Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo/Avila Beach/ Santa Barbara

Aug 24th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello again,
We have a 9:50 tour of Hearst Castle on Wed. the 1st of Sept. Our neighbors suggested we make stops en route to LA at the following places; Morro Bay,San Luis Obispo, Avila Beach, and Santa Barbara. I know that's way to many things to see! Can anyone narrow down our choices. By this time my 16 year old daughter will be going through shopping withdrawl, so someplace with shops and cafes would be nice. SLO looks nice. Whats a good place to eat lunch after Hearst?
Aug 24th, 2004, 10:39 AM

We really enjoyed our stay at the Inn at Morro Bay, www.innatmorrobay.com We had the oceanview, fireplace room that had a soft-tub jacuzzi on the patio.

The beds are featherbeds, breakfast delivered in a picnic basket in the am, and the grounds are very pretty. Swimming pool, complimentary bikes that we rode around and a spa on-site.

The robes were the softest I've ever had for hotel robes, satin-lined. Our dinner at the restaurant was also excellent.

For lunch after your tour, head over to the Moonstone Bar & Grill and dine on the patio. My 15 yr. old really enjoys this place. Varied menu, good service and beautiful views of Moonstone Beach.

After lunch, hit all the quaint shops in downtown Cambria. This sounds kind of funny, but the best souvenirs are at the Shell gas station there on the corner. You can get all kinds of touristy stuff for almost half the price of the boutiques there in town. Have fun! ***kim***

Aug 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM

The tours at Hearst Castle last about and hour and forty five minutes. If you're doing Tour one and seeing the movie I'd suggest you get there in time to see it first (I think it lasts 45 minutes and runs every 45 minutes--check the website to verify).
Lumch in Cambria is a good suggestion and the Moonstone Bar and Grill has a nice setting.
Your daughter would most likely prefer the shopping in downtown San Luis Obispo or on State Street in Santa Barbara. Both areas are attractive and also have lots of restaurants. Morro Bay is a rather charming fishing village with shopping most in the "souvenir" vein. Avila Beach is pretty and usually sunny but other than the beach, there's not much else there.
Enjoy our beautiful part of the world!
Aug 24th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I didn't realize the movie was not part of the tour. I guess we'll be getting up early that day. The Moonstone Bar And Grill sounds like a good choice. I'll check it out.
Laurie
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:28 PM

if you're in SLO on Thur. evening, DON'T forget the farmer's market! what a hoot!

we loved Morro Bay - I'd move there in an instant...