low carb eating

Jul 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

low carb eating

my wife and i are doing low carb eating (diabetes). we just got back from maine and reflect that there were very few choices for low carbers - much emphasis on "starches" (except for the lobster). we had thought about going to england but fear the same issue: lots of potatoes, few vegetables). now we have begun wondering: if we based a vacation only on low carb eating (meat, salads, vegetables), where would be the best places to go? northern california comes to mind but are there other places anyone would recommend? we know we could manage anywhere, but where would be the easiest places to visit food-wise, with lots of good low carb eating?
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:59 AM

I'm really not sure what you're asking. If you only found starches in Maine, you just weren't looking in the right places. Are you suggesting there aren't lots of restaurants there where you can order fish, meat or chicken, with vegetables and a salad? Sure everyone offers pasta these days -- just ignore it. And if the meal comes with a potato, ask them to leave it off. There are restaurants everywhere these days that offer low carb eating -- you simply have to look at menus first or ask for help with your order. You can low carb in New York, California, Iowa, or Alabama.

Meanwhile, as a diabetic myself, I'm a little intriqued by your post. Prior to going onto oral medications I was really low carbing (sugar busters diet in particular), but once I started my meds I found I have to have considerable starches to "make the meds work". Two days of no carbs and my sugar level goes way up.
Jul 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I would think that the types of restaurants you're eating in would have more a bearing than the actual region of the country.

Go to Wisconsin and eat lots of cheese, I guess.
Jul 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

just to clarify: maybe it was luck but it was really true that that the 5-6 restaurants we went to in Maine had no vegetables on the menu - unless you define potatoes as a vegetable. none. a dinner salad was offered but these were quite unimpressive and small. you would think that there would be more variety but we saw none - and we looked at several menus every night. we adapted and didn't eat the potatoe or rice but this got old. i was in new york city a few weeks ago and didn't have this problem. hence the post. .. i'm diabetic with a faily low dose of metformin and eating carbs/starches push me up higher than i want to go (i took a meter). not sure what meds the other poster was on but carbs don't help with my situation. .. thnaks for any thoghts on this - i know it's an odd question.
Jul 12th, 2007, 11:42 AM
GoTravel

What restaurants were you eating in where they had zero veggies on the menu?

Jul 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM

TedWJones, have you considered a cruise? If you don't find an appropriate dish on the menu(s) they will gladly adjust it to your needs.

I was on Royal Caribbean, and next to our table was a group of vegans. The cook even came out to them to confirm the dish he was cooking!
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Summer would increase availability of local veggies in northern areas. A seafood-specialty area would create lots of protein opportunities. It is the side dishes that would kill you there - unless you stuck to slaw or they offered salads.

I would avoid England/Ireland - have been to both and rarely saw a vegetable.

I would avoid much of the southeast - wonderful southern cooking loaded with fat, bready coatings and sugar.
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM

You're right, gail. Everything we eat in the good ol' South is breaded, deep-fried, and full of sugar. Nothing else to be found here.

Jeesh.
Jul 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Today's England is a vegetarian haven. Every rstrnt and pub we went to had vegetarian specials, which I realize does not necessarily mean no--low carbs. France will always have a lot of no carb foods--meats, salads and veggies.

As a New Englander who has been to Maine, I have to ask....were you going to Friendly's? I cannot picture any other venues, except for fried clam/lobster shacks w/o veggies on the menu.
Jul 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM

The west coast, including the pacific northwest would be great. Though to be honest you can low carb almost anywhere.
Jul 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM

I'm mostly a vegetarian and I find I can eat veggies and or fruit anywhere I go. It's the type of restaurant you're eating in that's the problem.

We went to a bigtime steak place the other night. Every entree was beef or seafood (love seafood, but was not in the mood). I just asked for a variety of whatever veggies they had on hand. No problems. I've done this very often.
Jul 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM

I think PNW has plenty of options, Portland, Seattle or as you mentioned down into northern California. Here in Seattle restaurants are big on using local produce, fish, etc.
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:23 PM

"I would avoid England/Ireland - have been to both and rarely saw a vegetable." Sorry, but IMHO that is one of the silliest things I've ever read on here.

There is absolutely EVERY type of cuisine in the UK and many, MANY vegetarian restaurants. Almost every pub has veg and even vegan options. Unless you went to Aberdeen Angus Steak houses (which are the worst places imaginable and the only folks seen actually eating there are visitors from North America) I can't imagine where you ate.

And even putting aside all the vegetarian, Indian, Chinese, and other ethnic places - most every restaurant will have grilled meats, fish and lots of veg . . . . .
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM

I have traveled all over while on the Atkins diet, and had no trouble finding options everywhere. I just ordered fish, poultry, or meat and asked the waiter to substitute the starch with double veggies. I have never had a problem. Of course, I have never seen a restaurant with no veggies!

Even if all there is are sandwiches, you can eat the filling and leave the bread. Fillings wrapped up in lettuce make great "sandwiches".

Seafood salads are good, too, with blue cheese dressing. And hard-cooked eggs. Just tell the waiter not to even bring the bread!
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM

I am surprised you had a problem in New England. Was it in the winter-time?

I can't think of anyplace I've ever been that I couldn't find easily meat or fish, vegetables or salads.

Another solution might be to rent condos and do your own grocery shopping.
Jul 13th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips! that helps a good deal.
Jul 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM
GerdaFaust

A number of years back, an old college friend and I stopped at a restaurant in Andover, Massachussetts, called "Kitty's." A huge place, we eagerly awaited a table in the brightly-lit and boisterous dining room. I was watching my diet at the time, and when I looked over the menu, I saw mostly meat, fish, potatoes, and rice. No salads. No vegetables.

Our waitress was one of those older, no-nonsense types, who would deck you if you gave her a hard time. Yet, she was welcoming and extremely efficient in her role.

When I asked her if there were any vegetables on the menu, she answered me, with tremendous sincerity, "Oh, no, hon... we don't have any of that. There's too much FOOD here!"