Reload this Page >

Must sees in So. California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 03:31 AM
Mikki

We will be spending about a week in the Huntington Beach area this spring. Beside the Disney attractions and Knott's Berry Farm, what would appeal to our kids ages 6, 8, 10? We like outdoor stuff...parks, animals, beach, not theme parks. Thanks.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Joe

They might enjoy a dinner a Medeval (sp?) Times where the dinner show is many medeval games.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 09:00 AM
kam

Drive south to Escondido to the Wild Animal Park and also go to Sea World in San Diego. You might want to see the mission at San Juan Capistrano as well. Take them to Newport Beach to Balboa Island. Beautiful beach in Laguna, in the middle of town. Lots to do in this area--don't just think Huntington Beach, which is nice but a week is too long to stay there only.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 09:01 AM
kam

Whoops, clicked too soon. Also consider a boat to Catalina to go on a glass bottom boat or maybe see the buffalo?? This is a great day with kids. Hydrofoil leaves from Long Beach.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Mikki

Thanks for the ideas. I think the boat to Catalina sounds good. Has anyone been to Joshua Tree
Nat'l Park? Is that doable for a day trip? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks again.

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:46 PM
joe

Catalina is very nice with good(cold) snorkeling in safe, calm areas.The crossing is about an hour in good weather.The inland tours are kind of boring for children.The Wild Animal Park is neat, esp. for children. If you have the funds try to book the photo safari tour that takes you out among the animals.Feeding a giraffe or petting a rhino is great fun.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Dayle

Mikki, Joshua Tree is an absolutely wonderful place that your kids would love. It's world famous for its rock climbing. However, it's a 2 1/2 hour drive from Huntington Beach, one way. If you sneaked an overnight at Palm Springs, it's about 1/2 hour from there.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Shirley

Mikki,
Depending on when you visit in the spring, and how wet the winter is, Joshua Tree Ntl Park will have amazing wild flowers to complement the already beautiful desert vistas. If your kids like the "scenic wonders" type stuff they'll like JTNP. The idea to make it part of an overnight trip to Palm Springs instead of a day trip is good, as freeway traffic can stretch the trip to 3 hours each way from Huntington Beach. If you do make the trip to JTNP, be sure to see Keys View and take the easy hike to Barker Dam and the petroglyphs in Hidden Valley. If you add Palm Springs you can take the kids up the aerial tram to the top of Mt. San Jacinto or try the Children's Discovery Museum, the Palm Springs Air Museum, and the Living Desert Animal Preserve.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:40 PM
xxx

if you can afford it, do the one nighter in palm springs to see joshua park. but, the hotels are pretty expensive but it should be hot and the kids could enjoy the pool. i hear the tram has a special where you can take the tram up and then have dinner at the top. people have enjoyed this.
the wild animal park is good. go inland from huntington to freeway 15 and then south, then return up the coast.
however, keep in mind that if you do both, that's three days travelling during your short holiday. maybe too much for the kids.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:50 PM
pergo

There are inexpensive motels in Palm Springs too, even the ever-loving Motel 6.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Bill I

We have gone a number of times with our 2 boys, now 10 & 14. Other things they have liked is walking along Venice Beach to see all the various people & street performers & buy some souvenirs - some cheesy & some not. One place that I wasn't sure they would like but ended up really liking was the LaBrea Tar Pits. (This is not dinosours, but pre-historic animals such as sabre-tooths, mamoths, etc.) Inside the museum was interesting, but walking around the park to the different pits & displays, & then watching the personnel actually doing some excavation was fun to watch.
We also really liked the harbor area in Long Beach. The aquarium there is really worth it. The kids especially liked the outside ray pool where you could actually touch &/or pet a stingray. Then there is an area across the harbor with shops & restaurants which allow for some shopping, eating & walking along the water. The Queen Mary was there also, but we did not go on it. Don't know if the kids would have liked that, according to some of the things I have read on this board The Queen Mary may not be worth it.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Mandy

My sons loved the Queen Mary when I took them years ago, especially the boiler room or engine room. They loved the whole tour and lunch on the ship.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 04:21 AM
J. DeBaun

Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Anaheim Angels.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 08:25 PM
John

Check out the new Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. It is fantastic.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:36 PM
joe

Another vote for Aquarium of the Pacific, and our favorite, the Wild Animal Park. Also, your kids are the perfect age for Legoland which is about an hour away.

The Queen Mary is a neat tour, but seeing that you only have a week, I'd skip it this time. It IS a hotel though, and you might enjoy spending a night on an "oceanliner", the rooms are very small however and you'd need two rooms.