Mosquitoes in Sanibel/Captiva?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Captiva this weekend and wonder if I need to bring along bug spray and if so, are bugs mostly bad at night or do I need to spritz throughout the day? Not sure how to prepare! Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:53 AM

mosquito is Florida's state bird. They are not bad yet as rainy season hasn't started and we have been very dry for a while. Unless is rains a lot the next few days you'll be ok on the mosquitos but at sunset and sunrise tiny little no seeums will bite you on the beach. Just put on Skin so Soft or similar repellant or wear long pants and long sleeves.

LMF
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:18 AM

I was in Captiva a couple of weeks ago and got really bit up by the noseums in the evening. So definitely at least spray your legs when going out in the evening, especially at dusk.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:21 AM

I found the "no-see-ums" were the pests, not mosquitos. I couldn't figure out if I had them or sand fleas. Just use a repellant & you'll be fine. It was no big deal.
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM

We went last year at this time and found the no-see-ums were awful. I carried a bug repellant with me at all times (something with 20% DEET). I ended up showering 2-3 times a day b/c I hated that crap on me but I had to use it or I was eaten alive. It's the worst on the beach in the morning & evening, and in Ding Darling or other nature areas. If you have repellant and use it, you'll be fine. If you don't, you probably will regret it. My husband, who can stand in a cloud of mosquitos and not get bitten (they all run to bite me!), found that he was being bitten by the no-see-ums and had to use the Deet spray (he tried the skin so soft and didn't feel it worked). Have a WONDERFUL time, the worst day on Captiva is better than the best day just about anywhere else!