B&B or small hotel between San Francisco and San Jose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a small and quiet B&B or small hotel somewhere south of San Francisco airport - say up to 30 minutes drive away. Maybe somewhere on the bay coast?

Does anyone have any recommendations ot thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:17 AM

I would suggest staying over on the ocean coast rather than on the bay. Much of the area along the bay south of the airport is industrial. Coastal San Mateo county, on the other hand, is very beautiful - windswept beaches, bluffs overlooking the ocean, agriculture, nice woods. Half Moon Bay is a nice town and has several B&Bs.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:42 AM

I second the suggestion of Half Moon Bay...lovely small town, good dining just off the beaches. We did not stay a B& B but a small inn just outside of town, might have been Half Moon Bay Inn on the coast highway. It was ok, the breakfast was unexciting so we got recommendation from them for a terrific place to eat in the harbor. I, too, suggest you explore the location.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:20 PM

The coast is nice, but even Half Moon Bay will be more than 30 minutes from the airport. Look for something in Pacifica.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:29 PM

is your 30 minute criteria because you have an early morning flight? if so, Pacifica woul dbe better than Half Moon Bay. But I don't personally know of any B&Bs in Pacifica. Doesn't mean there aren't any tho' There are several nice hotels/motels in Pacifica.

But if you just want something on the Penninsula - then Half Moon Bay is the hot set up.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:50 PM

If you want quiet and not in a town, I recommend the Harbor House B&B in Princeton by the Sea. Fantastic, peaceful views of the harbor, great food in walking distance. Very simple furnishings, but tasteful. Restorative environment. If you want quiet B&B or hotel but are open to being in a town, have you thought of Palo Alto? There is the Cowper Inn and also the Garden Court Hotel. Then you could spend the evening wandering up and down University Street, eat well, people watch, shop, hang out with the locals. Are you familiar with the Bay Area at all? Palo Alto is a fancy, used-to-be hippy, now high tech money, university town with a lot of international population. Not a bad place to spend a night.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:12 PM

Where is "Princeton by the Sea"? I'm fourth generation Bay Area and I've never heard of it. Or is this slang for something?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

This is all helpful stuff - thanks. It's related to needing to travel onto Kings Canyon NP the next morning and needing a convenient jumping off point. I've set up a new thread on this as I'm not sure of the best route etc.

Thanks for all the responses - if anyone can respond to my next thread that will be great.

Diz
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Princeton-by-the-sea is north of Half Moon Bay, essentially where the boat harbor is located.