My 1st night CT sorted!!

Search

My 1st night CT sorted!!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1st night CT sorted!!

After taking on board all the very good comments i got regarding where to spend my 1st night in NY after coming over from the UK.
Initially booked a BW in Fairfield, but given rush hour traffic and comments about the roads cancelled that, we have now booked 1 night at the Fairfield Inn JFK airport (as close as you can get eh)
We will be that knackered that a nice meal and a soft bed is all we require before we start our hol proper.

Again, many thanks to all who advised ..

Also, am thinking of only spending a couple of days in Litchfield area, then going up to Sturbridge in Mass for 1 day (ish) and down into Rhodes island couple days onto Mystic area then home.

Does this sound ok??
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:27 AM

I think it sounds OK. Litchfield is beautiful, but IMHO, you don't need more than 2 days or so. Sturbridge MA is a good 2nd stop and going to the ocean in Rhode Is. is great. Do Mystic if you have time and like that kind of stuff.

By home, do you mean, back to JFK?

Good luck!
Sarah
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

yes, JFK airport for our return flight to UKy, am also hoping to get to plymouth area for 1 night as well
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM
J62

I know you're planning to stay near JFK upon arrival but I suggest you rethink that.

What time does your flight arrive? If you arrive before 7 or 8pm I would get on the road and out of NYC. If it's a late flight into JFK (9 or 10pm arrival, then you may be better to stay near JFK.

It's a relatively short, daytime flight from the UK, so it's not like you've missed a night of sleep. Yes, there is traffic, but there will also be traffic the next day when you want to get out of NYC.

I live about the same distance from JFK as Fairfield (N instead of NE) and have flown in at all times of the day, from 6am to after midnight and everything in between. The first 10miles from JFK is the part that can slow to a crawl, but once you cross the Whitestone Bridge into the Bronx you are on more open freeway.

At times I've hit worse traffic at 2am (construction) and 7am (morning rush hour) than arriving in the evening.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:59 AM
J62

I see from your other thread that you land at 3:45pm. Luggage and car rental, you'll be on the road by 5.

I routinely arrive at that time, even on a Friday. I'd bite the bullet and get out of the city to Westchester county (Rye or White Plains area), or 45min further to Danbury CT.

Also, the route I would take to Litchfield would be I-684 North to Brewster NY, then East on I-84 towards Danbury. There are a couple of nice, convenient hotels in Danbury (Hilton Garden Inn). The 684/84 route will be far less busy than taking I-95 towards Bridgport.
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all replies, am taking them on board and might reaccess things, hope weather this time of year is kind
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:21 AM
GerdaFaust

I don't think the airport hotel is guaranteed to offer you a "nice meal and a soft bed!" I agree with the others... get out of the area, if you can and make your way to Litchfield County.

Old May 13th, 2007, 12:28 PM

AnnRiley: I MUST second the last post. In fact we took some friends to JFK last Monday for their overnight at the new Days Inn, before their 7 am flight to Vancouver. Days Inn had no food, suggested the Fairfield Inn, where we observed a busy bar, and a microwave oven where you could nuke your packaged sandwich!! UGH. We ended up five miles away in an Appleby's in a downmarket shopping center. double UGH. Get out of the JFK area - (In a week after posting a question about getting a good meal near JFK, I've had NO replies yet.) Go up to Connecticut, I agree with the suggested route: Hutchinson River PKwy, to 684 to I 84 north to Danbury, CT - at least you'll have a prayer of finding decent food. also you will be much nearer my beloved Litchfield County, where you will find marvelous food (West St. Grill in Litchfield, The Pantry in Washington Depot, many restaurants in New Milford, also in tiny New Preston.) It's glorious country (tho I live in Dutchess County NY now)and light years from what the JFK area offers. sort of like Wales, compared to Heathrow. (though not as far distant, and Heathrow area offers MUCH better hotels and restaurants.) Enjoy your trip.
Old May 13th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Pausanias

I would agree that heading into CT the first night is pretty doable. You could stop in Danbury, as suggested, or continue on 84 to Waterbury, then take Route 8 North to approach Litchfield. Probably not more than another 45 minutes to an hour.

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Hello,

I agree - head out of the JFK area. I noticed you mentioned Sturbridge, MA and would like to recommend a great historical restaurant: The Publick House. They have sweet rolls that are delicious!

-Beth
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Also agree to head away from airport. I came accross this hotel advertisement which you might find interesting. Tarrytown is about 45 min. from the airport and near the I-684 that was suggested you use to get to Litchfield. http://www.tarrytownhouseestate.com/about-tarrytown.php. Good luck!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who replied. Have taken your advice and we will get out of New York as fast as our hire car will take us.

That hotel in Tarrytown looked lovely, but is a bit too expensive for just our first (1) night accomodation.

We we be staying a La quinta inn in stamford for the night, it sounds ok and the price was right for us.

Again, thanks
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
GerdaFaust

LaQuinta Inn in Stamford is a low-budget hotel directly on the highway (I-95). I drove to the area this evening from JFK, and it took 40 minutes at 5pm... it can take up to two hours if there is a traffic problem! Don't expect too much, and you'll be fine.

The diner on the premises, "City Limits," is excellent. We eat here at least twice per month. Fish dishes and outstanding steak/beef dishes, along with special desserts, are not to be missed. The "Country Breakfast" is great!

If you have time, you can shoot over to the charming village of Old Greenwich, about 5-8 minutes away (shortcut -ask at hotel desk), for a great cup of coffee at a unique coffee house called "Arcadia," on Arcadia Road.

Too bad you'll only be there for one night... you will miss spending time touring the backroads of Greenwich, where you could see homes right out of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous!"

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Gerda,
Thanks for info, hopefully we will have time to go for a drive around area as we arrive at JFK about 1.45pm and not 3.45 i originally said.

So will have a drive round old Greenwich for a look.

One of the reasons we picked this hotel (as well as cost) was that the 'Diner' sounded just up our street and means we don't have to drive to get our evening meal and hubby can have a beer!!!

Roll on October, really looking forward to holiday.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:49 AM

I hope you tried the Pizza in New York!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM

And I don't mean Pizza Yuk...Pizza Hut...YUK...
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:49 AM

Gerta - Is City Limits the same owners as the one that is/was in White Plains by the county center? Just curious..

I loved that place! I ate there many times when I worked in the area.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:54 AM
GerdaFaust

Yes, Debit, it is...

And, by the way, I enjoy reading your posts both about lower Fairfield County (where I live), and New Mexico (where I hope to retire - we travel there at least three times per year). Seems you and I have similar frames of reference!

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM

Let me know Gerta if I can help you make your way here to the beautiful southwest.

I lived in NY just over the state line from Ridgefield before moving here. Loved it there too, very different from here. Worked in Valhalla and have family still in Stamford.

Debi
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:31 AM

Maybe I missed your previous posts.

Just a question. Why are you flying all the way from the UK and going to Litchfield CT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -