Search

Mount Vernon or Monticello

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:19 PM
KJP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mount Vernon or Monticello

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I didn't see a Mount Vernon or Monticello topic when I did a search.

We are taking a family vacation to the DC area in March and thinking we might want to spend a day at Mount Vernon or Monticello, but we probably can't do both. I went to both when I about the same age as my daughter and remember enjoying Monticello more because it seemed like Mount Vernon didn't have any furniture compared to Monticello. I realize that much has changed in 30 years so I didn't want to base a decision just on my previous experience. Does anyone have a recommendation for one over the other? The slight price difference and the drive distance are not big deals. What would be more interesting for a 10 year old? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with you. I enjoyed Monticello more - especially walking the grounds.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:45 PM

The distance would be a big deal to me. Mount Vernon is 20 minutes from DC area while Monticello is like 2.5 hrs. So, your talking 5 hours of driving time to see Monticello vs less than 1 hour for Mount Vernon.
I think I like Monticello best (was there last year). I don't think I would go that far out of the way unless I were doing other thing along the way though. At the same time, I think it would be a shame to be in DC and not see Mount Vernon.

If you are wanting just to see big Plantation Homes with really nice furnishings then save that for a trip to Natchez or New Orleans River Road. Those are serious plantations. Monticello and Mount Vernon are certainly big, but they have a different kind of historical value. The octagon shapes of Monticello are fascinating to me as was TJ's inventions. Montpelier Home(Monroe's Home) isn't far away and Ashlawn(Madison's Home) is just a couple of miles from Monticello.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 01:47 PM

I thought the grounds at Mount Vernon were really good. Overlooking the river.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 03:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Monticello is very interesting. But so is Mt Vernon - and Mt Vernon is basically on the outskirts of DC while Monticello really isn't w/i 'day trip' distance.

I enjoyed Monticello maybe a bit more but that was mainly because it was bloody hot while I was at Mt Vernon. I actually spent more time there then at Monticello.

I personally think a child would enjoy Mt Vernon more - w/ all the living history and children's activities.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Things have changed a LOT at Mount Vernon since you last visited 30 years ago. First of all, they have built a new and fabulous museum/education center with an introductory film (hosted by Pat Sajak) and with lots of interesting exhibits. They've also added a lot of extra tours, some of which are free and some of which have a nominal fee. I found the one about slave life at Mount Vernon (which was free) particularly fascinating. There's even a tour about the "National Treasure" movie if you and your daughter have seen it. Also, there are costumed characters, such as "Lady Washington" who are available on the grounds for you to talk with Finally, there's an adventure map with puzzles for kids (and a prize). Take a look at the Mount Vernon website for info on all these activities and more.

Considering all there is for kids to see and do at Mount Vernon these days and its proximity to D.C., I would choose a visit to Mt. Vernon rather than Monticello.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM
KJP
Original Poster

Day trip probably wasn't the best description as we are willing to drive to Charlottesville and stay overnight there if need be.

Spirobulldog, it's less about seeing a plantation home as we live in the south and see plenty. My child is studying American History more in depth this year in school so she's excited about seeing the home of one of the presidents. I lean towards Monticello because I enjoyed it so much as a child for the reasons you mentioned. I remember Mt. Vernon as being quite boring so the fact that they have children's activities and living history as janisj says is already an improvement from when I was a child.

I appreciate everyone's input!
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 04:08 PM

I think either one would be fascinating. I prefer Monticello - slightly - but wouldn't do a 5 hour trip versus less than an hour for Mount Vernon.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 04:12 PM

I believe Monticello has children's activities too.

I found Monticello fascinating - and mostly because of Jefferson's inventions and designs. I also enjoyed walking the grounds to the cemetery and through the area of the slave quarters. KJP, maybe you've explained why Mount Vernon was a bit boring - we can see plantation homes every day of the week around here. I don't know of anything like Monticello - because there was no one like Jefferson coming up with amazing ideas and implementing them.

An aside - someone just recommended this book as one of the best historical books he's read. I've ordered it from Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet - http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Jeffers...n+book+meacham
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Children's resources - http://www.monticello.org/site/families-and-teachers

An aside to my aside - the first thing I saw on the website was Meacham, the author of the book above
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 05:38 PM

I would do Mt. Vernon and save Monticello for later. There really is a lot to do in that area. Montpelier, Ashlawn, Luray Caverns, Shenandoah National Park, Historical Battlefields, etc.

Monticello and Mount Vernon both offer "extra" tours. Monticello changes their tours throughout the year. Tour of the upstairs, Night Tour, Apple/Orchard in October for example. I would guess they would have some kind of special events in March. Mt. Vernon perhaps does too.

BTW, We were there once in March and the Cherry Blossom Trees were spectacular. I'm not sure about when/how long they last.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 06:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From what you say - Mt Vernon is entirely different from when you last visited. I cannot imagine anyone possibly being bored there now.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 12:23 AM

Monticello also has a new visitor center with lots of educational activities. I would have to flip a coin.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:10 AM
KJP
Original Poster

Well, it looks like I will have to flip a coin as Ackislander suggests. Thanks, everyone, for your input. It should be a fun trip regardless of which president's home we visit.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:32 AM
cd

I don't know how much time you have, but is it possible to do both? We were at Mt Vernon this past summer and really enjoyed walking the grounds, seeing the slave quarters and listening to Mrs Washington tell us about George as she sat knitting all dressed in costume. The tour of the house goes fast and is not as interesting as Monticello, but we really enjoyed the grounds. I think you could check out of your DC hotel early, drive the 20 min, spend 3-4hrs and continue the drive to Monticello, spend the night and tour Monticello the next day. If you do go to Mt Vernon, be sure to get your ticket for the house tour as soon as you get there. You can then visit maybe the slave quarters while you wait your turn. We waited longer in line than it took us to tour the house.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM

There are a pair of bald eagles nesting in a large tree right next to the GW parkway about 3 miles from Mount Vernon near Ft Hunt Road. Park at the River Farm Drive parking area and walk upriver (away from Mt Vernon) about 1/4 mile. Towards the end of the long grassy strip are 3 holly trees next to the bike path. Go in front of them and directly across the Parkway up in a big tree, clearly visible, is the nest. You can't miss it when the leaves are down. They can also be seen perched in the trees next to the river in the general vicinity of the nest. Just the other day, one was up in a tree right above the bike path.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM
cw

The experience of visiting Mt. Vernon is fabulous since they've built the new underground museum. The grounds are lovely, the house is full of furniture, and the replica garden area along the Potomac is quite interesting along with the animals. There are people explaining different crafts and cooking. Nearby, there is a slave's house building.

I would say that you shouldn't miss it since you are so close by in D.C.

It's impossible to say which venue is better. Both homes give great insights into the minds of their owners. I like the idea (above) of visiting Mt. Vernon on the way to Monticello. That way you can come back and give us your opinion!
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM

I haven't been to Monticello so can't compare. But we took our family of 5 and my brother to Mount Vernon this summer and it was one of everyone's favorite destinations during our time at DC. My husband is less into history than some and came away feeling he understood George Washington so much more than before.

We were fortunate to be there for the laying of a wreath and girls' choir singing the 23rd Psalm at the Washingtons' gravesites. A highlight of our trip.

If you do go to Monticello, look for a copy of the Smithsonian's article on Jefferson from this August or September. A lot of new scholarship about the man.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:37 PM

Forgot to mention: I felt a little rushed going through the house at Mount Vernon and mentioned it to the staff. They told me that I could line up and go through a second time. So I did.