Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Must we tell hotel we have 3 persons in a room that sleeps 4??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:51 PM
franny

Just a quick question...When booking a hotel room that has 2 queen beds is it possible to get away with paying for only 2 adults when there are going to be 3 sharing the room? We are thinking of trying this in Las Vegas and we always wanted to know if anyone else has tried and what the disadvantages are.
Thanks for all replies

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Sam

Lord, what a cheapskate! Just pay for 3!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:26 PM
frugal, not cheap

If it is a large hotel, and all of 3 of you don't walk up to the desk or use a bellman, you should have no problem.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Jesse Jackson

What you are proposing is lying and stealing. Morally, Biblically, and ethically, you should compensate the hotel for three people because three people instead of two will be causing wear and tear in the room.

When my mistress and I checked into the motels we frequented, we always let the front desk know exactly how many people would be using the room.

Do as I say . . . .

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:02 PM
notcheap

Franny, I agree with frugal, who said if you don't use a bellman or all walk up to register at once, you'll probably be ok. If the hotel includes any freebies, such as breakfast or cocktails, you might have a problem getting tickets, ow whatever they may require for all three. Some hotels charge an outrageous amount for two, then add a significant fee for additional occupants. I really don't like to pay that, and will sometimes only register for two, when their are three of us.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:12 PM
hey sam

Hey Sam, just read your posts on this and the question about Galveston. You are just rude!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Honest

*Heavy sigh* What's the world coming to? People don't seem to know right from wrong anymore.

If you lie upon check-in and say 2 people when there are more, you are lying. You are also stealing. You are not being frugal. You are being dishonest.

Try this. Just call the hotel and tell them a third person will be joining you. Ask them to waive the fee. Speak to a manager if the clerk won't do it, and threaten to take your business elsewhere, or negotiate for them to cut the extra-person fee. That's the honest way to handle this issue.

Trust me. You'll sleep better.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:26 PM
geesh

We're so sorry to discourage you, Reverend. You're right, when a third person is snuck into a $100-per-night hotel room, that is a sure sign of the decline of Western society.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Jason

Sam is not rude. He's telling it how it is. If I buy three apples, I should pay for three. Sneaking one into my pocket and just claiming two at the register isn't fair, is it? It's dishonest and the individual is being cheap.

Besides, I'm convinced this is a troll posting anyway,

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:45 PM
John

Franny, how much is the third person charge? It can't be more than a few dollars, right? The hotel charges this because a 3rd guests uses more water, towels, etc. It's almost always fairly insignificant dollarwise.

I do agree that you can probably get away with it and I doubt the hotel will change the rate EVEN if all three show up at the desk. Personally, I'd just call them and change the guest number to 3 so you'll feel better. Also, there may be a difference in room size...some queen/queen rooms may be larger and the hotel will recognize that for 3 people instead of 2.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Paula

I know that hotels are in it for the money, but I also think a major reason they want to know how many people are in a hotel room is in the event of some type of disaster which requires evacuation. Remember the old MGM Grand in Vegas?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:48 AM
franny

Thanks for your replies...No, this is not a troll posting. We are willing to pay the additional charge for a third but first we were curious as to what others have done. BTW, the additional fee for a third person is $20 per night and since we are staying 5 nights that does add up to a significant amount. Thanks again.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Forked Tongue

To answer your question directly, here's what we do:

We are honest with the hotel about how many people are in the room.

We are honest with the airline about the age of our toddler.

We are honest with the amusement park about the ages of the children.

We are honest with the museum when they ask if we are students.

We are honest with the rental car agency when they ask all of those pesky questions.

But then again, in your case, lying to the hotel would save you $100, so I guess it's OK.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Kay

Travellers are faced with the same ethical questions as everyone else. Sure, "the hotels are in it for the money" because they are in business, not charity or nonprofit work. By saying you would pay the charge if small, but not large, you are using situational ethics--stealing $1 is not worth it, but $100 is? What if someone tried the same thing with whatever you or your employer sells?

Check rates, discounts, negotiate, etc., but please be honest.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Margi

Franny, How would you feel if some one stiffed you out of $100? I doubt if you would appreciate it. $20 a night for the extra person is not a lot, if you all can't afford it look for a cheaper hotel, hotels in 'Vegas come in ALL price ranges so I am sure you will find something within your budget limitations. Remember that third person will use a third set of towels (unless you bring your own), extra soap, hotel toiletries, etc. Why not be honest about it and admit to 3 people in the room.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Saintly

I believe most travelers regard hotel room fees as "per room", rather than "per person". When I travel solo, I do not question the fact that my room rate is the same as that charged to a couple...we invariably are both getting the same room with the same amenities.
Franny has paid for her room and it is hers for the duration of her visit. While I would not suiggest that she invite a busload of friends to join her in the room, I do not believe that an ethical crisis is triggered when a third person stays in her paid-for room. Moral decay?...I think not.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:49 AM
mom

This isn't an ethical crisis. But if you are staying for a week you'll want to have enough towels for everyone -- it helps if they know how many are in the room, and if you need more you can ask...

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Come on!

And while you are bringing your own towels, please bring your own water, too.

Tacky, tacky, tacky!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:39 AM
curious

this person must be related the one that wants to use pools at hotels other then where he is staying. What a bunch of cheapskates.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:43 AM
howard

Saintly, you are wrong when say that hotels charge the same for a single or a double. Most hotels have different rates.
I'll agree with a previous poster that $20 a night extra does seem like a lot of money in the overall cost of a vacation to Las Vegas. If it is a lot to you, then perhaps, as suggest, you should look for a less-expensive place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -