Bike riding in Monterey CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As fodorites have probably gathered by now, we head up to Monterey every year over President's Day Weekend. For the last few years I've been toying with the idea of dragging our bikes up there, since there's so many bike paths. It looks like the weather will be good enough (hurray!) this weekend to actually ride bikes, and the Mike's bikes topic on the Europe board jogged my mind about the bike trails.

So the question is, should we bring our own or just rent them, and if we rent them, anyone know where? (I did check with the hotel, and they can store the bikes). Any place close to the wharf for the rentals?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would choose to bring my own bike if it was practical. That way you don't have to deal with rentals and you know the condition of the bike you are riding and are familiar with all the quirks.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:46 PM

I agree with J Correa, bring your own. We haul all of our bikes from CA up to northern Or all the time. It's just nice to be able to come and go at your leisure. The bike paths along PG are our favorite in the area.

Have fun in Monterey! It should be a beautiful weekend for bike riding. Pt. Lobos was also a fun place to ride, you just have to stay on the paved roads. ***kim***
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks. Yes, it's easy enough for us to bring the bikes (we take them every year to Yosemite!). Pt Lobos sounds like a great idea. No -- I won't go off the paved roads, I don't have a mountain bike (my son does) -- mine is one of those wonderful old lightweight racing bikes.

Do you have any paths you could recommend?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:56 PM

I do have a mountain bike, so going to Pt. Lobos and having to stay on the paved roads was torture. We were told when we entered the park to stay on the paved roads.

My husband plays by the book and would NOT go off the paved paths, I just had to take a few off-road trails and thoroughly embarrassed him. You'll see what I mean when you go there. It sure was fun and I'm glad I didn't get caught! LOL ***kim***
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM

kimamom - my husband is totally by the book too. I am *mostly* by the book, but the anarchist in me can't follow the rules ALL the time.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 04:52 PM

LOL J Correa! And we both like to swim in Lake Tahoe! I hope there aren't any park rangers reading this thread! No, following all the rules all of the time is just a bit much! (g) ****kim***
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:26 AM

LOL kimamom - that's very true! I come from a long line of rule breakers. It's in my blood. We are all fairly law abiding citizens, but there are just some times when we just can't. You understand.