Mountain biking the slopes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see where you can mountain bike the slopes of Sundance and others during the summer. Quesetion: how do you get the bikes up the mountain? They mention you can buy a lift ticket. Sounds fun. Gp
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:42 AM

We did this several years ago in CO. They hang the bike from the chair lift, and up you go. It was a blast.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Make sure your brakes are in tip top condition. Going down these mountains on bikes can be a little treacherous in some parts and lots of people wear spine protectors.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:38 PM

Greg,

It sounds like you haven't mountain biked before. At least at a ski area. Be sure to stick to the green trails because you are often on actual ski runs = steep! It hurts a lot to fall (unlike skiing).
Sundance is one of the most beautiful places in the world. You'll love it!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:12 AM

We did the downhill bike at Whister a few years ago. Although I bike a lot on paved trails and a little on rolling mountain bike trails through the woods near home and near Jasper, this was totally different.

We went with a guide as a group. We rode the lift up with the bikes on back, got off at the top and jumped on the bikes. First we had to bike uphill a ways at altitude to get to the route we would take down. Then we stood on our bikes with brakes on as we slide down a rock covered service road most of the way down the mountain. It just wasn't what I expected. No time to enjoy the view or surroundings. The rock was big and rough. Someone fell each time down and really got skinned anywhere exposed. The type of trip I went on was basically for speed and thrills.