COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

murder mystery weekend at a B&B

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:56 AM
beth

murder mystery weekend at a B&B

We are planning a getaway with my husbands immediate family. There will most likely be 5-7 couples and we were thinking of all staying together at a B&B. a good idea was one that had theme weekends and especially murder mystery weekend. One where you have costumes and the murder mystery at least a full day and night. does anyone have any suggestions for placs? Just to let you know about half of us live in the Chicago area and the other half in Indianapolis area. We would be willing to drive about 7 hours so we are looking for something in the midwest.

Has anyone done this before, was it fun? I did a search on the board and came up with nothing

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 11:11 AM
mary

That sounds like fun! If you know of a local hotel that has had a mystery night, call them up to see if it was put on by the staff or a production group. Maybe you could arrange for a professional group to do it for you. Contact Chicago actors/writers/director/etc. union about such a service.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 11:44 AM
beth

We were actually looking for something more authentic. I have heard of a couple in North carolina and one in particular in Pennsylvania, Jim thorpe Mansion I think. These are actually very old historic/ victorian mansions which have been converted to B&Bs. There is no production company putting on the show. (We have been to one of these in chicago as a charity benefit) This is something the B&B does on a regular basis. The one in Pa. actually goes as far as to get information from the participants several weeks before they arrive and develop the characters based on this. it sounds truly interesting, we just wish we could find one much closer. Ideas are definitely welcome as I'm sure there is something out there!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 01:28 PM
ncgrrl

The Sienna Hotel in Chapel Hill has put on a mystery dinner on occassion. (919) 929-4000. You might want to check the visit nc website (either visitnc.com or visit-nc.com or something close to it) or just call (800) visitnc.

My guess the Grove Park Inn in Asheville has done something like it too. Grove Park Inn has a web site too. Or try ashevillechamber.org.

Neither are B&B's (AAA 4 diamond hotels) and neither are within a 7 hour drive of Chicago or Indiana.

Is there some type of association for B&B owners? They might know of the perfect place for you.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Ruth

The Mont Rest in Bellevue, Iowa. Right on the Mississippi River. The house has been restored and each bedroom has a private bath, some with showers and tubs for two. The murder mysteries are great fun with Chris the owner taking part. You get a costume and a script.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:37 AM
beth

I checked out the Mont Rest website and it looks wonderful! tahnk you for the info. Only problem is looks like they offer these in spring and fall only and they seem to be booked already for all spring dates (only do it March, April, October, adn November) anyone else have any ideas?

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 05:32 PM
Cheryl

This may be a bit too far for you but we went to a great Murder Mystery weekend at a Bed and Breakfast called the Mansion in Duluth MN. It is right on Lake Superior and it was a great weekend plus a terrific place. I don't have the number any more but you could look it up.