Multi trip report from Woods Hole, MA

Old Jun 20th, 2024, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi trip report from Woods Hole, MA

Let's start.
I was fortunate to be offered housing in Falmouth to work 2 summers as a waitress at The Landfall, and the Fishmonger. A penniless college student who recently lost her father. One of life's blessings.
It took me years to return, but once we did, we haven't stopped, and visit at least twice a year, as the commute isn't bad and theres too much to love.
The SCENT: The thing about New England is no two places smell the same. It's what makes oysters differ from one farm to the other 20 miles away. When I first returned for a sleep I was intoxicated by the night air as a ferry came to port. Nothing is sweater then the scent and the sound of nautical rigging in the moonlight.
The HOUSING: We started with the roots of my 2 summer commute -

Sands of Time, a family grown hotel/motel as you enter Woods Hole proper from the 60's with old bones, but the best upkeep and a great innkeeper, landscaping and a noisy view of ferries coming and going and all the traffic with it that tells you the Vineyard story. I am mesmerized on my balcony all day long, and the village is equally mesmerizing by the local population of well locals, scientist, students, summertime imports, and daytrippers as the world passes in front of your eyes. And it's all right down the hill, including small museums, an aquarium and the properties of the Oceanagraphic Institute and 2 great bakeries! It is always our first choice for last minute lodging off season when available.

Tides Inn in the Heights of Falmouth on the harbor and ocean is our second choice.. From the 2nd floor it feels like your on a beached cruise ship as the water is right there. And we've been fortunate to stay there during big weather, and I swear I got seasick! It is our second favorite view location

Last edited by Inakauaidavidababy; Jun 20th, 2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

HOUSING.
Our third choice is Inn on the Square right in the heart of Falmouth Main Street, one of few great Main Streets around! This has been wonderful to explore the seasons and holidays as the town puts on a show. Halloween is especially fun as each merchants tries to beat another. Fun.
We've managed to visit all three places multiple times. Each one has its charm and serves the moments purpose.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

how is it that 150 people looked at this beginning and have nothing to say. Id guess half mistakenly clicked on and weren't interested. I have more to say, or not.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 11:03 AM
Forum Moderator

Added Trip Report flag
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 01:19 PM

Please write more! The foundation you laid is important in seeking a place to stay. Continue!!
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Auntgrapes, I needed inspiration to continue.

We have become toast people lately finally buying a proper toaster after over 30 years of marraige. Toasting cranberry as I type which we bought a couple of days ago at Maison Villatte
LIBATION AND SUSTINATION:
Bakeries
Maison Villatte. with 2 locations, Falmouth, the mother ship with bakers in toques out back, these are proper trained bakers with a new satellite location across from the ferry in Woods Hole. This alone is worthy of a journey. If you go be patient in the line and prepare whatever choices you can see in the displays and just imagine what the devotees and curious had to endure to line up during covid with the 6ft rule. We never leave without over ordering! both sweet and savory. This is a very decadent and rarely found establishment of excellence.
Pie in the Sky: When staying at Sands of Time this is a morning daily trek down the hill. I was worried that the aforementioned bakery would hurt business as they are back to back. They offer a good variety of croissants and pastries, make wonderful tomato soup and a variety of sandwiches. It too has endured thru darker days.

Last edited by Inakauaidavidababy; Jun 23rd, 2024 at 02:01 AM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

MORE FOOD STUFF:
Quarterdeck, Falmouth.
This place is stuck in the past with continental cuisine. It took a long time to revisit this place and we're sure glad we did. What we love? The bar scene during the day! It makes you want to retire in Falmouth and be one of the bar rats. They all know each other, and the ladies who lunch being seated. Its fun to witness. #1 reason we go - the welfleet oysters, properly iced, properly shucked, with no liquor lost. The standard of how oysters should be. They do the basics well. Whole belly clams perfectly fried. And the kitchen also stretches its culinary muscles on daily specials that can be unexpectedly inventive. It is a great year round old school joint!
Water Street Kitchen, Woods Hole.
My old real estate on the bridge. It took me time to warm to this place, although the food was always good. Over time I let my guard down and have had a few enjoyable meals. We tend to negotiate 3 starters and call it a night. The food is always special. The chef clearly has a gifted palette, and runs a gifted kitchen. Of all the delightful dishes we have tried there is one clear winner...........the mint chocolate chip ice cream. No I'm serious. The use of freshly picked mint is intoxicating and mind altering. How at our age had we never experienced this delight?
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

PASSING TIME:
The aquarium
Since the start I visited the seals seeking sanction at the aquarium. I was known to visit a few times a week after my shift. I don't think the renovated showing area pool is as viewable but last I looked they had an occupant. Saying hi to a harbor seal is always worthwhile. It is a short stroll thru the village with many important little things to offer.
The flock of birds:
searching out an osprey nest, swan lakes and sea birds.....

Last edited by Inakauaidavidababy; Jun 26th, 2024 at 07:24 PM.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 12:29 AM

Hoping you found the osprey nest. I live in New England but don't think I have ever visited Woods Hole although I have been to the Cape area a few times.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 02:11 AM

Save some of the mint chocolate chip Icecream for me. Thanks for the report.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

dfrostnh,

Osprey are treated right in Falmouth and Mashpee which also has great trails and a significant Wampanoag Indian protected areas. Building platforms to get them off of electric poles has been a community priority.
https://falmouthlivingmag.com/rallyi...-a-sea-raptor/
We always visit the nest on Shore Drive to see if any are in residence.

oldemalloy,
If you have an ice cream machine try making your own. This recipe sounds close with the steeping of fresh picked mint in cream for hours.
https://www.seriouseats.com/best-min...e-cream-recipe
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Passing Time continued

WHOI visit any buildings and exhibits open to the public. They do walking tours and have an impressive amount of real estate.
https://www.whoi.edu/who-we-are/

Bike
Shining Sea Bikeway
https://www.falmouthma.gov/1362/The-Shining-Sea-Bikeway

Quissett Harbor includes a wonderful walking path which name I won't share.
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

There is also a great garden pond stroll at the end of Oyster Pond Rd.
And on a lazy day we really like Bleu in Mashpee for a lunch onion soup or a pleasing brunch on a Sunday.
Although I must admit thinking if ever a place to try escargot since I like most shellfish, garlic and olive oil. It just didn't do it for me but maybe it will for you.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bleu-mashpee-4
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 05:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I enjoyed reading about your trip to Woods Hole which we also have enjoyed. Thanks!