Search

Museums in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Museums in Chicago

We're headed to Chicago to visit family this weekend and have Thurs and Sun available to go downtown. We definitely want to go to the Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry and maybe the architectural river cruise if we can squeeze it in. Does it make any difference which day we go to either of these places?

Also, is it worth a trip to see the evening light show at Buckingham Fountain? I remember thinking it was really cool when I was a kid but it may seem pretty lame in today's times.

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM

You certainly can't go museum hopping in Chicago without including the Art Institute, one of the best museums in the US.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:14 PM

During the summer, I suggest you visit the Aquarium and Museum of Science and Industry early in the day. There are many exhibits at the Museum of Science and Ind., such as the Coal Mine exhibit, where the lines become quite lengthy.

Also, the Art Institute is fabulous! Tuesday is their "free" day - very crowded.

I highly suggest the CAF river cruise -- you can buy tickets online (these tours sell out quickly).

As for Buckingham Fountain -- Go! As adults, we all thought it was pretty impressive. If you're lucky, maybe there will be a concert in the park -- pack a picnic supper (with wine, of course) and then head to the foundation afterwards.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

We have been to the Art Institute a couple of times and that was plenty for us. Art museums just don't seem to be our thing.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:24 PM

BTW, the aquarium is one of the best ones we've ever been to.

The Adler Planetarium is pretty cool --but then again, I'm a science geek and I try and drag my family to every planetarium possible.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

We're from Chicago but we moved away when we got married 25 years ago.

Thanks for the CAF tip. I didn't see them on a cruise comparison site that was listed in another post. I remember going on a lake tour as a kid but never did the river tour. The consensus here seems to be the river tour is the way to go so we'll have to try and check it out.

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM

Have you been to Chicago since you left 25 years ago? You are in for a real treat, if you haven't. You will be surprised by the changes. The city has become totally world class.

The Field Museum and Adler Planetarium are definitely worth visiting when you go to the aquarium. The Field Museum has gotten way cool in the last many years. It has a lot of interactive exhibits. The Sue dinosaur exhibit is wonderful, with a great trip through time, from the beginning of the universe and of life, to the fossil beds in Illinois. Also, the Egypt exhibit is great, where you start out in a pyramid and go through a village experiencing different aspects of life in ancient Egypt. Here's the website: http://www.fieldmuseum.org/

The planetarium has some interactive digital movies that are amazing. You could easily spend a day in that complex alone, visiting those three museums.

You will also want to go to Millenium Park, which is just north of the Art Institute. There are a couple of sound stage areas where you will find entertainment. Plus there is an amazing fountain with faces on it (you have to see it) and other features that are totally fun. Here is their website:
http://www.millenniumpark.org/

Also, if you haven't been to Navy Pier, check it out. You can ride the ferris wheel and also take a boat out on the water and get splashed.

Let us know your impression of the changes when you get back.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:02 AM

If you want to go on the CAF river tour, get your tickets ahead of time. I tried to do this on a weekday morning a few weeks ago, and it was sold out for the entire day.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. We've been back for not for about 7 years.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:12 AM

Mdod, here are the items which I would highly recommend:

1. The Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise - do the first one in the morning, if you can. Not only will it be cooler, but you have the rest of the day for other fun stuff!

2. The Body Worlds exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry - there are extended hours for this. Get the audio tour. Also, the U505 exhibit is now again open - IMHO, the sub is SO much more impressive when you walk around it than it used to be just seeing it out the window. If you want to go into the sub, it's $5 extra - limited availability, they sell out fast.

3. The Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit at the Art Institute - you'll need to get tickets in advance for this one AND get the audio tour! - HIGHLY recommend that you pick them up at the Will Call window.

4. Wild Reef and Oceanarium at the Shedd. NOTE: a lot of people feel the $23/pp price tag is getting a little steep for the admission. If you are doing a couple of museums - look into the City Pass or Go Chicago card. ANOTHER NOTE: not all the special exhibits are included on those cards, so check carefully to determine what's the best deal.

4. Do Millennium Park later on Sunday. They also have a walking audio tour of the park available if you care to indulge.

In fact, I'd recommend this on Saturday: (am) CAF River Cruise; then Art Institute; then Millennium Park (right to the north of the Art Institute); finally, Buckingham Fountain (light show is on the hour--last one is 11pm).

Have fun!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:20 AM
JJ5

You'll love the changes, it's improved.

There is a restaurant called Soundings in the Aquarium that is quite nice for lunch. The Aquarium takes at minimum about 3 hours and does have showtimes if you are interested. We have been to about 12 aquariums including Milan IT and several in California. It's much more like Sea World than like an inland Aquarium.

If you are going to Field and to S & I as well you might want to get the combo package tickets. All have free days but you would not hit them on a weekend.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:43 AM

another vote for the architectural river cruise.
you can get coupons for many of these things at the visitor center at water tower, or the cultural center on michigan avenue, where sometimes they have free music during lunchtime.

i think marshall field's booklet also has disounts on chicago sights.

remember there is a free trolley downtown. it is not super frequent. but .. if you see it coming.. hop on!

i would also stop upstairs at visitors desk at marshall fields ( the origianl store is so beautiful) to get your special pack of goodies and discounts, by showing an out-of-state drivers license or passport.

free cheesecake and coffee, disounts all day long shopping and usually a make over or something at calvin klein or some other beauty counter.

i would not miss going up for drink to john hancock building.. day or night.
free entrance if you go to lounge/restuarant .
don't forget to check out the bathroom. the outdoor wall is glass. so at floor 95 ,that is a bit impressive.

the dining room at art institue is very tasteful and the food we had was very good. (not the cafeteria downstairs.. the restaurant).

remember "house of blues" gospel brunch on sundays if you like that sort of thing.

Have Fun!!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM

Whatever day you choose, get to the museums early! In the summer, entry lines can get very long and hot by mid-morning. Get the CAF tickets in advance, and go in the afternoon; you can do the aquarium in the morning and eat lunch along the river, then the tour and finally, end up in Millennium Park and walk down to Buckingham fountain for the last gasp.

The Museum of Science and Industry should be planned as an all-day, full scale assault! Check out their website and plan your visit so you don't do a lot of doubling back. If you need a break, there is a good Italian place across the street that is very family friendly.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM

The Italian place is called Picollo Mondo and is in the Windermere building, which is the light brown building to the left of the tall white building across Jackson Pk from the MSI. Also, there is a new underpass from the museum to the Lake, which you will notice from the front outside. The 57th St beach is being redone, just to the south of the underpass. If you walk north, you can take a short walk around the park called the Point, and get great views of the skyline, plus it's fun to walk around on the rocks below or the path above.