Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

More Opinions: Hotel Jerome or Little Nell?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About us (if that helps): we are in 43/53 respectively, we have not skied in years so we are Buttermilk folk to be sure, we like to window shop and enjoy a good meal. Haughty staff is a huge turnoff. Clean and well-maintained rooms and a friendly staff mean the world to us. I've currently booked a Jr Suite at The Jerome based on reviews on how friendly and helpful the staff is reported to be since we'll need lots of help w/ rentals, lessons, reservations, etc.
My concern re TLN is that we are not experienced skiers so the on the mountain factor would not matter, my desire for TLN would be a balcony and fireplace and it appears the rooms available do not have either (?)[Standard town rooms w/ no mention of fireplace or balcony in the description], and many reviews noted haughty staff w/ an attitude.
(I have no firsthand knowledge so I do not mean to libel anyone.) Thank you again for your personal experience opinions!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM

6 of one....half a dozen of the other. The little Nell is alot closer to the action of the ski slope than the Jerome. Some festival weekends there are events (concerts, fireworks, torchlight parades) that occur right in town at the base of Ajax Mountain (aka Aspen Mountain) for which the closeness of the Little Nell might be an advantage. On the other hand, Aspen really isn't that big, and getting around on foot is quite easy. If closeness to the slope is not of prime concern, then by all means go with the Jerome. Besides, the Hotel Jerome has one of the best bars in all of Colorado - the J-Bar - especially late in the evening. Ask to see the drawer that has been signed by every bartender to have ever worked there.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:47 AM

It is a bit of 6 of one,etc., BUT TLN is just so superb. Fireplaces, right on the mountain, etc. You can go down to the Jerome for a drink--and it is indeed charming also.
As for your rentals, you just walk up and get helped. I can't see that the hotel staff is going to enter into that, but I could be wrong. Have a great time.
Son worked at Little Nell--far from haughty!!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 08:08 AM
MaureenB

The two hotels have much different styles IMHO. We love the Jerome for its history and classic old Aspen elegance. The staff there is professional, attentive and friendly. It has a feeling of "old money" vs. Little Nell's "nouveau riche" feel-- again IMHO. We've known of several "stars" who choose the Jerome so they can slip in and out unnoticed. Also, the breakfast room is lovely, the bar is lively, the clientele eclectic.

Little Nell is beautiful, but in a newer, more 'slick' way. It has a more pretentious-looking clientele from what we've observed-- Ferraris in the summer and humongous Hummers in the winter. More in the center of things. More a 'see and be seen' kind of place I'd say. The haughty attitude might be because the big money folks could get all the attention. Haven't experienced a stay there, just a visit.
I'd stick with the junior suite at the Jerome.

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I haven't stayed in either as we stay in a condo in the Aspen area. I have friends that have stayed at both places and prefer Hotel Jerome. Its the kind of place where people know your name and chat with you. My friends especially love the bartenders at the J-Bar. They thought there was a cool reserved attitude at TLN and lots more European guests staying there.

Don't rely on the hotel for your ski & lesson needs. Go to www.aspensnowmass.com and follow the links to rent skis online at a 20% discount and to see info about lessons. You might find that the multi day learn to ski group lessons and equipment package is a better deal. Their beginner lesson packages have always been a bargain. If you decide to go for private lessons, the instructors are top notch. They are their "cream of the crop" instructors. If you are going during a busy part of the season you might want to set up the private lessons by phone before you go. There have been times when no private instructors were available for our family.

When you rent, make your pick up of equipment at Buttermilk. They will keep your skis overnight and you will present a tag (kind of like a coat check system) for them the next day. That way there is no lugging of equipment here and there.

I always go to the mountain the afternoon before I start skiing and get fitted for equipment and go ahead and store the skis (you can pick them up the afternoon before the date of rental). It takes longer than you might expect to go through that process and if you have lessons scheduled you don't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get skis before the lessons start.

You will loooooove Buttermilk. ITs where my husband and both kids learned to ski and is still their favorite for nostalgic reasons.

We love starting our week at West Buttermilk while we shake the cobwebs off the skis. We also love the ahi tuna sandwiches and the Mongolian grill served at the lodge at the top of Buttermilk.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:31 AM

I want to clarify that the process that takes awhile is the initial rental and fitting of equipment NOT that it takes a long time to get your skis out of the checked ski area each morning.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much everyone!!!!