Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My bad experience at Maui Eldorado (long)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:11 PM
chuck

Just back from 28 days (our 9th trip) to Maui and the BI. While on Maui and the BI with my better half we stayed at the Hyatt and 4seasons respectively. After my wife went home, I went back to Maui for an extra 10 days by myself for some extra golf.

Since I was going to be by myself and out of the room a lot playing golf, I certainly wasn't going to stay at the hyatt or any other 4 star hotel and was looking for a condo place since again by myself I knew I'd be eating in often.

The Eldorado seemed like a perfect place. Reasonable rate, My studio was $116, Notable chain, decent postings in the past here, and on the Kaanapali golf courses.

My experince was terible. I checked in at 9:55 (5 minutes before the front desk closes), went to my room was greeted by three dead roches on the floor and one live and one dead gecko. While the unit appeared clean (dead bugs and lizards not withstanding), it certainly was dated. The air conditioning unit looked to be 40 years old (old style round thermostat) and was very loud and the bed was the worst I had ever slept on in a hotel. Also, the tv for the bedroom was a 13 inch TV vcr combo that I could barely see form the head of the bed it appeared so small.

Needless to say I wasn't staying but since the front desk had closed, i had to wait to the morning to leave. The manager was very gracious, indicated they were having bug problems and reduced my rate by $50 for the one night without my asking. They asked if I wanted to try another unit which I politely declined.

I went up to 1 bedroom unit at Kapalua which was like night and day-3 times as big, modern, quiet and immaculate.

One last thing, the eldorado felt like a motel (i.e you drive almost right up to your door, there were people hanging out in the parking lot etc...). If this is going to bother you I would recomend against it. I cannot recommend the units at kapalua enough, I could live in that unit all year (as many people do) it was bigger than our first aprtment by far.

Obviously this is only my experience and your actual mileage may vary. While the unit was terrible, the management was professional and courteous.

Please post if you have any further questions, I would be glad to respond. I have now spent over 100 days and nights on Maui so I think I can add some insight.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Carp

We (a group of four girls) were looking at this hotel/resort. Looking for something on the beach, reasonably priced that is close to nightlife. Can you swim at the beach in front of the hotel? Would we be better off at Maui Islander or Royal Kahana?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:33 AM
x

The El Dorado is not on the beach. Check it out. http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrmauieldorado.html

Here's the maui islander: http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrmauiislander.html

and here is the royal kahana: http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrroyalkahana.html Though this looks like it's closest to the beach here's the scoop about the beach: The skinny sand beach seems to accumulate a lot of smelly seaweed and they don't have a program to remove it so the odor is pretty unpleasant. (The seaweed accumulation seems worst at this part of the beach.) The water here can be gross.

None of these are close to night life. Try Kanapali Beah Holel instead. Better value, better location, better resort.

Old Apr 12th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chuck, review of Eldorado was helpful to me as I had been considering it. Not now. Could you please share where in Kapalul you stayed?? Have been searching for 1 bed condo in Kaanapali would like either Kaanapali Villas or the Papakea but would be happy with not far from this location. Live in Australia so would be happy with a few suggestions from someone in the "know".
Cheers Julie
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggar, this post is from 9 years ago. You are better off starting your own thread asking your questions.