Reload this Page >

Moving to San Diego??????

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:06 AM
jennifer

My husband and I are considering moving to san diego. I have been looking for homes on realtor.com, but I dont know the areas. What do you think of San marcos?

We are looking between $300-340
We are hoping for a family neighborhood with
good schools.
What would you suggest? San Diego is so hugh I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Old May 9th, 2001, 10:51 AM
sm

I've heard that Poway has an excellent school district. It's located in inland N. County just like San Marcos. I don't know about the schools in San Marcos.

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Joe

Yes, geographically San Diego is quite large, but knowing where your job is, your family situation/kids, your likes and dislikes for entertainment, etc. would help people help you.

For instance, San Marcos would not be good if your job was downtown (1 hour commute or more).

If you search for "San Diego moving or relocating", there have been several moving threads over the past year.

Old May 9th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Kristin

I live in San Diego so might be of help. Poway Unified or Torrey Pines is considered great school districts, but you will pay for that. Torrey Pines is near the coast, so $300-$340 is definately out of the question. Poway Unified includes the towns Rancho Penasquitos (PQ), Rancho Bernardo (RB) and Poway. Homes are now approching the $400s though PQ is still more reasonable. We looked at some new homes going up in Sabre Springs (near Poway) that started $370, which I know is ridiculous for the size, but it's a good location. San Marcos is up north and the school district is not that good, especially the high school, but is better than the other surrounding towns up in the north. Also, traffic is horrendous in the mornings if you work anywhere south of there.

Old May 9th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Barbara

I live in Poway Unified School District and have one child in middle school and one in high school. House prices in our district are very high, because of the excellent schools. You might check out the PUSD website for a lot of information. As another poster said, PUSD comprises the city of Poway and the San Diego suburbs of Rancho Penasquitos and Rancho Bernardo.
Torrey Pines High School is in San Dieguito Unified School District, which is also very good. Other schools in this district are in the cities of Solana Beach and Encinitas. Torrey Pines itself is in a northern suburb of San Diego called Carmel Valley. Please feel free to email me directly if I can be of more help.

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Joe2

I would look into short term corporate housing for at least 6 months to get a feel for the area. I work for a company that has relocated hundreds here over the last year or so. Many regret buying first. Although they have been able to sell at a profit and buy elsewhere because of the appreciation of homes has been 15-20%/year since 1998.

I could give you more of an insight, if you provided basic info on your family. With kids, the Poway, Rancho Pen, Rancho Bernardo areas are fine. Without kids, you will be bored and will want to look at UTC or downtown depending on your wants, needs, and desires. Goto www.uniontrib.com and read the forums for insights into the area.

Regarding Poway schools, their reputation is good, but that is strictly based on standardized scores which they teach to rather than educating the kids. I have two elementary school kids and am very disappointed in the schools and district, but that's another thread not appropriate here.

Old May 10th, 2001, 12:49 PM
jennifer

Thanks to all for such great advice!
Now can everyone help me find a job, kidding of course.
My husband will be finishing his masters this summer and then we will be
sending out resumes. Hopefully, we will be moved before the 1st snowfall!

I will consider renting for 6 months and then make a house decision.
Thanks again, now I have some cities to focus on. jennifer

Old May 10th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Suzie

Now that snowfall.... that's the snow you're moving away from? Just checking.

Old May 11th, 2001, 06:15 AM
jennifer

suzie,
yes, moving away from michigan.

Old May 11th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Suzie

Well Jennnifer let me welcome you to the land of rolling blackouts and outrageous gas and electricity rates. If it wasn't CA, we'd probably all be moving away.

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:16 AM
joe3

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear about the rentals, but I meant a 3-6 month corporate-type rental (Oakwood for example) that rents specifically for the short term and usually furnished. You will be hard pressed to find any rentals in SD for less than a one year lease. It very much a landlords market (2% or less vacancy).

Oakwood is very expensive, but most come furnished, with utilities (minus phone), and maid service. You could try more areas if you were willing to use hotels.

Depending on your background, jobs shouldn't be a problem. San Diego is importing people to fill jobs by the boatload (no pun).