Multnomah Falls & Columbia Gorge Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Portland this August.

Have you ever taken a tour of "My Chauffeur Transportation Co."? We have been around the Gorge a few years ago on the Grayline Tour. But this time, we'd like to take more time at several waterfalls. "My Chauffeur" 's tour is private. And the total cost for our family(2 adults and 2 children) is $231, including gratuity and gas charge. Does anyone have better recommendation? And, do you think what waterfall trail is the best for family? Any suggestion will be appreciated!
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 10:30 AM

I haven't heard of this company, and noticed it wasn't listed by the Hood River Chamber. If you have a car, you can easily get to the falls on your own.

I use this website all the time, it gives the hike lengths, distance and directions

http://www.gorgeexplorer.com/hiking_waterfalls.htm
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 02:00 PM

The waterfalls are so easily explored on your own and information about the falls is easily obtained...$231 seems like a LOT of money. You can rent a Ford Taurus for 1/5th of the cost, see the falls at YOUR pace, and still have plenty of money left over to enjoy a gourmet dinner and some souvenir shopping. FYI, a couple of years ago we took a bi-plane ride over the Gorge, flying at the minimum legal altitude. The view was amazing, the tour lasted about half an hour (departing from a private airfield in Vancouver, WA) and cost only $50 for two people (the max the plane can carry at a time); the pilots for the rides were all certified flight instructors. If you're interested, I'll ask my Vancouver friends to find out if the rides are still available.
If you do rent a car, be sure not to leave any valuables in the passenger compartment or the trunk. There has been a problem with car break-ins in the parking lots of some of the falls (Multnomah's lot is the most common target, I think).
Another option, FYI, is Silver Falls State Park.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM

I didn't know there were tours of the falls specifically. I can't imagine spending that much to see them though. Car rental isn't that expensive and the falls are clearly marked.

What ages are your children? Some hikes are easier than others. Do you want to go on one long hike or see several shorter hikes to falls?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Let me add another voice saying $231 seems really expensive for a Gorge tour. It's very, very easy to rent a car and drive to all the falls.

Andrew
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Hi Blue Jay! Do you have lodging picked out yet for your trip? We like the Columbia Gorge Hotel. www.columbiagorgehotel.com The property is just beautiful and the Country Farm breakfast is one of the best I've ever had.

Have a great trip, this a truly beautiful area. ***kim***