Reload this Page >

Moving to Boston - Question re: Back Bay Apt Building

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:59 PM
sally

Not a totally travel related question but....I am moving to Boston and was wondering whether anyone has any comments about the Greenhouse Apartment building in Back Bay. The location is just what I want. I am curious about hearing whether anyone has heard about how happy tenant's are, whether the building is well kept up, etc.
thanks.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Ellen

One thing you should know about it is that it pretends to be in the Back Bay but it's really in the South End. it's a nice enough location, and certainly convenient, but I can't help wondering why they say it's in the Back Bay.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:36 PM
charles

Actually, it's not in the South End or Back Bay - it's in St. Botolph, on Huntingdon, accross from the Christian Science Plaza. Fine location but a 7 minute walk to either Back Bay or the South End.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:13 AM
Ellen

Charles, who do you think you're kidding? Do you really think that "St. Botolph" is an actual section of the city of Boston? Everything south of the Pru is the South End, including Huntington Ave., until you get far enough west to be Fenway. Check a map. Those guys in guppied-up "St. Botolph" just don't want to admit that they're in the South End. Much like the folks at the Greenhouse.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:54 PM
charles

Ellen,

Evidently you are a nitwit. I live in the South End, which is a wonderful neighborhood, so I am certainly not trying to avoid slandering St. Botolph by calling it the South End. As everyone in Boston knows, including the St. Botolph Neighborhood Association, the ORganizers of the St. Botolph street fair, etc. etc., St. Botolph is its own neighborhood, albeit a small one. The South End starts at the Southwest corridor or the Turnpike, depending where you are.

Inasmuch as I live a few blocks away I will forgo checking a map.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:09 PM
Jill

I live in the South End. The Greenhouse (to get back to your original question) is full of international and trust-fund students. (I graduated from NU about 10 years ago and at least it was then) If you're a professional, consider living elsewhere unless you want a place that feels like a dorm. Boston is so full of wonderful, charming, personality-filled apartment buildings. I'd go for one of those. Good luck!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Parrot Mom

Your all so funny...lol... The location is great whether it's considered the South End or not...On the other side of the Pru is the start of the Back Bay I would think with Beacon Street, etc. To me it's a fabulous location, but if it as a writer mentions a "trust fund" building for students..just know you've been warned. We Bostonians (yes, I was born there in Southie) still think the area St. Botolph Street or not is really great..Stop nitpicking..it's near the Symphony, Mother Church, Neiman Marcus, Saks, and all those great S.End restaurants..what more do you want. As they say, location, location, location.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:36 PM
charles

I agree with Jill, by the way. That is its reputation - ie an expensive dorm. Everyone I've known who has lived there fits the profile.

THat said, I haven't heard anything bad about the place.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:41 PM
charles

PArrotmom,

I agree with you, but the Greenhouse is actually a bit of a walk from the center of the South End. That said, as the original poster says the location is perfect for her, the above isn't so relevant.

OP, one thing that you might have gathered from the above is that you can probably live somewhere nearby the greenhouse for less money. In general St. Botolph and the Fenway are cheaper than the South End or Back Bay. The greenhouse is a major exception to this rule.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:29 PM
bos

I agree with a few things said here:

Greenhouse is an expensive dorm.
St. Botolph is its own neighborhood
Location is close to everything, but the ambience is NOT good.

Huntington Avenue is probably the least charming street in Boston. It's crowded with taxis, and in a city that bills itself as the "Walking city" it's one of the least pedestrian-friendly strip of asphalt in the area.

If you're in the real Back Bay, you'll walk out of your building into one of the most charming and beautiful neighborhoods in the entire US. Gas lamps, beautiful entrances and leafy streets are the rule, not the exception.

If you're in the Greenhouse you'll enjoy close proximity to everything, but it's certainly NOT the Back Bay. I'd check elsewhere. These "full service" buildings appeal to students because they have full sales offices and pictures of the building on websites.

Most buildings in Boston are small brownstones, and you really have to be in Boston to look at them. You'll find better deals in a more charming neighborhood, even if you only go a half block away!

Good luck!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:47 PM
b

by the way, the South End is an extremely nice neighborhood. As is the Back Bay, as is St. Botolph!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:39 PM
Ellen

Having lived in Boston for over 50 years, and having seen various neighborhoods improve or decline, as well as having a master's degree in city planning, I promise you that St. Botolph is indeed a neighborhood in one sense of the word, but not a distinct section apart from the section known as the South End. Every major section of the city has it sub-sections, and St. Botolph is a sub-section of the South End.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/neighborhoods/default.asp

http://www.tbf.org/boston/mb-glance2.html

http://www.boston-online.com/Neighborhoods/

http://www.tiac.net/users/rcahill/ho...sct/mapsct.htm

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Ann

Sally, I know this is not the usual reply, and I hope I don't get in trouble, and this is NOT an advertisement, but just this morning a colleague of mine was saying he must sublet his apartment in the Back Bay asap because his wife just started a job in the middle of the state and he can't join her until they sublet the Boston place. If you want specifics, please email me at the above address and I'll put you directly into contact with them.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Angela

Sally--I can recommend a much better alternative building to live in. Post your email, and I'll send you the info (don't want the word to get out, though!)