Reload this Page >

Landmarks between SF and Seattle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Ronald and Wouter

We're planning a road trip from San Francisco to Seattle in July. Because of the limited time we have (two weeks), we would like some suggestions for "must-see" locations. We're mainly interested in geographical landmarks, scenery and hiking.
Any help is much appreciated.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Bob Brown

I can name several worth scenic attractions between San Francisco and Seattle. The problem is that they are at times east or west of each other and that type of road in northern California is hard to find. I remember one day we tried to drive from the coastal Redwoods to Mount Lassen. In ignorance we took California 36. It looks like the route was planned by a man following a runaway goat. (E.g. unbanked right angle bends just before driving between two trees, that were barely a car's width apart, at the bottom of a 15% grade.) Talk about throwing the passengers around!
If you drive up US 101, there are several redwood groves both north and south of Eureka. Between Eureka and Crescent City there are several fine groves. Then, due east almost, are Mount Lassen and Mount Shasta. Lassen has a good trail to the top and great views. There is a thermal area at Lassen known as Bumpass Hell where steam is still venting. I don't recall any geysers, but there is a boiling spring.
In Oregon, there is that marvellous Oregon Coast. Inland, there is Crater Lake, which is the remains of a volcano that blew its top a few thousand years ago. What remains today is a beautiful lake in the cone of the old volcano.
In Portlant there is a park on the mountain west of downtown that has the most beautiful roses you are likely to see. The park is used to grow roses for international competitions, so it receives a lot of care and cultivation.
Farther north is Mount St. Helens.
There is a good view point and interpretive display. A little farther north is Mount Ranier National Park. Ranier is awesome, even to the non climber. If you really want to appreciate it, pretend like you are going to the top for a few hours. My favorite section of the coast is north from Florence to Lincoln City.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Caitlin

I second Bob's suggestions re redwoods and Crater Lake (don't know Washington so much), but would also point out that inland in July, especially in CA and OR, will be very hot, and much hotter than on the coast. Don't skip it, of course, just be aware.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 09:31 AM
John

Hi, Ronald & Wouter,
Two weeks is ample time to see a lot on this route. Bob is right about the difficulty in going from coast to inland and back, so my recommendation is not to do it except at the end of the drive.

Go north on Calif. Hwy. 1 from San Francisco until it joins with US Hwy 101. This section of Hwy. 1 is very scenic, and there are a number of attractive communities located along it. Allow a couple of days.

Then follow Hwy. 101, through the Redwoods as Bob says, all the way to Astoria at the mouth of the Columbia River. The Oregon coast is very beautiful and surprisingly varied - rocks and cliffs, sand dunes, fishing towns. This part of the drive can take from 2 to 7 days (I'd give it 3 or 4 max.)

From Astoria, cross the river and follow it upstream (east) on the Washington side, then cross back over at Portland. Visit Portland for a day or two (very nice city, much to see), then drive up the Columbia Gorge (on the "old" Gorge Highway on the Oregon side as far as you can), visiting Multnomah Falls, cross back to Washington at Cascade Locks, then up the Washington side as far as Goldendale, not missing the Maryhill Museum. Notice how the landscape changes from forest to desert. (Portland to Goldendale is 1/2 day plus stops)

From Goldendale travel north to Yakima through the Yakama Indian Reservation (new spelling) and then if time allows further along the Columbia to Wenatchee. This is "old west" country with ranches and cattle. (If time doesn't permit, travel from Yakima either over US Hwy. 12 or Interstate 90 to Seattle.) Note that in July it will be quite warm in these areas, but usually dry and pleasant. Another 1/2 day plus stops.

From Wenatchee travel west on US Hwy. 2 through apple orchards and then across the Cascades to Seattle. One of the prettiest routes through the mountains. Yet another 1/2 day plus stops.

There are numerous opportunities on this route for hiking and viewing nature. If you still want to visit Mt. Rainier you can do so as a day trip from Seattle. If time permits, I'd also recommend a day or two on the Olympic Peninsula west from Seattle. Back to the sea.

Happy planning!

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Wouter

Hi everybody,
thank you for your resonses and suggestions. I also see the problem of travelling east-west (Bob, you should have taken the 299, right? I looked it up on the map. and having that in mind, I think I should mention that Yosemite NP will be our first stop after San Francisco. That makes the suggestion of John a bit more difficult to follow (driving straight north from SF), because we will be to far east to take the 101.

I think that it will be best to drive in a straight line (as far as possible) via Lasser to Klamath/Crater Lake and then west to the coast (does anybody have any experience driving the 138 or the 58? Which one is faster?). That way we'll be able to see the coast between Florence and Lincoln City as Bob recommended. Are there any redwoods in that part of the coast? And John, thank you for your advise about visiting Portland, I didn't know that it was a nice town.

I still have some questions about the rest of the trip. Is Lake Tahoe worth visiting/staying? How much can you travel in one day in this area? How are the roads? Do you recommend driving long ends with "long" stops or driving a bit everyday? How is Mt. St. Helens? Is this doable without getting stressed out from driving all day?

Aaahh, questions, questions.... So much to decide..... I blame it on your country: there is way to much to do and it's way to beautiful . Anyway, thanks again.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 10:36 AM
sheri

You've gotten some great suggestions; I would just add that personally, I think the rainforests of the Olympic Peninsula are more of a "must-see" than Eastern WA, which I find rather drab and way too hot in July compared to Western WA (although I can see John's point in suggesting it for the contrast, and I confess to being a total heat wimp!). So if you don't have time to do both the Peninsula and the route up the east side of the Cascades, I personally would give priority to the rainforests, just because they are so unique to the Pacific Northwest and I love hiking among those incredible old-growth trees. You can hike for miles along the Hoh River Trail, for instance, and once you get beyond the first mile or so, the crowds you may encounter at the Visitors Center will drop off dramatically. Another favorite hike out there is the nine-mile triangle out to the ocean and back from Lake Ozette, up in the NW corner of the Peninsula, near Neah Bay (which is also worth a visit to see the northwesternmost point in the continental US and for the fine Makah museum).

The great thing about the Peninsula is that you have a combination of so many eco-systems (coast, rainforest, mountains, lakes) within a relatively compact area. I think it's worth a good three or four days, especially if you are avid hikers.

Whichever route you choose, however, you won't lack for beauty and great hiking. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 03:37 AM
Cal

I will let the others comment on the wonders of Oregon and Washington. I have lived in both states but can't add much to what has been said.

I do advise you to visit Lake Tahoe if you are going to Yosemite. There is a very scenic drive that includes some California history. That is Hwy 49 from Yosemite north to Placerville. You will pass through many old historic towns like Angels Camp, etc. that are very interesting and picturesque. The scenery along this route is very good. When you reach Placerville then go east on 50 to Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe and the area are very scenic. To me, traveling along Hwy 49 and visiting Lake Tahoe is at the top of the list of things to see and do.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 05:59 AM
Samantha

Hi R. & W. - I'm only familiar with the north coast of CA, as I lived there for a few years and agree with previous posters regarding the Redwoods. One other place I would like to suggest is Patrick's Point State park, since you said you were interested in scenery and hiking. It's not super time consuming (half a day) and the views of the ocean are breathtaking - lots of rocks jutting out of the water and high cliffs. You'll get some great photos. The park is right off of highway 101, between Eureka and Crescent City. A *strong* piece of advice - *do not* take highway 299, which goes east/west from the coast to the inland. Been there, done that and about pulled my hair out on the ride! ;-) It gives new meaning to the term "hairpin turns". Enjoy your road trip.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 06:07 AM
Wouter

Thanks Cal, that seems like a very good suggestion. I just have one question about that route: how long will it take? By looking at the map, I'd say that it will take a lot longer than getting out of Yosemite over the Tioga Pass and driving over the 395 north to Tahoe.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 08:37 AM
Ruth

Our visit to Mt. St. Helen's about 6-7 years ago remains one of my sightseeing highlights. More vegetation may have grown back by now but parts of the hillside looked like what I imagine an atomic blast might. It was truly incredible.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 10:00 AM
John

Cal is right about Highway 49. It's slow but offers a marvelous way of exploring Gold Rush history. Hwy 395 can get pretty boring in summer when everything dries up.
Lake Tahoe is a must, as well. Plan to spend a day or two. Avoid the Nevada shore; it's too developed compared to the much more pristine California shore.
From Tahoe, you can drive north on Hwy 89 past Lake Almanor to Lassen Park. From here you turn north and drive to Lava Beds National Monument (where the Modoc Indian War was fought) and Tule Lake Wildlife Refuge (look for white Pelicans here or in nearby Klamath Falls; also bald eagles, ospreys; yellowheaded blackbirds, and much more).
If you cut down to Redding from Lassen Park, and continue north on I-5, be sure to stop at Castle Crags SP with its incredible granite formations (and views); you might also want to take in Shasta Caverns (reached by a boat tour across Lake Shasta); drive up Mount Shasta (wildflowers), and at Mount Ashland just north of the state line (even more wildflowers). Summer is also high season for Ashland's Shakespeare Festival--another don't miss. As you continue north, you could visit wineries in the Umpqua Valley, near Eugene and Salem, and in Yamhill County. The pretty country east of Albany has several very picturesque covered bridges.
The Willamette Valley gets warm in summer but not uncomfortably so.
Portland is another must-stop. It's truly a great city.
If you have time, you should also take drives to the Columbia River Gorge, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier.
The WA state capitol in Olympia is also worth a stop. So is Point Defiance park in Tacoma.
Seattle, of course, is in a class by itself. You could easily spend two weeks in Seattle without getting bored.