San Francisco - small, nice hotel recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking to visit in July. Tend to stay in small hotels/B&B's. Maybe $ 150 or less. Perhaps around Union Square? Any ideas or recommendation.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I stayed at the Adante Hotel not long ago, a couple of blocks off Union Square (and easy walk) and I really liked the hotel. It was recently redone and for $130 a night you can get a small suite.

There is a wine bar/internet cafe attached to the hotel, with very nice wines by the glass and great sandwiches.

Also there is a continental breakfast included, (juice, muffins and cereal).

My room was small, but comfortable and nicely appointed and I think it was about $90 a night.

I found it on www.hotels.com.

Also one of my favorite hotels in town was (not sure if they still take guests, since it's a time share) the Powell Inn, right off California St on Powell, very convenient to everything.

Also the Adante, is owned by a retired Baseball player, since I don't know Baseball, I didn't know his name, but others will who follow baseball. Really nice guy and took great care of me while I was there.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Hi NativeNewYorker. You might want to check out the Villa Florence (www.kimpton.com), obviously part of the Kimpton Group. You can almost always get a room for less then $150.00.

It is on Powell St., one half block south of Union Square. They have a free wine hour late afternoon. Attached is the Kuleto's Restaurant.

It seems to me they would fit your requirements quite well. The rooms are not enormous, but well decorated with wonderful beds and the staff is attentive and friendly. The location is exactly where you desire. Public transporation is all within a few blocks also including the cablecars, BART, the F train, busses etc and of course taxis. And the hotel is walking distance to most places in SF. Have a beautiful time in SF.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM

i haven't stayed there in awhile, but i have fond memories of the Kensington Park Hotel on Post Street. i stayed there twice. close to all the Union Square shopping, across the street and a block or so away from Postrio where my brother was then working, and they had killer croissants for their continental breakfasts!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Try The Donatello, center of Union Square & on most travel sites. Frequently you can get a room for $135, which includes their underground parking garage. Extremely pleasant staff, and they boast "some of the largest rooms in the city" - which they truly are. Also, I know it's recently been renovated, and bathrooms are good size and updated. Have a great time seeing the city!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Also Harbor Court HOtel (Kimpton hotel group). Lovely small boutique hotel right across the street from Ferry Building and Embarcadero with easy access to ball park, trams to wharf and also up market street to shopping and cable cars. The Donatello is also nice and we also got a $139.00 deal which included car parking (normally $25.00) for overnight. This hotel is in the theatre district, closer to Union Squ. Have a wonderful visit.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Any of the Kimpton Group hotels would be great. My favorite is the Hotel Monaco, but all are unique and great fun!
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:12 AM

On Post Street is the Andrews which we have been to twice, only 44 rooms. They have each morning a huge buffet on each floor of muffins, bagels,scones, juice, tea, coffee, tea, fruit. In the p.m. there is a glass of wine in the Fino Restaurant downstairs...it certainly is in your category and less than $150 andrewshotel.com
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Check out the Orchard Hotel on Bush Street in Union Square area.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:06 AM
MaureenB

The Hotel Rex is a nice boutique hotel, part of the Joie de Vivre group. Near Union Square, close to a good public parking garage. Very friendly service and charming rooms when we stayed there 3 years ago.

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:06 AM

We've been pleased with The Cartwright and the Tuscan Inn.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM

We just stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn on Columbus Avenue. It's a 3-floor, small hotel within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown- it's in North Beach. It is very clean, very friendly, but no frills.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Another vote for the Kimpton Group. Another choice near Union Square is the Hotel Juliana---small and charming.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We decided on the Savoy, on Geary Street, in the theatre district. Got a suite for $ 169 and it looks lovely.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:50 AM

I agree with all the recommendations for the Klimpton group.

However, if you're not too picky, it is very easy to get a nice hotel in a great location in SF for about $70-80 on priceline. Just choose "4 stars" and the union square and embarcadero areas. We do this many times a year for a quick stay after dinner or some event, as we live about 40 minutes south and don't always want to drive home.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Excellent reviews of Harbor Court Hotel (http://www.harborcourthotel.com) on tripadvisor. I've never stayed, as I'm a local, but it is near where I work - just a few blocks from the Ferry Building with views of the Bay Bridge.

Definitely worth checking out and also part of the Kimpton Group of hotels.

Most likely quieter than staying in Union Square - but very near Market Street and easy transportation. Also not far from the cable car turn-around at the Embarcadero Hyatt.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Did you try the Argent Hotel?
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

We stayed @ the Savoy. It was ok. Not great. A little threadbear. You get what you pay for @ $ 169/189 (weekend) for a suite a few blocks off Union Square. The staff was not particularly top notch. The carpet in our suite was filthy. We had a flood one day in our bathroom, which can happen anywhere, and they were accomodating. I wouldn't stay there again.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:25 AM

The San Remo is very charming, lots of oriental rugs and plants. Small but clean rooms. It is not downtown however, but between North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:46 AM

Another vote for the Andrews. We have stayed here twice in the last 12 months. Would not hesitate to stay again.