Reload this Page >

Moving pets to Hawaii

Search

Moving pets to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:23 PM
darlas

Moving pets to Hawaii

What is the best way to get pets to Hawaii? I have heard that they need to stay in quarenteen there and that costs $20 a day.

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently there are three types of quarantine: a 120 day quarantine, a 30 day quarantine, or a new 5 day or less quarantine (whatever that means). The 120 quarantine is automatic unless you qualify for one of the shorter ones. The pre-arrival process so that your pet doesn't have to go into the 120 day quarantine is quite extensive. I suggest that you go to this site and read through the requirements thoroughly as one missed item on the check list causes your pet to go into the longer quarantine: http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm

And you can only arrive thru Honolulu airport.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Patty is correct about the quarentine. When I moved to HI my pets were in for the 120 day stay in quarentine as I did not have enough advanced noticed of the move. You need to start preparations at least 90 days in advance, possibly longer, in order to qualify for the shorter stay. The quarentine facility is well run, clean, and the staff are friendly and professional. We spent every weekend for 4 months visiting our cats and got to know their caretaker pretty well.

Also - be sure to check with the airlines regarding shipping. Animals arriving in HI must fly cargo - they can not be transported in the cabin. Many airlines have summer restrictions on shipping animals due to high temperatures. When I moved to Hawaii I had to ship the cats a month before my move date. I used Delta at that time. Having just moved back to the mainland I used Contenental - both airlines have special animal handling programs.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:19 AM

We also shipped our pets to Hawaii. We unraveled all the pre-quarantine rules and qualified for the shorter 30 day stay.

With the new law there will be only a 5 day quarantine but all conditions must be met AND THEY ARE COMPLICATED. Do your homework!

We shipped our pets several weeks before we moved and they weere almost ready to be spring by the time we go to our new house. The facility in Aiea was friendly, clean, and well run.

Try to book a late arriving flight for your pets---the airlines will refuse animals on the day of shipment if the temp is going to be 80+ at arrival time. LAte night arrival the best.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:49 PM

I agree with all of the previous comments. The 120 days seemed like forever to me, and I visited my two cats every day. They were still pretty depressed. Shorter quarantines were not available at that time (20 years ago), so do your homework and take advantage of them if possible!