Help with L.A.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Karen

Help with L.A.

Hi, myself and a friend (both female) will be travelling to LA in February for approx one week and have 2 main questions. (1) Being British and not used to driving on such megga lane interstates on the other side of the road etc!! we are nervous of driving in LA is it possible to get by without a car and How much does it cost for a taxi from the airport to the city? and (2) Can anybody please recommend any good hotels which dont cost the earth (region $150 ? ) Any help gratefully received. Many thanks.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:57 PM
la

I think that you'll definitely want a car. LA is huge and unlike anything in the UK. It is SPRAWLING. You can drive for miles and miles and still be within LA. Unlike London, there isn't really a "city center" so depending on what part of LA you could have a drastically different route. I wouldn't worry too much about the mega highways. Yes they are big, but if you've ever been on the M1 or anything similar you'll be absolutely fine.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Patrick

I agree it's hard to enjoy LA without a car. But I think it's interesting the reverse of opinion one gets here from the Europe board. People are always telling Americans not to rent a car outside of London because it is so difficult driving on the "wrong" side, yet when the situation is reversed (and yes the traffic is horrendous in LA), la says it's no problem. On the other hand, we've never had a problem reversing sides in the UK, so if you are pretty good, why should it be any different here? Have you driven on the "continent" on the "wrong" side?
What are your interests? What do you want to do in LA? Give us some guidelines and we can help you with ideas of where to stay. LA is really like a whole lot of separate cities, so it's hard to say where you'll want to stay without knowing your interests.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Karen

Thanks for your help. I was afraid that would be the response !! I am an experienced driver and have driven in Florida on several occasions but drove last year from Phoenix over to El Paso, Tx and was traumatised by the I-10 !! Was hoping to avoid yet more of the same!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Karen

Hi Patrick, thanks for your help. Not sure which part we want to stay in yet. It depends on one or two things and I wont have that info for a few weeks. Was hoping there might be a "central" place where it would be good to base ourselves.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Susan

Karen, this is a tough one. When my cousin from Scotland came to visit us in LA he suggested renting a car and driving from the airport to our house and the thought seemed a bit scary to me. I can believe you were traumatized by driving on the I-10 in Los Angeles, I know I was when I first moved to LA and I had no "urge" to drive on the other side of the road. My cousin did manage to drive a bit while he visited us and insisted on always parking on the wrong side of the road and snickering at us that we Americans were far too orderly with wanting the cars all facing the same way on the side of the street, not to mention his complete disregard of four way stops. I'm sure you will do better.

It is difficult to base yourself somewhere in the Los Angeles area without the need of a car, but I'd suggest Santa Monica as your best bet. You could take an airport shuttle from LAX to your hotel and spend a few days poking around Santa Monica, then rent a car for a few days to get you to Hollywood and Beverly Hills, etc. You can avoid the freeways by taking surface streets if you have a really good map, like a Thomas Guide. Good luck!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Patrick

First of all, if it is the interstates that bother you, you can really avoid them all together. Most people in LA seem to drive ten miles out of their way to get to a freeway to only go 5 miles. Often surface streets are less traumatic, and sometimes even faster!
I love the area near Sunset and La Cienega, West Hollywood near Beverly Hills. It is sort of central between downtown (although you may not even ever go downtown and you won't miss a whole lot) or Hollywood and the beach at Santa Monica or Venice. Although crowded, the main streets of Santa Monica Blvd., Sunset, La Cienega, Melrose, etc. will take you nearly anywhere you want to go.
I love the Summerfield Suites, a quiet place that is a converted apartment building so you have a full living area and even a small kitchen. Private parking under the building, wonderful rooftop pool overlooking the Hollywood Hills and all the surrounding area. It may be just over you budget depending upon your stay. If you are staying for a full week, for exampble you might be able to negotiate a better price. In any case it also includes a full buffet breakfast every morning, so that's some savings. Look at www.wyndham.com.
You can walk up the hill two blocks to a bunch of fun and good restaurants and nightclubs along Sunset Blvd. or one block down the hill to lots more restaurants on Santa Monica Blvd. (although the latter is a heavily "gay" area if that bothers you).

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Karen

Hi Susan, Many thanks! I'll check out the Santa Monica options and the Thomas Guide.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Karen

Patrick, thanks again. I'll print off all the advice and study it with a map in hand!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 02:08 PM
xxx

Believe it or not, downtown Los Angeles is really a central base when visiting the area. I stayed there a few months ago on the suggestion of a fellow poster and was very pleased with the choice. Checker's Hotel is nice and it's easy to get around from there. You can always take the DART bus service (only $0.25) around downtown and you can take the metrorail to other areas like Universal Citywalk, Long Beach and Hollywood.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Karen

xxx thanks for the help.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:22 PM
joe

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Brentwood for your first few days in L.A. You can get a shuttle to the hotel, which is right off the 405 freeway. They have free shuttle service to U.C.L.A/ Westwood, where you will meet several other travelers. Bus lines to several different areas run through Westwood and it is very easy to get around on the buses, though you may need to take a taxi or two for late night outings. After a few days, you might want to rent a car and do some driving, out to the beach, Malibu, etc.

This hotel has a very friendly and helpful staff and a free shuttle to the fabulous Getty Museum. You can probably get a good rate at this hotel from hoteldiscount.com or tripreservations.com

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:48 PM
joe

Drove by the Best Western Sunset Plaza today and it looked quite nice. It's right in the middle of the "nightlife/comedy clubs/ action" near the Sunset Strip if that's where you'd like to be.

From this hotel, the 2 or 302 bus east will bring you to Highland, where you can walk up to Hollywood Blvd and catch the subway to Universal, or down into downtown L.A. or even to the Long Beach Aquarium. Hollywood and Highland is also the site of this year's Academy Awards and the famous Chinese Theatre/ celebrity footprints.

The 2 or 302 bus WEST will take you to Beverly Hills and Westwood/U.C.L.A/ Santa Monica. The bus system is quite simple as all streets in L.A. run east-west or north-south in near straight lines. During peak times (8 to 9:30am and 3:30 to 6:00pm), traveling can be quite slow by bus, but car travel can be troublesome as well. If I were you I'd try it without a car for a few days, then once you get your bearings, rent a car for a few days if you feel up to it.