Mt. Ranier to Port Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is spending a few days next week @ Mt Ranier, and then traveling up to Port Angeles to see (if only for a very short time) a small portion of Olympic NP and to catch the ferry to Victoria. Any suggestions on best route to take or any good stops along the way to break up the trip?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I'd make your way out to I-5 from Mt Rainier and take it south to Olympia, then take Rt. 101 west and north from there (up the western shore of Hood Canal). Potlatch State Park is a good place to stop and stretch your legs. I'm not sure if Staircase is open yet (they had lots of winter storm damage) but if it is, that's a great trail along a river.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:39 AM

I do like the drive on 101 along Hood Canal; however it is faster to drive via Tacoma, the Narrows Bridge, and WA-3.

To make the best use of your time in ONP, go to Hurricane Ridge then to Crescent Lake Lodge. From the lodge take the easy hike to Marymere Falls and you will pass through a forest that looks much like the Hoh Rain Forest.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Do you know how much longer it is on 101 rather than going through Tacoma and WA-3?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:34 AM

Is the purpose of your trip to get places fast or to see lots of scenery? I took a longer route that led me from Mt Ranier out to Hoquiam on Gray's Harbor, then up the coast on Hwy 101 to the Hoh rainforest on my way to Port Angeles. It's a much slower route but you see things many tourists miss.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

we aren't in a huge hurry, but can't take all day either as we are planning on doing a whitewater raft late in the afternoon near Port Angeles. Would like to have some scenery on the drive or be able to get out of the car and enjoy what we can.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I do like the drive on 101 along Hood Canal; however it is faster to drive via Tacoma, the Narrows Bridge, and WA-3.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM

In that case take rt 101 up Hood Canal. I don't know the exact difference in time but I'd say it's less than an hour and it's quite a bit more scenic. Of course you'll want to stop along the way and that will add to the time.