Murray Hill for breakfast & drinks later...suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be staying at the 70 Park Avenue Hotel at the beginning of June. Can anyone recommend some good breakfast spots around the area for us to start our day at, and then also hip places to have a drink in the evening?
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM

For a cool spot for a drink and good food, check out PS 450, only 6-7 blocks south of your hotel. Be sure to try one of Dominic's amazing burgers (he used to be chef at Mojo and, before that, Punch & Judy).

Barca 18 is a great BR Guest Restaurant one mile south of your hotel.

Also, for amazing barbeque and a good bar scene, don't miss Blue Smoke, a Danny Meyer creation. The mac 'n' cheese is unbelievable, and there's great jazz downstairs.

www.ps450.com
www.brguestrestaurants.com
www.bluesmoke.com

Enjoy NYC!
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM
JES

This is my recent old neighborhood.
Go to Pehelope's for breakfast if you want to stay in the neighborhood--there is a line on weekends. Known for French Toast.

PS450 has some good muddled drinks, but it's not a favorite of mine.
For a hip place, I would walk South on Park and go to Sugarcane on Park & 19th (part of Sushi Samba--great drinks), or further still to Olive's at Union Square.
In June, Rare View (Lex & 37th) is on top of a hotel,outdoors. Popular, has a view although it can be a bit of a meet market and not great drinks.

Asia De Cuba is very hip in the area--Madison & 38th though the food and atmosphere is the draw here more than the bar area.

If you want hip, get out of Murray Hill and try Son Cubano in the Meatpacking District (9th Ave, 14th St.) or the top of the Ganzevoort Hotel across the street with a great view, or Pastis, or Spice Market--all in the same area. Much more hip!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM

The restaurant in your hotel, Silverleaf Tavern, is supposed to be good and open for breakfast. Pershing Square across from Grand Central on 42 st serves a decent breakfast. You also have Sarge's deli on 3rd & 37 st. The Barking Dog on 34 st in the
Affinia Dumont hotel is also good for breakfast.

For a drink, the Campbell Apartments inside Grand Central Station and Rare View Bar at the top of the Shelburne Murray Hill hotel ( 37th & Lexington) for views.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Penelope is probably the best in the area, it's good but really nothing spectacular and nothing to write home about. I was there a couple of weeks ago and the looooong wait didn't enthuse me to hurry back.

Sarge Deli, 3rd and 37th, has some good deli-style sandwiches. It may be quite a distance ofr some, but I'd walk to Juniors in Grand Central Station if I'm looking for pastrami and need to stay in the area.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Another vote for Sarge's deli - esp. for breakfast, but open 24h.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:38 AM
JES

Good call with Campbell Apartment--I forgot about that one.
Though it's dark in there--maybe better for a not so nice night when you won't care about being indoors.