Search

More anthrax....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Laura

More anthrax....

CNN is reporting right now that anthrax spores has been detected in an NBC employee, and they think it the contact was from mail. Has anyone heard what state this is in?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:17 AM
sss

NYC we read it over bloomberg.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Chris

New York City. God help us now!

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:19 AM
sss

Rockfeller Ctr Building. Let's all remember that this is the last company was the Star in Florida so it looks like a connection with media target.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:22 AM
sss

Try to calm down we are going to be ok. We are not talking 100's of cases found. Loosing it will not help you or those around you.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:24 AM
sss

Here is a link for news coverage

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001...s_anthrax.html

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:49 AM
x

For Christ's sake, everybody calm down and don't spread any false rumours around. There's enough of that going around already. Accept your facts from only reputable news sources, not from fringe publications or emails your friends send you like "a friend of a friend was dating an Afghan, and he said..."

This new form of anthrax is very treatable. We are not all going to die.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Chris

I'm not panicking. CNN reports although it's not the same strain, she was tested because NBC reported receiving a strange item in the mail. On the surface it appears the media might be/have been targets, oui? Surely this would panic people working in the mailroom of media organizations! Though we're only talking a few humans -- and, I bet, a few more over the next weeks -- this is an example of the kind of terrorist acts we might expect from here on out, not mass destruction and mass death, just a steady stream of fear and concern.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Almost Panicking

Well, I'm not in panic mode yet, but I'm getting there. The facts as I understand them do not paint a pretty picture:

Anthrax hasn't been found in this country for decades.

Three anthrax cases in Florida, and the only "source" they've found is a man's keyboard. The strain is man-made.

One in New York, but a different strain.

Is it me, or could one reach the conclusion that the terrorists are testing the anthrax? You know, put a small amount in an empty envelope and mail it, and see how many people you kill. Then, based on that, you know whether you've brewed it correctly.

Well, it looks like the terrorists have brewed one or possibly two strains correctly. Now they just have to distribute it effectively. (Assuming that they have not already done so, given the incubation period).

Also, why would anyone take comfort in the fact that we are dealing with more than one strain? I would think an effective mass response is more complex as more strains are involved.

Yeah, I'm worried.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:06 AM
al

No wait, it's not a different 'strain' of anthrax, is it? I thought this woman was infected in a different way, cutaneous (thorough the skin and treatable) as opposed to inhaled (much worse).

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:15 AM
xxx

We don't talk about Anthrax on this forum. This is a travel forum. We don't want to upset any travelers here. So how about answering what is the best swimming pool in Las Vegas and what's the best thing for your children to wear there.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:25 AM
We Aretalking

This is a travel forum about travel to states like Florida and New York. Believe, the people in Boca Rotan and in New York City are starting to think they might not be living in a tourist mecca any longer. Do YOU want to take your kids there after all this?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:27 AM
sss

I think it would be helpful if we all stick to what we know instead of our fears. Yes she was infected through the skin and are saying this is entirely treatable.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Chris

Look, I don't think you get what people are fearful of. Yes, she is treatable and will be cured. Yes, it is a different strain. What's scary -- not panicky, just scary so far -- is that THIS IS HAPPENING -- clearly someone is mailing anthrax samples to a few folks. I'm not really expecting to die of anthrax, OK? But it IS scary that it's showing up here, there ... mailrooms ... media ... You're a fool if you don't think this is something to pay attention to. Just because people are concerned doesn't mean they're inflammatory nuts.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Carolann

It sure sounds as if you're panicking with your "God help us now", Chris. Button it up!

This is precisely what "they" want. Precisely. They are laughing at us as we raise our arms, shriek and run away. They have a sense of victory. They are accomplishing their goals. We've got to face facts. Life is different for us from now on. Our safe little world is GONE. Let's get used to it fast and go on living our lives but living with more care and concern than before--forever!

It makes me ill that are laughing in delight as we panic. The new case is announced and the market drops 100 points. Bang, freefall. They love it. Kill us/kill our economy. Business indicators are no different today than they were yesterday when there were enough positive signs to raise the DOW 184 pts.

I'm thrilled that we no longer have to listen to their propaganda machines churning out their dire warnings of their 1000s of youths ready and willing to die for their country, but sorry it took the gov't speaking up to convince the media they were doing nothing but giving these jerks a mouthpiece!!

We've got to get a grip. This is not the end of the world. It's a new world, and we'd better buck up and do it fast. Do NOT give them what they want!!

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Chris

The markets were minus 170 points before this item appeared on the news. Probably because of Bush's speech last night, warning us of "imminent" terrorist attacks. Sorry if saying "God Help Us All" means I am running shrieking in the streets. Maybe I just should have eliminated the exclamation point.

It's not giving them what they want if we wake up and pay attention and put up our defenses. Paying attention to what's going on and taking it seriously do not equate to giving in to Them.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Chicken

You mean pretend this isn't happening and laugh and joke and not worry about our mailmen and our relatives out in the business world? Just act as though nothing is wrong? Don't you think the terrorists will just think we must really be stupid if we ignore all this? Yes, it is scary.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Bill

Carolann-Sadaam Hussein has been developing bio-terrorism weapons for years and his top aides have been seen meeting with Atta and Bin Laden's key people. IMO, our next target ought to be Hussein and his labs.

Right now, I would be very careful openning any mail especially junk mail. And if you see any thing suspicious, calll your local law enforcement offices.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Lizzie

Carolann - showing fear in the face of threats and anthrax scares is not equal to "throwing up our arms and running away." I have seen few people reacting by throwing up their arms and running away. However, I work for a magazine in NYC and have several close friends who work at NBC. I am scared sick for them, and for all of us! But I will continue to wake up in the morning, go to work, concentrate at work, go to the gym, go out to dinner, and do everything that's a part of my daily life... while looking over my shoulder. People share their fear on websites like this precisely so they don't run in fear. It's a good outlet. Your reaction is uncalled for and I'd be very surprised if you're not scared yourself.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:23 AM
sss

just try not to panic put this into perspective of how many are injured. We just have been through a horrendous ordeal with the WTC. Fearing what you don't know is just a waste of energy. Far be it from me to spout pompous American bravado but let's not forget we are a supper power and these are bunch of yohips in pick up trucks living in caves. We will get through this, it is not the greatest calamity people in our parent's generation (WWII) had to make it through. We will do ok but we will do better than ok if we are not all motivated by fear.

soo off the point but I would like to add I am reading "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang, it shows one family and how they made it through the cultural revolution in China. It is helpful to read about people living in greater adversity and making it through. ...makes my worries quite trivial in comparison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -