...possibly in Cambridge? Ok there are probably several of these, any favorites?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:56 AM

my 8&10 year old nephews visited last year, and they are still talking about the duck tour. They especially liked the part where they were allowed to drive the boat.

we took the tour that left from the Science Museum, and spent a couple of hours there afterwards. We took them to see an IMAX film, which the older one enjoyed (the younger one was too tired, and fell asleep during it).

They also loved the Aquarium. The "petting tanks" where they could touch sea urchins and starfish was a big hit. And actually, even if we hadn't gone inside, they loved watching the seals who you can see from outside.

I think the freedom trail, as a whole, is a little long, and has too many parts the kids would find boring. They might like the North End. They also might like visiting the USS IRonsides.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Took my 10 year old son there last summer and had a blast! He loved the Duck Tour and the Museum of Science. Tea Party Ship was closed. He loved the Freedom Trail and walked all of it except for one stop, but he is a major history buff. North End was very cool with yummy food. Quincy Market area was fun. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Might want to take the water-shuttle over to Charlestown Navy Yard - it leaves from right near the Aquarium. Walk over to Old Ironsides. Also see the Old Ironsides Museum nearby, and consider touring the WWII destroyer "Cassien Young" (sp?) on the same pier as the Constitution.

Follow the red line of the Freedom Trail up to the Battle of Bunker Hill Monument and let those "young-uns" climb up to the top & burn some energy while you wait for them <g> If the kids hava a sense of culinary adventure, there's good food prices at Chinatown restaurants, as well as some Indian/Pakistani restaurants over near MOFA & Symphony Hall ... on Huntington as I recall. Oh- and if u are in that area and there's a baseball fan, go to Fenway.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Regarding North End - every weekend in the summer there is a "feast" or festival to some saint - basically a huge street fair with food, a parade where they march around a statue of that particular saint, etc. This night be fun - but also be aware that it impacts restaurants in the area as well.

I would head to Haymarket area relatively early AM Saturday (like around 8). Have a coffee and pastry and browse the vendor carts in the open-air market. The kids will love to see the big carts of ice piled with all sorts of whole fish with heads, gills, etc - and you will likely get to see whole octupus and squid, too.

Then head over to Faneuil Hall for some history and possibly pick up part of Freedom Trail in this area. Head back towards Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, as mentioned above, for lunch. On weekend you will likely see some street performers which usually range from OK to really excellent.

Another option is to head to Chinatown, a relatively small Asian area. Kids will enjoy seeing live chickens waiting to be selected for dinner as well as whole meat animals hanging in windows.

Duck Tour is really fun, but pricey. Aquarium, in my opinion, is only average. Children's Museum and Museum of Science are very good.

I would go to Boston.com/travel. They give weekly listings of events that might be useful.