Search

Moving to Santa Barbara Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Santa Barbara Questions

HI Everyone!

We just got back from California and are considering moving to Santa Barbara. I know it is expensive but I was wondering if anyone has an idea of who handles long term rentals in the area?

I would want to rent for a year or so until I make sure that we all like it there before jumping into owning.

Also, what other areas south of there would be great places to live?

We are looking for little crime, more of a trendy type of place but not one infested with "spring break" type of visitors.

I'm open to suggestions and your imput.

Jenny

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM

If you mean by "spring break types" college students, then you won't escape them in Santa Barbara, which has a university right next door. Beyond that, although Santa Barbara is truly a lovely town, it is not just expensive, it is VERY expensive, and appeals most to the very rich.
A little south is the town of Ojai, which will be far less expensive, yet is a very pleasant spot. I wouldn't describe it or Santa Barbara as trendy, but Ojai is less so. So if that's what you want, you may have to go even further south to someplace like Santa Monica, another expensive location.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Although SB has UCSB it is not a "Spring Break" destination like Cancun or Palm Springs - as the other poster says, it's *very* expensive and college kids like to have some spending money for beer. The average price for a home is about $1,000,000 now. Yes, a "normal" three bedroom tract house costs that.

Subscribe to the online edition of Newspress.com to find rentals. It's much less expensive to rent (in proportion to what mortgage payments would be for similar property) If SB is *very* expensive, then Montecito is *Very VERY* expensive. Goleta (at the north end of town) is about half as much as Montecito and perfectly presentable (but far from posh).

h0b0
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 02:21 PM

Don't know what the rents are now but you might want to check out Ventura also, the west side of 101.

Ojai is a small "artsy" town. I wouldn't consider it trendy. Very easy living there. And it is not as expensive as SB. It is about 15 miles or less east of 101 on Hwy 33.

Beautiful area, have fun checking out your options.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM

Hi there,
I went to UCSB for grad school. I must say I just love Santa Barbara. The undergrad student community, mostly the party ones, stay in Isla Vista in Goleta. So you are away from the noisey student community if you stay in Downtown. Downtown SB, unlike many downtowns in US, is very safe and beautiful.
SB independent and several real estate agents handle long-term rentals. The real estate is pretty expensive there. One of my friends bought a 3-br/2ba condo 6 months ago in Cathedral Oaks for $600 K. Also, checkout places near Solvang (40 miles north of SB). They are not very expensive and very beautiful too. Many people who work in SB commute from Ventura (40 miles down south). so its cheaper compared to SB and is definitely an option.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I've lived in Santa Barbara since 1973 and am very fortunate to own my residence and a small rental house.

Housing is by far the greatest expense here -- it is pretty obscene -- but what we are really paying for is the quality of life. Goleta is adjacent to Santa Barbara and housing is slightly less expensive there. Carpinteria is also a bit less expensive than SB and the commute is only about 15 minutes south of SB. Those would be a good alternatives worth considering.

Real estate is considerably less expensive in Lompoc or Santa Maria in North County (1 hour north of SB), in Ventura (45 minutes south during non-commute hours), and in Ojai (45 minutes east of SB), but you need to add the financial and time costs of commuting.

The Santa Barbara News-Press is probably the best source for rental information and several management companies advertise. Some of the local real estate companies would probably be willing to help you with a long-term rental situation in hopes of getting you into something permanent down the line. Try RE/MAX or Pitts & Bachman for starters.

Personally, as a landlord, I would be willing to rent to someone who was willing to sign a one-year lease. My bigger concerns would be the typical stuff: rental history, credit check, steady source of income/employment.

If you have kids, you'll probably want to give some consideration to neighborhoods/schools too.

Good luck. I think you'll love it here!