Search

Mosquitos in Columbia River Gorge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2021, 08:16 AM
fb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mosquitos in Columbia River Gorge

We are planning a trip to the Columbia River Gorge in late April - early May. We generally like to hike, but my wife is extremely sensitive to mosquito bites. Will that be much of a problem?
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 05:30 AM

We have been hiking in this area for ages and mosquitos are not a problem. That is one area that we don't even take bug spray with us, to give you an idea.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 07:26 AM

I'm surprised mosquitos aren't a problem there. I figured anywhere with heat and a water source would have lots of them. I also have a problem with getting bit so I just drench myself in deet to fend the little buggers off.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Flurnim
I'm surprised mosquitos aren't a problem there. I figured anywhere with heat and a water source would have lots of them. I also have a problem with getting bit so I just drench myself in deet to fend the little buggers off.

You'll be very lucky if you have 'heat' on the Gorge in April/May. Plan on highs in the 50's-60's and lows in the 40's . . . You'll need jackets more than shorts and mosquito spray.
Old Mar 28th, 2021, 11:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
You'll be very lucky if you have 'heat' on the Gorge in April/May. Plan on highs in the 50's-60's and lows in the 40's . . . You'll need jackets more than shorts and mosquito spray.
Very true. Wear long sleeves/pants. I suggest the hike up to the top of Multnomah Falls. There is a restaurant at the bottom. There is a left exit off I-84 for the parking lot in the median. There is a pedestrian tunnel under the eastbound lanes to get over to the base of the falls. Have some DEET available for your face and neck if you need it. The gorge is known for some strong winds at times.