Search

Must Sees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM
gapper

Must Sees

What are the must sees in Washington DC, monuments, museums, etc.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My top votes: Lincoln Memorial and Smithsonian. I could spend weeks in DC. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM

This thread on the exact same topic from last week should help

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM

gapper, seems a lot of the links aren't working today. Maybe try clicking on your name to find your past threads on DC.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:32 AM

The link works fine, but Mike's is a common mistake.

When you're looking at a thread that you want to link to, don't copy the address from web browser's address bar (that's what MikeT's address is, and it's just to the fodor's US forum page). Instead, right-click on the thread's title in the main area of the window and copy the link or URL from there (or click properties, and copy from that box) then paste that link.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Washington National Cathedral is in the Upper Northwest.
Lafayette Square has several museums and institutions.
Dupont Circle's mansions have been restored to house embassies, museums and art galleries.
The “Friendship Arch’, a joint effort between Beijing and Washington, D.C. is the largest single-span Chinese arch in the world.
The waterfront area features, sailboats, yachts, piers, fishing boats, seafood markets, and restaurants.
Hope this is helpful.
Wendy Piquette
C-USA Travel Guide
http://www.c-usa.info
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Thanks jlm
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM

The FDR memorial along the walkway around the tidal basin is magnificent. And right close by is the Jefferson Memorial with the giant statue of Tom looking directly across to the White House, watching out for us.
Air and Space is always a treat. Nearby, the sculpture garden/fountain has a cafe right there.
The Botanic Garden is a glass building with lots of flowers, with an adjunct park across the street. The National Arboretum also contains a magnificent and very large display of bonsai.
The spy museum is fun. The Metro is easy and clean. The downtown Circulator bus will take you all around town. Great place, my home city, the People's City and capital of the world!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:26 PM

We loved visiting the Washington National Cathedral. Beautiful!
One of my favorite sites was the Korean War Veterans Memorial.

Tracy
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM

The FDR memorial is very nice
I have heard that the WWII memorial is very nice also
The Vietnam Wall is quite moving

The Museum of American History is my favorite; my husband loves the Air and Space Museum
The Holocaust Museum is extremely moving; everybody should see it

If you have the time, a trip to the National Zoo would definitley be worth it. If I remember correctly, the subway will get you there
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:42 AM

You might want to consider the "Twilight Tour" on the Tourmobile. Its a great way to get an overview of the area and is very moving seeing the lighted monuments in the dusk/ dark. Its also one of the best ways to get close(r) to the monuments. We were traveling with my father in law who otherwise might not have been able to see all the monuments. We recently took this tour, then returned the next morning to places we wanted see a bit more closely.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Unfortunately, the history museum closes Labor Day for what they call two years of renovations. They had said that the National Portrait Gallery would take three years for its renovations, but it took six! But the portrait gallery and its neighboring art museum are gorgeous now.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Arlington Cemetery, The Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, Natural History, Air & Space and The National Gallery of Art [American History is closed for renovation].

I live here and those are at the top of my list.

The prize for the most boring tour in DC goes to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. I give that one 10 yawns.

The Holocaust Museum, Jefferson, up in the Washington Monument, and the other memorials are next.

Please note that it may be advantageous to book both the Holocaust Museum and the Washington Monument ahead of time.

You can book the Bureau of Engraving through your Congressman, but I just told you [remember: 10 yawns].

There are a lot of things to see in DC. Bring good comfortable walking shoes because you will do a lot of walking.

I live here and I am never done with DC.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Just my opionion, a schooner of beer and bar food at the fish market in old town alexandria, a stroll through g-town, and lunch in union station top level.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:22 AM

So, gapper, did you go to D.C.? What did you like?
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:03 AM

You can take a look at the "exorcist stairs" from the famous horror movie. To get there, either park on Prospect Street at 36th, or walk all the way out M Street from Georgetown - the stairs are at the very West end of Georgetown, where the Whitehurst Freeway intersects M Street, just past the Key Bridge, nestled between the old Car Barn and the Exxon Station. Godspeed.