Search

Moving to the farm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to the farm

Heck, I'm trendy and didn't even know it!

Today's cover story on USAToday's Life Section.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...-farmlet_x.htm
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:26 AM

It can put a big dent in travel plans. Friends have been taking separate vacations because someone has to be home to take care of the animals. Fortunately a neighbor's daughter is almost old enough to hire as barn sitter. Our own son worked from age 13 to 18 for a couple taking care of their animals every weekend and while they traveled. However, if you have animals AND children it's possible to do a lot of traveling to fairs on the 4-H show circuit. My husband travels every year to antique tractor events including one Meeting of the Green in Molene. I dream of romantic weekends ... he will never forget the John Deere factory tours. Oh well.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

LOL!
I'm with you. Beach and mountains and the like win over John Deere tours
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:49 AM
GoTravel

We have very good friends who own an horse farm of about 15-18 horses and he is the proprieter of an Outback Steakhouse.

We are going up this spring to take care of the horse farm so they can have a vacation.

I think it is so cool that every time she gets a new horse, she adopts a neutered kitten from the humane society for the horse. The cat and the horse keep very good company for each other.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I so identify with this article!
Star - what area are you in and what kind of farm do you run?
My husband and I just bought the farm that has been in his family for 3 generations. In the 1930s-1960s his grandfather ran it as a dairy farm. Now my husband just has a few cows and makes hay, etc. It is not his full time profession, but he loves it. His relaxing time is going on to mow the fields.
I have often thought it would be wonderful if I could make a living off of the farm in some way. Right now I have over an hour commute each way to work, and the idea of staying home and making maple syrup or growing veggies, or raising goats sounds very appealing.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

I moved back to my grandmother's farm. I only own a small slice of it now - but the most of it looks the same - with the addition of a house you can't see from anywhere until you are right on it. Neighbor has big garden, bees, but is about to retire.

I haven't tilled g'ma's garden spot yet, since I TRAVEL for a living and just don't want to be tied down.

I've gone to the state's organic gardening conference (held just down the road) and two farmers offered to take me on under the state's mentor program. One does the veggies for Atlanta's fancy restaurants - one does just flowers (and does VERY well). I'm not sure what I'm going to want to do.

It's going to take some work and I'm concentrating on house renovations first. Right now, it's just dogs and horses to tend - with a great three-tiered back-up system . Actually, four tiers in that my uncle (who still owns the majority of the property) pays the handyman who has done errands on the property all of my life is available for backup.

I continually get advice from all sorts of friends/ contacts about what to try. I'm just gathering information right now - AND the energy to commit to something! But, it's a joy to wander the fields, lanes and woods of my childhood. What a treasure.

Oh, another gift? Uncle comes down twice a week to play (he lives in the city) and rides the tractor down to cut a half acre yard. At first, I wanted to protest. Now, I am thrilled not to use my lawnmower - except for trim work.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:04 AM

I know what you mean. I feel equally lucky to have such a wonderful place to live, with so much open space. And also to be in a place that is so near family and so important to my husband (sometimes I think of the farm as a person, it is treated with so much love and respect).

So are you hoping to make farming your living? Or will you still have your full-time job - TRAVELLING?
I have a pipe dream of being home and doing/making something with the farm. We live in a very afluent area, with a strong population of "weekenders". So I think there may be a market for something. But what? If you had any further resources, let me know. Right now its just a dream,....but you never know.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm lucky enough to work from home - unless I'm on the road TRAVELING to meet with a customer. So, my "commute" when I'm home is to the computer - which is usually just steps away - or closer.

It sounds like you are in a similar location. I'm leaning toward flowers right now BECAUSE I would always make a stop to the little local organic market that set up in a parking lot on Saturdays in the mountains. I (along with all the weekend folks) would stop to buy beautiful bunches of flowers - sold in cut off juice bottles with gravel for weighting. One of the workshops I attended at the organic conference was my the #1 organic flower grower in the area. We also toured her home and operation and it was amazing what she did with very basic resources. Her tiny homemade greenhouse is the source of scores of flats of seedlings - for her use and others. You would choke if you learned how much peonies bring in each year.

She called to invite me again to mentor with her - but my job schedule stepped up a notch...or seven. I will probably do it next year.

I'm just attracted to flowers and there are fewer worries about providing foodstuff to market.

Check out for any organic organizations in your area. Even if you opt NOT to grow organic, I've received a TON of information. They have been a very warm and welcoming group of people. If you have enough property, organic grass fed beef brings in MANY TIMES the revenue than "regular" beef.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

steviegene, do you live in Georgia? I get almost daily informational emails from contacts I met through www.georgiaorganics.org
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Star- thanks!
Maybe I will start being more serious about this - and look into organic organizations. The commute really is killing me- and being home seems like a more rewarding way of life.
I actually live in Northwest Connecticut.
We get a huge influx of new yorkers on the weekend - who really fuel the town's economy.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Wow! I'm exhausted just reading that article! I am imagining what it would be like to be a parent, full time professional, and small farm owner..it does sound wonderful, but where on earth do you find the energy/time? My hat is off to you.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:43 AM

I will say that having so much property is a lot to take care of...
Even without a "real" product to sell/take care of, we have a lot of maintenance. My husband spends a huge amount of time mowing, cutting fallen trees, plowing in the winter. Luckily, he likes doing it!

So far, we arent parents yet. So that gives us some free time! But right now I spend almost 3 hours a day TRAVELLING on the road to and from work. I would like to cut that down to a part time job. Then spend my time home (with future children) making some kind of living off the farm.

But it is a lot to do!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM

My wife and I left the suburbs and bought ten acres in Vermont. She wants to get goats for cheese but I'm afraid of leaving pets outside, and any animal we get would be a pet, trust me. Coyotes,cold, etc. Maybe some day we'll do some kind of farming, but for now I'm just content walking around my land and looking at the rolling hills - grateful to be away from traffic, mini-malls, congestion.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM

I salute anyone who raises both kids and animals. 4-H is a great organization and you don't have to have animals to belong. Some of the benefits include travel opportunities. I've met a lot of 4-H families with an esp close relationship between the generations. Lucky are the kids who also have grandparents living nearby. Since I wasn't raised on a farm I'm not used to some of what other people take for granted, like the grandmother who had a sheepskin blanket made for her granddaughter out of her favorite lamb. I've been very impressed by the amount of maturity and responsibility young 4-H kids take on when they raise animals. Those snow white lambs get a lot of baths during the summer to get ready for shows.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM

yo starssville, I was thinking about starting a small foie gras operation. Want to lend me a few acres? ;-)
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

celfan, a couple around her started with goats to make cheese, and ended up making soap with goats milk. They have a fairly profitable operation.

A friend (actually my realtor) started taking in goats that folks didn't have room for. When her of her grown son died expectantly, she said the goats got her through her grief. They can be so loving. But, also stinky.

LLindaC, nope. Sorry (as I am sure you are too! ) I have no interest in producing something I don't consume.

It's surprising how little land a nearby veal operation requires. But, driving past the little guys in their little pens have created a person who won't eat veal either.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:22 AM

oh no...I don't even like to think about it! I didn't own the barn, but I boarded my horse nearby growing up. Still had to do those 6 am feedings in ice cold weather, clean stalls, and all the other million details. Having horses is a major amount of work, especially show horses. But it did keep me busy and out of trouble, and I won enough money to avoid getting a job.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM

What a cool TRAVEL thread Starrsville!

My wife & I are toying the with idea of getting back to the garden as Joni Mitchell famously said. She is fascinated with raising goats to make cheese (hadn't even thought of soap) and/or establishing an animal rescue haven.

Lots of money of course in the latter possibility. ;-)
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM

If I lived near that veal operation they would be out of those cages. Shame on people who support this.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM

We moved to a small farm in central New Hampshire 25 years ago, and never regretted it. Sure it's a lot of work, but it for keeping fit it beats hanging out in a gym. We did horses, chickens and sheep, and now just have the sheep. Getting away for vacations is a little tricky - in the summer we just have a neighbor pop in every day to make sure no sheep are hung up in the fence. In the winter, it's more of a project, and we need an experienced farm girl type house sitter. Celfan, don't be afraid of getting a few goats, just make sure you have some good fencing! For the first few years, they are 'pets', but after a while they are what they are - livestock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -