Moving to Nashville from NY

Mar 18th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Moving to Nashville from NY

Good afternoon all,
I had seen several posts dedicated to this topic but none really answered my questions so I decided to post a new thread.

I am a 25 year old nurse and will be moving with my boyfriend, also 25, to Nashville next spring. Both of us have been looking forward to getting out from our Long Island, NY bubble and creating a new life together down south.

I was hoping to gather any insights from others who have made the move about the pro's, con's, etc. We have both visited and loved Nashville but making a move away from friends and family is daunting and I am one who needs to know as much as possible before I do anything.

Thanks!
Mar 18th, 2015, 01:47 PM

Do you have specific questions? I live here, though am a native Tennessean so can't compare it to Long Island very well.

Nashville's biggest industry is health care (which is a surprise to many) so there are lots of places for nurses, although there are also tons of nurses here. I know Vanderbilt has been hiring recently. Are you looking for a hospital job, clinic...? Is your boyfriend also looking for work?
Mar 18th, 2015, 02:47 PM

Go here for a pretty good relocation forum that may answer many of your questions- scroll down to Tennessee and select Nashville: www.city-data.com/forum/
Mar 18th, 2015, 03:53 PM

Try entering your question in this forum search. I remember a similar thread several years ago.
Mar 19th, 2015, 03:45 PM

We have visited Nashville many times and LOVE it. It's a friendly, beautiful city, especially if you love live music venues.
Mar 20th, 2015, 07:02 AM

wave - I was at a house concert last night that perfectly illustrated your comment. The community and music are two big reasons I love it here!

acltron - I've found the city to be pretty welcoming to newcomers. You might get some cheeky comments about not being from around here , but in general the city is really used to people moving here from all over.