Search

Santa Barbara?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Barbara?

Hi~
I have an opportunity to take temporary (3 months) employment in Santa Barbara. I have traveled to northern CA, but no experience in the southern area. I know it is a beautiful area, but know little else about it. I am currently living in GA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated re: lifestyle, cost of living, entertainment, general flavor of the area, etc....
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Santa Barbara is very beautiful. It is also a very expensive place to live. This may not be a problem for you since perhaps your company will cover your living expenses.
If you're coming from Georgia in the summertime, you'll be delighted with the weather. I moved to the central coast from Georgia and am really enjoying not living through a hot, humid Georgia summer!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:42 PM

Santa Barbara is a sophisticated yet relaxed small city on the beach. It is one of my favorite places on earth. It has just about everything: great climate, beaches, nice hiking, nice (though small) museums, good restaurants, good shopping, beautiful architecture and scenery, cultural events, etc. You will love your three months there!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 09:45 PM

It definitely is a pricey place to live, but if you have many costs covered for you, take it!

There's an interesting mix in Santa Barbara...from the very wealthy, to college kids who attend the University there. So you can find tastes and budget for all.

When I lived there, I thought it was a very laid back town. Even though Santa Barbara isn't huge, there are many great places to dine. SB situated in some beautiful nature as well. Not only do you have the beach, but there's lakes and hills and plenty of outdoor activities to be had nearby.

It's also a pretty safe area (although I do remember some areas that were a bit dodgy). I certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity to live in one of the nicest places in the U.S.!
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all--sounds like the great place I thought it would be! How is it for singles...any advice there?

Could you elaborate on the "dicey" places to live? Since I do not know the area it would be helpful to know which to avoid.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 08:10 AM

I don't know of any truely dicey areas of Santa Barbara but some of the areas near the railroad tracks along State St. don't seem too pleasant but I don't think you'll be hanging out around the tracks.
I live in the Monterey bay area and every time I drive through Santa Barbara I tell my husband that it is the only other place I think I could live. Go for it. You might end up staying there forever!