Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Must sees as we drive on Route 1 with Kids in California?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, three kids (9,9,10) and I will be going to California early July for two weeks. We'd like to drive from San Diego to San Francisco using Route 1. We've heard that it's a beautiful drive. On the way, we'd like to stop and see the major sites. We've been to Disney World in Florida so not sure if Disney Land would offer us something different? What itinerary would you suggest? (beaches, parks, sites, shopping, hotels)? TIA!
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Almost too many places to pick from, but my choices would be:
Any of the Missions you have time to visit.
Santa Barbara
Cambria
San Simeon
Pt. Lobos
Phiffer Burns State Park
17 Mile Drive
Monterey
Santa Crus
Cowell Redwood State Park
Half Moon Bay
Have fun!
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Near San Simeon, the elephant seal rookery at Piedras Blancas:

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/piedras.html

The Monterey Aquarium:

http://www.mbayaq.org/
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:52 AM

Are you spending your two weeks driving from San Diego to San Francisco, stopping along the way? Or spending most of your time in one place, and just doing that drive part of the time? That would somewhat dictate where to stop and what to see. If you're doing it over a leisurely two weeks, for example, I'd offer a lot more recommendations than if you were doing the drive over a couple of days' time.

I'd suggest Hearst Castle, which would be a treat for you as well as your kids. (They have free roaming zebras on the property, and it would be fun for your kids to try to spot them as you drive, for example.)

Mike
Travel blog: www.stricklandia.com
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:57 AM

San Diego Zoo
Sea World
Legoland
Griffith Observatory Los Angeles
Page Fossil Museum L.A.
Museum of Natural History & Science Center next door
Santa Monica Pier/Playland
Stearns Wharf Santa Barbara
Pismo Beach
Pt. Lobos State Park near Monterey
Monterey Aquarium
Alcatraz Island
The Redwood Forest
Lake Tahoe
Yosemite or Sequoia National Parks

Rooms that fit 5 persons can be tough to find, especially along the beaches in summer time & especially on weekends. If possible plan L.A. on Sat & Sun as traffic is easier, also San Fran city on Sat & Sun. Beaches a bit easier on weekdays but not really in summer. Do you have a hotel budget in mind? 14 nights?
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM

At Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park near Big Sur, there is a short hike that gives you a view of a waterfall that falls onto the beach. We had never seen anything like it, and my kids thought it was neat.
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM

If you've been to Disney World you can skip Disneyland California. There won't be much there that you haven't already seen. The scenery between San Simeon and Monterey is breathtaking. It's a curvy road, though, and my kids got carsick while riding in the back seat when we drove that stretch of road.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM

We took the same trip with kids similiar ages. They also loved the unique waterfall at Julia Pheiffer Burns state park. A few miles on up, we had a great lunch in a treehouse restaurant called Nepenthe. It was terrific! In Monterey, we loved the Amphibious Tour in the wharf. Further up toward SF, we rode 2 national landmark roller coasters at the boardwalk of Santa Cruz. Alcatraz was a HIT, not scary at all. Also, took in the Muir Woods as we ventured to the Jelly Belly Factory! Great trip!
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM

That's like asking where to stop in Rhode Island. It's a huge state! Hwy 1, not Route 1 merges in and out of the coast. You might want to fine tune your trip, take a look at the map and post back.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Agree with TTess. It's a big state and we could give you better suggestions if we had a little more info. What are your (and your kids) interests? Beach activities? Fishing? Historical places? Are you driving to a new spot each day or spending most of your time in SD or SF? Let us know and you'll get great ideas!
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
dmlove

I think the Santa Cruz boardwalk has a National Historic Register roller coaster and carousel, rather than two roller coasters. They are classics! The Giant Dipper was my son's very first full-size roller coaster ride, and he's a fanatic!

Old May 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
heyjohn07

On Route 1, right? Ok, here are my suggestions (some of the others have menyioned places such as Lake Tahoe, Yosemite..., which are really a long, long way from Route 1, several hours drive inland; while Route 1 faithfully - well, almost - follows the California coast):

1. La Jolla, which is just to the north of San Diego, and where you can just traipse through the delightful (though expensive) little town and even take in the ocean and san at the La Jolla Cove.

2. In LA, Venice Beach and Kott's Berry Farm, and possibly Magic Mountain, although that;s not exactly on Route 1.

3. Santa Barbara: an absolute must. An all-Spanish town with all the California coast trappings. There are plazas, sidewalk cafes throughout, museums and parks galore, beaches of course (although the best beach here is probably Carpinteria, just out from Santa Barbara), colorful Stearns Wharf, a zoo, a Franciscan mission, galleries by the score...

4. San Simeon: this is where newspaper William Randolph's Hearst Castle is, and a tour of it must definitely be included in your itinerary.

5. Big Sur Coast. This is perhaps the most scenic drive along the California Coast, frequently compared with Italy's Amalfi Coast. Stop of for lunch at Nepenthe's, which has sweeping views of the ocean.

6. Carmel. Home of Clint Eastwood, but mostly just the prettiest little town you'll come across. The only thing is that it is montrously popular where people go from all over just to shop. The town itself is a treat, and also the Carmel Beach and nearby Point Lobos.

7. Pebble Beach. The best part of this, especially if you're traveling with kids, is the 17-Mile Drive; there's a fee per vehicle and they'll give you a map of all the points of interest along the way.

8. Pacifc Grove. Another quaint, heart-warming California coast town; just walk around and soak it up. There are a couple of museums and parks here as well.

9. Monterey. Now, here's an historic place with a lot to offer: a well-preserved historic center with a wealth of 1800s adobes; great restaurants and cafes, a colorful fisherman's wharf (great for kids). Cannery Row and the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium... (you'll find more good information on Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and Pacific Grove at http://indianchiefguides.com/en/unit...ornia/monterey)

10. Santa Cruz: this another must-see and must-stop-at, if only for its Boardwalk amusement park (great for kids, with all the rides they ever dreamt of!), which has the added bonus of fronting on a superb beach. Downtown is great too, particularly Pacific Avenue, a pedestrian's delight.

11. Half-Moon Bay. Although the best time to visit here is Halloween.

And then you're in SF. Enjoy!

Old May 21st, 2008, 04:32 AM

At Point Lobos, you can look down into the ocean and see adorable sea otters swimming on their backs eating abalone, which fascinated my kids. Just be sure to get there early as there is limited parking and it is popular.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM

I'm partial to Santa Cruz~my kids loved the Boardwalk when we lived there. There are rides, games, and often free concerts during the summer, and it's situated right on the beach. There are also wonderful tidepools at Natural Bridges State Park; check the local paper for low tide times and plan a visit for about an hour before low tide. Your kids will see abundant starfish, anenomes, and small hermit crabs. My daughter and I never tire of the tide pools!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM

My top picks along that route, Highway 1, between San Diego and San Francisco:

Santa Barbara
Carmel/Monterey (Monterey Bay Aquarium)
Santa Cruz (the Boardwalk! Take your kids to the Boardwalk!)

Plan on spending a day or two in each to enjoy those towns.

Oh, and there's the Big Sur Coast, which is mainly between San Simeon (the locale of Hearst Castle) and and Carmel. If you and your family are ones for dramatic coastal drives, you'll just love it. It is probably THE most amazing coastal drive in the U.S. Stop by at the Coast Gallery (housed in a redwood tank) where they have Henry Miller's art (yes, he was an artist in addition to being an author, and he lived here), and eat at the Nepenthe, where Orson Welles serenaded Rita Hayworth. There are funky places to stay along the Big Sur Coast, and then there's the lofty Ventana Inn. Also plenty of camping facilities along the coast here, and state parks.