Search

Moving to Tampa

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Tampa

Hi,
I currently have the oppurtunity to relocate to the Tampa region. The office will be off of I-75. I was wondering what the surrounding areas are like as I have never been to Tampa. Specifically, I am looking at housing in towns that are a short drive to the office. I'm concerned about crime, schools and the quality of living. Any information would be helpful. Thank you for your time.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:39 AM
BAK

Ifyou can find a book called Triggerfish TEist in the library, (or even a book store) written by Tim Dorsey, you'll find an account of what it is like to move to Tampa.

Let's hope your move is not like the one in the book. But it's funny.

BAK
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM

what area of I-75...that covers abig area..a name of streets or a town area it is near to..or exit off of I-75 would be needed for more info..
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I believe the office complex is on Bermuda Green Drive. I know that it is close to the intersection of I-275. Thanks for your help!
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:28 AM

There's a lot of information about Tampa in this previous post:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34497819
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:35 AM

don't want to sound like a pain ..but what is the business(name)..that area could be Brandon Area?...New Tampa?...route 4 intersection?..it would help if you could give a better address..it is 275?..did they give you any info on relocatioTBO.com has a relocation guide..
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:11 PM

The relocation guide on tampatribune.com is pretty good. (It takes you to the tbo site but I don't know the direct url for that.) You can check all sorts of crime statistics, etc. by geographic area. Also check out the Hillsborough county web site. I think they have a good GIS locator so you can look at homes, current values, etc.

We are also moving to Tampa this summer. It would help to know where you are moving from. We are moving from the DC area, where we have a terrible commute. Since we'll be working in downtown Tampa, we picked Oldsmar, a small community right on the bay about 25 minutes west of Tampa.

Your personal preferences matter more than anything. For us, we had to be near the water. I just couldn't imagine living in FL and not being near the water. It's like, you could live in a crowded traffic-filled town anywhere - if you are lucky enough to be in FL, why not be near the water? OK, I sound like a broken record here but those are our values and so we bought accordingly. Plus we hate commuting - if the commute wasn't such a big factor, we would have bought closer to the beach, but being right near Tampa Bay is great with us.

Let us know where you're from and what you're looking for, and we can help some more!