Reload this Page >

More ?s about Frequent Fliers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:08 PM
arjay

I've just read the thread about FF complaints; someone there mentioned taking one of the credit cards that gives you your miles on a choice of airlines. I'd like to hear any first-person experiences with these cards - and ease of redeeming for flights. We have an offer sitting on the kitchen table, and I've been trying to decide whether to take it. Thanks!

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 06:03 AM
Brian in Atlanta

In addition to my Delta Skymiles Amex card, we use a Capital One MilesOne Visa. We receive one MilesOne point for each dollar charged and can redeem as follows: for 18,000 points, one r/t ticket within one zone (eastern, central or western US) with a maximum ticket price of $360, for 25,000 points, one r/t ticket anywhere in the continential US with a maximum ticket price of $500, and so on. The pattern is that your points are worth a maximum of 2 cents each (which happens to be what the industry generally values FF points at). My understanding is that as long as you don't exceed the maximums, you have your choice of flights (i.e. no blackout dates) and can even pay the difference if you go over the maximum. I haven't actually redeemed miles yet, but it seems pretty straightforward. You'll want to be sure to read the fine print, though.

Ours cost us $29 per year, and the week after we signed up, we received a similar MilesOne offer from a different bank for $19 a year. I don't think you can get a "free" card, but $19 is the best I've seen. Good luck.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 06:07 AM
Kate

We use a card that is connected to United airlines. I have redeemed points with them yet but I did redeem my American Airlines miles. We went to Hawaii last October first class for free using our miles. We had to book in late June to use the miles in October. We also used miles to upgrade to first class to Hawaii on American for our honeymoon. We booked in July for November. I had a very easy time using the American miles. We are planning to go to Europe this fall on United or American using miles. I have not tried to book it though so I do not know if I will be able to use the miles as easily. I avoid the peak times since the seats allocated to ff redemption will be minimal. Hope that this helps!

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Kate

I was able to use my American airlines miles for two first class tickets to Hawaii last October. I booked the trip at the end of June. We also used miles to upgrade to first class to go to Hawaii. I have not used my United miles yet though. We hope to go to Europe this fall redeeming miles.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 02:56 PM
arjay

Thanks! The $19 offer is the one we have...guess maybe I'll take it. It was encouraging, Kate, to see that you were able to redeem your miles w/o too much hassle, Kate. I'm just about at the ticket level with both United and Midwest Express, but since this is my first time I was a little worried after reading many of the posts on the other thread.