Monterey/Carmel jaunt continued...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everyone who gave me great advice before Fodors deleted the thread titled "Advice for Monterey/Carmel Jaunt". I'd like to keep working on my trip with advice from you guys so i hope you'll continue helping me on this thread! pretty please?

Jason888, I think I may have confused you by mentioned Muir Woods. sorry! We are actually heading north to San Fran at the end of this leg to visit family and will be going to Muir Woods while we're there. So, I guess now I'm confused about Pfeiffer Big Sur and Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP's. Is one preferable over the other? How long would you say the hikes take out to the waterfall at JPB's?

Makai1, how did you like the Tickle Pink Inn? I saw in your anniversary trip post you stayed there... I believe we're going to splurge for one night and try to book a room there. It just seems too good to pass up!

*also, can I request to please not have any of the back and forth accusing people of posting under various screen names? I know there may be people posting under multiple names, I know who they supposedly are, and will weigh the advice of everyone accordingly- but I really don't want the Fodors police deleting this post too!

~Ski Queen
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Hey ski queen,

The Tickle Pink Inn is worth EVERY penny!! If you can swing the ocean view fireplace jacuzzi suite absolutely do it! You won't forget it... I'm still dreaming of it. Room 31 is the best room on the property.

Two books that helped me much regarding the different parks & sights, Coastal California, by John Doerper, and Photo Secrets, San Francisco & Northern California are well worth picking up.

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is just south of Carmel, and has the McWay waterfall which splashes into the sea. Very short hike. Don't miss this one!

The Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park has a great trail through the redwoods to the Pfeiffer waterfall... again, a very short hike. The falls were not huge obviously because of the time of year, but again well worth seeing. This park is further south into Big Sur.

This trip was one of the best my husband & I have taken. We love to travel the Caribbean, Hawaii, and US National Parks.

ENJOY, and please post a report upon your return!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:23 PM
SAB

Skiqueen: Whether to visit Muir Woods will depend on your itinerary and whether you have had your fill of redwoods whilst visiting Big Sur. If, for example you intend to visit Sinson Beach or coastal Marin or Mount Tam, visiting Muir Woods might fit in nicely. However, if you have already been to Pfeiffer and Julia Pfeiffer and do not have anything planned in west Marin you could safely skip Muir Woods and not feel that you missed something.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Hi, ski_queen!

Thanks for being so patient with us out here in California!

On Muir Woods, it's OK, not your fault! Mine entirely, I'm easily confused, as my wife will tell you!

Let's do this sequentially:

1) You leave San Francisco on Highway 1.

2) 55 miles south of SF is Ano Nuevo State Reserve. Here is where you see the elephant seals come onshore to
a) do battle with other males over the females. My wife says she loves this part of it! Males battling over females - how primitive can one get!
b) the females give birth on the beach
c) everyone has a good time!
d) just stay far away, you do not want a one to two ton elephant seal in full battle heat mistake you for a rival! (Their eyesight may be blurred by jealousy!)

If you are coming after December 15, you need to make reservations (800-444-4445). The tours are so popular now that you can go only if you have reservations (Dec. 15 - March; rest of the year, you don't need reservations).

3) You get to Santa Cruz. Mebbe you wanted to stop here, mebbe not. I can't remember whether you said you wanted to stop or not.

4) You continue on Highway 1 to Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel. They are lined up north-south in that order.

5) You continue on Highway 1 and three miles south of Carmel you come to Point Lobos. Nice flat hike. Gorgeous scenery. If the ranger is at her station, exchange your car keys/driver's license for a free pair of binoculars. Fun viewing through those binoculars!

6) 26 miles south of Carmel is Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. The falls there, as Makai1 said, is Pfeiffer Falls. I was there last month and it wasn't much of a falls. Unless it rains a whole bunch, you probably won't want to see the abbreviated falls. The hike in is pretty nice, but if you are going into Muir Woods, again, you may want to miss the hike through these redwoods.

In other words, given the time you have, skip Pfeiffer Big Sur.

7) A few miles (5?) south of Pfeiffer Big Sur is Nepenthe. It's on the right hand side and has a huge parking lot. Can't miss it.

8) 37 miles south of Carmel is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. The falls that pour onto the ocean beach is McWay Falls. Again, in the autumn, the falls start losing water volume. In the winter, if it rains a lot, the volume builds up and the falls are more spectacular. The best time to view any of these falls is in the spring.

Even though McWay Falls is not very voluminous, it'll be the best falls for you to visit in Big Sur.

When you get to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, the exit will be to your left. You drive a short ways up to the parking lot which is relatively small, but at that time of year you'll probably find lots of parking. Once you are parked, look back across the road leading into the parking lot, you will see a short flight of stairs leading down to a path with tan colored crushed rock. Follow that path and it'll take you towards the coast and McWay Falls.

How long a hike? One way - probably 20 minutes to 1/2 hour tops. Depends on how often you stop. It's pretty flat - the entire walk is wheelchair accessible, to give you an idea of the ease of walking that trail.

Unlike Ano Nuevo and Point Lobos, you cannot loop back to the parking lot, so you have to retrace your path at JPB Park. Plan on an hour?

So, my suggested stops are:

Ano Nuevo
(Monterey/PG/Carmel)
Point Lobos
Nepenthe
Julia Pfeiffer Burns

You can easily do all these stops in the time that you have and then speed back up 101 to San Francisco Airport.

Hope this helps!

Have fun! And welcome to California!

Jason

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:12 PM

Here we go again!

ski_queen: forgot to mention that you can check out the state parks and reserves on

http://www.parks.ca.gov/

Jason
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:35 PM

"What do mean by here we go again?"[sic]

Dunno. What do mean?

"Your the one" [sic] ummmm

Didn't know I even owned a "one"

Jason
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Aloha ski queen,

Sorry for the misinfo regarding the distance of JPBSP & PBSP as Jason is correct in the distance from Carmel.

BTW, Jason was quite helpful in my travel plans... in response to the remarks from guarto & trec... disregard them, they have their own agenda.

Again, happy trails.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 08:35 PM

ski queen,

Don't be mislead by Lake, he has messed up many CA threads.

Sorry yours has been mislead by this goof.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

I asked you guys to please not do this!!

Jason and Makai as well as others have been helpful in my planning and Treck and Lake have both given advice that I will consider as well... I really could care less if any of you are one in the same because I am planning on doing enough research other places that I'll do what works best for me - I'd just appreciate it if you would stick to giving advice rather than bashing each other because it's not helping anything! And Robinsen, I find it funny that you all of a sudden will jump to accuse Jason of being the reason my last thread was deleted but you couldn't bother to post any advice on it... if i find anyone suspicious here, it's not jason or makai since they have both been exceedinly helpful and pleasant.

Side note - Makai, booked a room at the Tickle Pink last night! It's a definite splurge, but I think we're really going to enjoy it. We got an ocean view room w/ fireplace.

ski queen
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:26 AM

Hi, ski_queen!

Don't let this nutcase get to you! He'll probably post again and get deleted again!

Have a terrific trip! Your itinerary sounds wonderful! Will pray that you have lovely, sunny days! Enjoy!

Jason
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:01 AM

Hey ski queen,

What fun you'll have... enjoy the Tickle Pink... it's especially nice to experience the wine reception - I believe it's from 4:30-6:30 pm. Say HI to Charlie from Bob & Lisa, Antioch, IL.

Want to hear all about your trip!

Enjoy.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 08:12 AM

We just returned from San Francisco and Carmel last week. We visited Julia Pfeiffer Park and took the very short hike to view the McKay waterfall. The water volume was low but was still visible and worth the hike (it's very easy). It flows into the ocean. There was also a viewing area at the end of the trail. We got many really beautiful photos of the cliffs and water (bright blue-green color). Enjoy your trip! Remember to add time for photo ops.