Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crime book set in Toledo? Help me remember which book.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the beginning of the book, a body was found outside the city walls and the book told the story of finding the killer. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone remember which book? I am trying to put together a short list of good reads before planned trip to Spain. Any other recommendations for Castille, Extremadura area?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Could the book be Killing the Shadows by Val McDermid?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Am not sure, but would highly suggest the two books revolving around the character Captain Alatriste by Arturo Perez-Reverte. The first is titled "Captain Alatriste" and the recently released English translation follow-up is "Purity of Blood". Both are very good (as, IMHO, are all of his novels).
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Yes, yes, of course it is Val McDermid! Wow that did not take long for you, Grimmy, to come through with the answer. And yes, Heather, I have him on my list of authors to check out. I recently read an excellent review of the new book.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Add to the list "The Shadow of the Wind," by Carols Ruiz Zafon.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM

I'm going to Spain in about two weeks, and I've just finished "Locos" by Felipe Alfau, a Spaniard who immigrated to the U.S. and wrote in English. The novel, written in the 1920s, is sort of experimental metafiction, but very readable and entertaining.

The author meets the characters at the Cafe de Los Locos in Toledo and spins stories about them or sometimes the characters (who may be self-aware about their state as fictional beings) "assert" themselves and intervene in the plot. Anyway, most of the action happens in Spain, especially Madrid. It was satisfying to read about all these real places in a fictional setting while I was planning my trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I did quite a lot of looking for this last night, and thought it might be Death of a Nationalist? If it is something else, let me know, please. Sounds right up my street.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

You know I tried Shadow of the Wind but could not get involved in the story. But another post reminded me of a must book for Spain: Iberia by James Michener. Now, what is the name of the Val McDermid book set in Toledo?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Try Communion in Seville by Arturo Peritz-Rivera. Set in today's Sevilla, you will recogize reataurants, streets, etcx.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Oh boy is my mind going! I see the name of the Val McDermid book..Grimmy posted it yesterday. I think I am getting overtired with all this obsessive planning! Sorry!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM

The Shadow of the Wind is one of my favorite books, but it is actually set in Barcelona.