Train from New York - WashingtonDC

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 01:51 AM
Jan

Train from New York - WashingtonDC

Visiting New York in April and thinking about travelling to WashingtonDC by Amtrak instead of flying. Amtrak tickets seem expensive. Is it worth the cost.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Owen O'Neill

When you add in the time, cost and incovenience of taking a shuttle or cab from the airport to the city center and back, the price of rail travel become more attractive and the time required is comparable (or close to it). If $$ is the issue you can take regular Amtrak rather than the Metroliner or the Accela - the regular Amtrak makes more stops and takes longer but it's cheaper.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Pris

This question is frequently asked here and if you search on Amtrak, you'll find that most people answer a resounding "yes." While time in the air is much shorter than time on the rails, if you calculate door-to-door (downtown to downtown), it comes out even. And that's if the flights are on time, which they never are -- LaGuardia in particular is a disaster on this point. And if there's any crummy weather at all, the train will win hands down every time.

Add to that the facts that the seats are more comfortable with much more legroom, that you can get up and walk around, go to the club car, and on many watch a movie -- why would anyone EVER fly between DC and NYC?

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Tony

I have taken the train and flown between DC and NY a lot over the past 8 years.

If the price is close to equal...I usually fly.

I avoid the peak periods at LaGuardia (I usually fly back to DC on the 8 PM shuttle), and have NEVER had a problem there.

I simply do not like sitting in a train for a few hours, when I could be up and down in a plane in 30-50 minutes of flight time....although I understand the opposing point of view.

When the construction at Newark is complete, I will not even consider Amtrak, US Airways (UAL, AMR), or Delta.

Ill take Continental to Newark and hop on the 10 minute rail trip under the Hudson.

-Tony

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Diane

Amtrak has stepped up to the plate - you can now get "miles" to save toward future trips, and there are some much nicer trains than in previous years. The price varies - depending on whether you take Metroliner or the regular regional trains or the Acela. The train advantage for me is being downtown already when you're there. Seems like many evening Laguardia flights are often delayed, so my train that left earlier in the evening gets me home before co-workers who have flown (and who also had to cab-it out to the airport during rush hour -- always a thrill) It is much easier to work on the train than on the plane, or if it's not a business thing, you will find yourself with much more comfortable seating for a snooze or a chance to catch up on your reading. It sort of comes down to how you want to spend your time -- waiting in the airports, sitting in a cab in rush hour NYC traffic, or a downtown to downtown train ride in pretty comfortable seating. Certainly twice as much room as coach, and frankly, a first-class upgrade is almost wasted on a short flight like this one.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Owen O'Neill

If Tony is reading this thread please advise - what's the deal with construction at newark and a 10 minute ride to Manhattan? I've seen the new parking garage being built and the reconstruction of the parking lot monorail is well underway but is there some other enhancement planned for the rail system that I'm unaware of? It would seem that even a direct rail connection to the Newark airport would take 20-25 minutes if it did exist but I'd certainly like that option if it becomes available.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:28 AM
jim

Take the train. As one poster mentioned, by the time you get finished with all the aiport nonsense, you really don't save much time. And, yes, it is cheaper if you don't take the Metroliner. Plus, it drops you at the rail station, and from there it's just a short subway ride to almost any point of interest in DC.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:53 PM
kk

Tony, I too would like to know what you are talking about when you mention a 10 minute trip from Newark to Manhattan. I don't know anything about traveling from Newark to Manhattan, which is where I need to go. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from the airport to downtown. Thanks

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Tony

As part of the Global Gateway project at Newark, the Port Authority is extending the monorail that currently connects travelers among the terminals, parking garages, and car rentals to a new NJ Transit/Amtrak station.

Supposedly, this new terminal will be designed for air travelers, thus making for a very quick connection to a NJ Transit or Amtrak train to Penn Station (PATH trains may also be available to the World Trade Center...Im not sure).

Since NJ Transit runs every 20 minutes to NY plus the Amtrak trains, this will be a relatively seamless trip.

Get off the plane at EWR...to the monorail pickup(which is at the terminal)...to the new NJT/AM station...to NY. Easy enough.

Im really looking forward to these improvements.

-Tony

Sites to visit regarding EWR construction:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrco...noverframe.htm

http://www.continental.com/tis/

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Owen O'Neill

Tony - thanks for the update. Although it will unquestionably be much more than a ten minute trip, it's very encouraging to hear that such a system is being put in place. As for reaching WTC, the PATH will get you there from Newark's Penn Station but if the new train connection is going into NYC's Penn Station, the PATH is one block away from the Amtrak/NJ transit concourse.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 05:55 PM
Jan

Thanks everyone for your trouble in posting answers to my question. From your information we have decided to travel by train - after more looking we found a fare on the net for $68 per person - children half price. That is more reasonable than the first fare of $122. Will book when we reach New York - we are coming from Australia (hope the $ improves a lot by then!!)