Morro Bay, Cambria, or San Simeon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling from Sequoia NP to the coast on our way to San Francisco. We plan to spend one night in one of the above cities. Any suggestions as to which city to choose and where to stay at a reasonable price?
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Skip Morro Bay! Cambria is a charming town! If you can get a night at the San Luis Bay Inn - grab it! It is in Avila Beach right outside of San Luis Obispo. You will really be able to relax in a one bedroom suite...Kitchen...pool...two tvs and a VCR. Check on Orbitz. I think it is 2 hours from Sequoia to Fresno and then 2 1/2 hours to San Luis Obispo. Have fun!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 12:54 PM

We thoroughly enjoyed our stop in Morro Bay a couple of years ago. Can't remember where we stayed, but got some pix at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall .
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Ani

Morro Bay is cute-but REALLY boring.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Try the website:www.visitslo.com and you will find lots of information on the area. If you want to look for places to stay click on "where to stay" and then select "north coast" this will give you information and links to lots of choices.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 04:46 PM
dg

just last week stayed at Gray's Inn and Art Gallery - it's balcony is right over the water. each unit has a kitchen. we loved it and Morro Bay. BUT we're older, so not looking for nightlife. the embarcadero was REALLY quiet after @ 10pm.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 07:28 PM

I go along with the skip Morro Bay crowd. The first few times we went there it was okay, but one of the main attractions there is Morro Rock. After awhile looking out at the rock got pretty old. I'd definitely go with Cambria instead. We also liked Pismo Beach.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 08:03 PM

Well I'm in my mid-30's and really enjoy Morro Bay. Living a much more hectic pace in LA, I thoroughly enjoy the slower pace and friendliess of Morro Bay. To be able to take in a $5 movie and then wander over for a few tacos before a walk down by the water - what could be more relaxing?

I'm not a fan of Pimsoo Beach. Too tacky for my taste. Cambria is another great choice for a place to stay.

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:28 AM

I think that it is really a matter of what you are interested in.

Morro Bay is a small beach and fishing community with a nice embarcadero for strolling. There are some casual restaurants, tourist shops, and a marine mammal rehabilitation place where you can go to see some animals. The harbor is nice and you can rent canoes and kayaks right from the docks. They also have boat tours. We took a boat tour early one morning while the water was calm and saw many sea lions and sea otters - lots of fun. Morro Bay also has plenty of motels so there are several choices for reasonable priced accomodations.

Cambria is also nice. It's more of an artsy place with shops and galeries. Moonstone Beach is a nice place to stay.

San Simeon isn't really a town per se. There are a few places out there, but not many. I've never stayed there, but it seems like a good option if you want to be away from town.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:13 AM

No matter which town you decide to stay, from Sequoia National Park you do not want to go to Fresno.

Get a map, but you will head down through Visalia and on over to Cambria, Morro Bay, etc. Even San Luis Obispo. It's a 4 to 5 hour drive.

Curious
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:43 PM
JVS

I definitely recommend Cambria. Small sleepy town with galleries and good restaurants. Will recommend a B&B if you like
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Please recommend some places in Cambria. Not just B&B,but other hotels and motels. Will be driving from San Francisco after a 5 hour flight, rent a car to drive for the night to see Hearst Castle the next morning. Want to stay fairly closeby. Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

JVS: A nice bed & breakfast in Cambria would be great. We need a room with 2 beds as my daughter and I travel together. Another person mentioned boat trips available at Morro Bay. How far is this from Cambria? I also read there is a great Farmer's Market on Thursday evening in San Luis Obispo. Since we will be staying in the area on Thursday evening would this be close enough for us to drive and would it be worth our time? Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 08:56 AM

If you have not been to Morro Bay it is nice to see once or twice. We went about 3 or four times, and after the third time it started to get old. I've only been to Pismo Beach once. I thought it was nice, however, I have also heard that Shell Beach just north of there is even nicer. If you plan to see Hearst Castle, Cambria is a perfect place to stay.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 08:57 AM

It's about a half hour drive from Cambria to Morro Bay and then another 20 minutes or so to San Luis Obispo.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM

I don't have a suggestion for where to stay, but do recommend that you visit San Simeon (Hearst Castle) while you're in the area. They have several different tours that take different amounts of time focusing on different areas of the house and/or estate. Be sure to see the introductory film at the Tourist Center/Ticket Office that gives you the history of the estate.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 11:22 AM
JVS

mlm59- I will look in my files tonight for the B&B in Cambria. (I only have one recommendation- but I think it is a good one). Also, as an obvious, but not mentioned option- The Madonna Inn. It is very close to The Hearst Castle (within 1 or 2 exits). Its a crazy place that you should visit at least once.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 11:36 AM

My parents like to stay at the Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo. They say service and accomodations are very good. I didn't see a price range so I don't know waht reasonable is for you. Here's the web site http://www.applefarm.com/home.asp
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:04 PM

The Madonna Inn is not one or two exits from Hearst Castle. The Madonna Inn is in San Luis Obispo which is about 40 miles from Hearst Castle. It is indeed a funky place and would certainly be an option but it's not right by Hearst Castle.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Take a look at boutiquehotelcollection.com for some nice looking hotels in the area. maybe someone can comment on them. They all look great.