Reload this Page >

Moving to Chicago...Apartments!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:41 AM
BelledeJour

Hi, I will be attending Film School in Chicago and am looking to move (I'm in Charlotte, NC right now) in early September. I'm not too familiar with the different neighborhoods and areas of Chicago, but from what I've read (including posts on this board), Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Lincoln Park all sound like areas I would like. I'm VERY involved with the arts--film, music, visual art and poetry...would love to live in an area that is diverse and offers a lot in these fields. Also, living in a reasonably safe area is VERY important! As a student, I won't be able to afford too high of rent. I need a studio apartment, probably between $400 and $600 a month...though I'll probably just be scraping by with rent THAT low! Also, I will need good access to public transportation (I will not have a car). I really appreciate any input, ie which areas to AVOID and which areas to seek out. Thanks!
Belle

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Dan

Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Lincoln Park? Well you have excellent taste.
Expensive too however. I would, and have, lived in Lincoln Park. I suppose you might get lucky and find a small studio for $600. But it will be real small. Lincoln Park is the safest bet for most because it has been an established wealthy neighborhood for years. It's as safe as it gets in Chicago. Wicker Park is up and coming, but still has a few seedy people walking around. Not bad though. Funky artists seem to like it so maybe you will. Lakeview is a mixed bag. Wealthy people and runaways on the street. I WOULD live here however, but I'd try really hard to get into Lincoln Park if possible.

I would not move north of the Addison el-stop. Many people are because of the lower rents, but I consider much of that area dangerous. My humble opinion.

Let me just clarify that my opinion is that of a middle age suburban guy who now lives in the suburbs.

Check this site for a brief description of neighborhoods. The Chicago reader probably has the best apartment classifieds. Good luck.

http://www.aptpeople.com/neighborhoods.htm

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:08 AM
BelledeJour

I thought I might run this by you also...I found an add for a greystone apartment building near Humboldt Park, Augusta Boulevard...closest train is "Damen". Anyone know what kind of area this is?? I really appreciate it.

Belle

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:14 AM
pat

find some roommates. there is nothing in the city limits between $400 and $600. if you find one roommate, your rent could be $400 to $500 in a nice area.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Sally

Belle:
You do NOT want the Humboldt park neighborhood. You DO want Lincoln Park or Lakeview, but you will have to find a room-mate.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Dan

Humboldt Park a little on the gang-bangy side for me. I think you might get lucky for $600, but it will be a tiny studio and you'll have to put in some leg work.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Beth

Welcome to Chicago! I have lived here for 2 1/2 years and ame from Nashville TN, so I can relate. There are many great things to be said for living in the city. You can walk or take public transit to most anyplace though the weather is is UGGGGGHHHHH!

I currently own a 2 br condo in Lakeview on Halstead Street 3+ blocks south of Addison (Plaza 32). Its a great area. When I first moved here, my husband and I mid 20s at time rented a 1 br. apt for 6 months while we were looking to find the perfect place to buy and to fix our place up so I can relate. You will most likely NOT find anything in Lincoln Park for your price range. We tried 2 years ago and there was nothing, rents have gone up since then. Lincoln Park continues up to Diversey Street and then north of Diversey is Lakeview. We found our rental 2 blocks north of Diversey on Wellington and paid $750/month for tiny 1 br., parking was an extra $125/month. You could probably go cheaper with studio and I'm not sure if you have a car so parking may be a nonisssue. I would not consider Wicker Park/ Bucktown for a newomer to the city. this is an "up and coming" area. Believe its not here as a safe area yet. There are some very nice apts/condos there and one street over maybe a methadone clinic or a crack house. Sill very spotty. there are some nice restaurants here but unless you really know chicago well, don't move here. As to your post above, Damen, IMHO opinion is too far west. Its on the brown line of the subway/el. You would be in a much better neighborhood on the near north side the further east and closer to the lake you are and this would be somewhere along the red line subway/el. As far as what the other poster said about Lakeview norht of Addsison being dangerous, this may have been true 8-10 years ago , but not today. The only truth is that north of Addison the "safe area" shrinks some in width. For instance below Addison you could go a little bit further west and still be ok than you could above Addison. I really think Lincoln Park is out like I said so I will help you with soem guidelines. Chiago is set up on a grid system as far as addresses go. Safe and trendy areas in Lakeview to look would be from 2900 North to 4000 North (about 11 block span). Below 3600 N (addison) you can go from 0 (the lake) to about 1 - 1800 west. Above 3600 N, O to 1200 West. IF you give any realto or apartment hunting service these coordinates and your price range, they will find something , trendy, and safe! My suggestion use an apartment hunting service, there is no fee, the apartment complex pays the fee for being listed by the service.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:44 AM
BelledeJour

Thanks so much for all the responses...I'm considering both a roommate and an apartment locator service...I've already tried to find a reasonable place on my own but it's too much work (for someone as lost as I am)! If anyone else wants to contribute, keep it coming! I really appreciate it.

Belle

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Gooey

Let me add my two cents worth. I am born and raised in the city living on the north side my whole life. I currently live in Edgewater, a great meighborhood at about 6100 north and 1200 west. The rents are not like Licoln Park, Lakeview or Wicker Park. The area is diverse which I might add most of the above neighborhoods are not. Finally the area is near the trendy Andersonville and soon becoming trendy Rogers Park areas. Good luck with your search.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:15 PM
lisa

Hi Belle. I have lots of friends and two brothers in Chicago and get up there as often as I can. One of my friends lives in Lincoln Park and I usually stay with her when I'm in Chicago. It's my favorite area of Chicago, but I really think it's out of your price range.

Both of my brothers live in Wrigleyville, and they each have small studio apartments in your price range, and love that neighborhood.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 02:23 PM
lgmaumee

I moved from Charlotte to Chicago and now I'm back in Charlotte. You may like Evanston. Try to find an apartment between the El and the lake, which would be on the east side of town. Evanston has a small-town feel to it, it's close to the lake, it offers a lot of cultural events at Northwestern and it's easy to get anywhere on the El or the train, which are next to each other in southeast Evanston.

Buy a WARM coat. Better yet, a parka!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:36 PM
gina

You've gotten lots of good advice on neighborhoods, but personally I'd tell you to stick with Lakeview or Wrigleyville.

Lincoln Park is wonderful, but a studio for $600 is not at all likely.

Wicker Park is tough for a newcomer to the city, feels a bit shady, and public transportation can be difficult.

Search Chicago Reader - chireader.com - for units in the 60657 zip code. I found a few with September availability in the low $600's, good, funky neighborhoods, safe, close to public transport. I've included a few below... but there are lots more if you do a search yourself.

635 BARRY. STUDIOS $605/ $635 plus electric. Hardwood floors, microwave, ceiling fan, miniblinds, cable ready (RCN and Ameritech). No
pets. No smoking. Immediate, 8/1 & 9/1. 773-404-6565.

BELMONT AT LAKE Shore. Charming vintage elevator building, has recently renovated studios and one bedrooms. Newer appliances, carpets,
ceiling fans, etc. Management, laundry and maintenance on site. Immediate. Great value. Call 773-477-7700 or 847-366-6555.

2844 NORTH ORCHARD Two blocks to Diversey el. 21/2 room studio apartment. Hardwood floors, separate kitchen. $550 heat included.
773-935-2261. Paul J. Quetschke & Company.

837 W WOLFRAM, west of Halsted, north of Diversey. Studio apartment, tile bath, newer kitchen. Air conditioning, ceiling fan, miniblinds,
laundry room. 1 block to el. Security intercom. Available September 1st. $625, separate heat. Call Jeff, 773-327-6650.

Good luck! You'll love Chicago - and don't let the winterphobes scare you, if you dress properly, its really not THAT cold...