Bike rack help, roof or trunk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I need to buy a bike rack for 4 bikes that will fit my Volvo XC wagon (not SUV). The trunk mounts seem more economical and easier to install, but does that mean they have to be disassembled and bikes removed to access the trunk?

That wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker as we plan on using the rack to transport the bikes to a vacation house and back, and won't have to stop along the way.

I've never used a bike rack so any comments, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM

I've used both kinds on a Volvo V70), and sometimes both at once (to carry 5 bikes). I'm assuming that by "trunk mount" you mean the kind with rubber feet and nylon straps that you can easily put on when needed, but is not permanently mounted. Those are a bit inconvenient when you want to get into the back of the car, although my son could lift ours even with 2 bikes on it (that probably wouldn't work with 4 bikes). They are also a bit more difficult for securing the bikes, theft-wise, but if you lock the bikes to the rack it would take a very serious thief to make off with the whole rack with bikes attached.

The roof mounts are very secure, but also have their drawbacks. I now have a Saab instead of the Volvo, and with bikes on top my highway MPG drops from 32 to around 27. Also, with the Volvo, which was taller, I had trouble putting bikes on top myself (I am 5' 2"). Finally, according to the bike shop mechanic who fixed up my bike after I drove the car into the garage with the bike on top----"everybody does that once."

Overall, I'd say for your purposes, the less-expensive trunk rack is the better option. I'm assuming that a couple of the bikes would be smaller kids' bikes?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:50 AM

I have a hitch mount- it can be lowered so that you can get in the trunk without taking bikes off -
But if you dont already have a hitch on the car - you have to have that installed.

The trunk mount would mean taking the bikes off if you want to get in the back.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:52 AM

I always used a rear rack simply because I am only 5'2 and I didn't want to struggle putting the bike up on the roof(or scratch the paint!)
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, I'm 5'7" so I would be able to reach, but I think it would be heavy for me to put the bikes on top of the car. On some of the trips my husband won't be with me.

Also, I don't have a hitch on the car so that's out.

Enzian, you're correct by the trunk mount. I think the only time theft would be a problem would be when we stop at a rest stop off the highway, so I guess I'll buy a lock too.

Thanks for the replies!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Our roof rack for bikes is great as long as my husband is around. If it were just me, I'd prefer the trunk mount.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Even with the bikes locked to the rack, your seat and seatpost can be stolen. That happened to us at an overnight stop (motel) when I left my bike on the car (and son brought his more expensive bike in the room.) Now, when stopping overnight, I either remove the seat and post, or put the whole bike inside the car.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I always worried that the whole rack was going to fall off when I used a trunk mount and that was with just 1 or 2 bikes. They just don't seem real secure. I was always tightening straps every time I stopped. I now have a hitch mount and love it. It takes 5 min to attach it to the car and I can carry 4 bikes without any worries. A U-Haul dealer can usually inexpensively attach a hitch.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM

I also think the hitch mount is worth the extra expense - so easy to get the bikes on and off-
and when I had a trunk rack - some of the straps rubbed the paint right off the car when driving over a bumpy road so I wasnt happy with that.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM

I had a trunk rack on my Subaru and it rubbed off some paint over time. That said, it was easy to load. I don't think I could put a bike on the roof and I'm 5'9".
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

OK, maybe I'll revisit the hitch option. Birdie, great info about the UHaul dealer, thanks again!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Another vote for hitch mount. Really the best of both worlds. You should be able to get the hitch and rack together for ~$300 if you go aftermarket. Volvo sells its own hitch and bike rack, but they're pricy ($462/$362) for over $800.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Another vote for the hitch mount style. Some fold down and others sort of open wide, like a door. Ours goes down and I think I would prefer the other. I like the hitch mount since they are easily accessible, but also if the have the car top carrier, we can haul a ton of stuff