Monument Valley Tour

Apr 28th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Monument Valley Tour

Am staying in Chinle for 2 days before moving onto Zion National Park .
Can someone someone please give me an itinerary to ensure I see all the highlights of Monument Valley
Thanks
Apr 28th, 2014, 02:38 AM

You can drive into Monument Valley yourself and see a lot of it - and the sunsets and sunrises are amazing.

There are also local/Native American tours available as well.

Our favorite "bonus" is about 40 minutes away from MV - on the route to the Grand Canyon (Hiway 160?) - and about 20 miles west of Keyenta - you can take the road/turnoff 10 miles north the Navajo National monument - and easily get to see some Cliff Dwellings - plus they have a very nice visitor's center/museum.
Apr 28th, 2014, 02:42 AM

But you might have had your fill of Cliff Dwellings by then?
Apr 28th, 2014, 03:19 AM

You might want to check into the tours offered through Gouldings Lodge right outside Monument Valley. They seemed more reasonable than some offered by guides right in the park. We did not do a formal tour with either One word of caution: the road through the valley is very rough.

I really agree that sunrise and sunset are spectacular. It would be easier for you to see these if you stayed closer to Monument Valley than Chinle
Apr 28th, 2014, 03:39 AM

One of the highlights of any visit to the area is waking up early in your room at Gouldings Lodge, go out on the balcony and watch the sunrise over the monuments. Truly spectacular.
Apr 28th, 2014, 05:12 AM

Self driven cars are not permited in all the areas of the Valley and many of them have trouble driving back up out out of it. I recomend takng a tour.
Apr 28th, 2014, 10:55 AM

We just went to Chinle and Monument Valley last month. We spent one night at Canyon de Chelly and one night at Monument Valley. The best part about Monument Valley was staying at the hotel in the park and seeing the sunrise and sunset. If possible, you should stay there. If it is full, keep calling, because people cancel. We were able to get a last-minute reservation there that way and were so glad that we did. It is a beautiful hotel and each room has a fantastic view. We arrived in Chinle one afternoon and spent that afternoon and the next morning seeing Canyon de Chelly (that would be the minimum amount of time to spend there, in my opinion), then drove to Monument Valley. Other than seeing sunset and sunrise in Monument Valley, we spent a morning driving ourselves around. The road was rough, but we were very glad that we had not booked a tour, as there was a sandstorm which made us want to stay in the car most of the time. Apparently, windstorms are common there, and I felt really sorry for all the people we saw in open jeeps, etc., who were trying to wrap whatever they could around their heads and faces to keep the sand out of their eyes, mouths, ears, noses, etc. We had a rental car and, while the road was very rough, it worked out fine for us . . . you just need to drive slowly. The rock formations were amazing to see but I did not feel the need to stay there longer than we did. Both Chinle and Monument Valley are good places to purchase Native American crafts, if you want to do that. Many people are selling their wares on tables that they set up, so you are buying things directly from the craftsmen, in many cases. Restaurants in Chinle are very basic; the food is not very good. Food is much better at the hotel in Monument Valley.
Apr 28th, 2014, 05:26 PM

While staying at Gouldings, we took their full day tour as we were only there for 2 nights. It included Mystery Valley, lunch, a quick stop at The View before heading through Monument Valley and parts of the resticted area. It was an 8 hr tour which surprisingly didn't feel that long. Our guide was excellent and the hamburgers he made was one of the best I've had in a while. He said it was due to the wood out there. We made a lot of stops and could take our time (the open air truck probably holds 16 people but there only 5 of us). I would take that tour again as we saw a lot and it was informative.
Apr 28th, 2014, 05:41 PM

I agree with naturetraveler. The View is well worth a stay -- it lives up to its name.

I drove thru' the valley myself with a Kia Sportage and didn't have any problems. Just drive slowly and carefully. Late afternoon is a lovely time, with the perfect light on the rocks.

You can hike the Wildcat trail on your own. It's one of two hikes you're allowed to do without a guide.
Apr 29th, 2014, 03:37 AM

Even if you cannot stay at the View hotel in Monument Valley, you may be able to eat there @ sunset. I agree it would be worth staying there if you can get a reservation. Also agree that food in Chinle is not very good and that the View restaurant had better food. The terraces around The View are a good place to watch sunrise and sunset

Search this Thread