Monterey, Big Sur, Napa/Sonoma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I (30 y.o)wanted to hit the road for a scenic road trip. We have Sunday through Thursday and wanted to stay at cute-sy B&B's or hotels within a $200ish range. We love wine and craft beer, beautiful scenery in the great outdoors, and delicious food (to name a few.) Neither of us have visited any of the cities except Sonoma, and wondering what are some must-do's & must-see's in our Sunday through Thursday? We are visiting May 24th-28th. Thanks in advance for any restaurant, hotel, and b&b's that you can recommend!
Ashley in Austin
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 06:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Even though this site still lists the 2014 Memorial weekend events, most should be repeated. http://www.sonomauncorked.com/wine-c...l-day-weekend/
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 07:19 PM

Must do:
walk or hike in Point Lobos State Reserve
Walk or bike the coastal shoreline trail in Pacific Grove
Visit the village of Carmel by the Sea
Visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 07:23 PM

As far as breweries go, Lagunitas in Petaluma and Bear Republic in downtown Healdsburg are must-stops IMO. Lagunitas has a nice outdoor beer garden and an extensive pub-type menu.

Are you flying into SFO?
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 08:39 PM

Here are some ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm

Nico is our "current" favorite restaurant in The City. We've managed to dine there twice before it got a VERY favorable review from our local restaurant critic.

http://nicosf.com/

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 08:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
stu: as far as I can see they aren't planning on staying in SF. Monterey+Sonoma/Napa

Ashleyjade: One issue is the Memorial day weekend. The hwys through the Napa Valley will be packed on Sunday/Monday so I'd head south first (not that there won't be crowds in Carmel/Big Sur they won't be as bumper to bumper as in Napa)
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 11:46 AM

Why go to Napa at all? the Sonoma area, Healdsburg etc. is much more charming with better restaurants. I would suggest looking into VRBO rentals, rather than hotels.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Pefect! So we found some cute vrbo rentals in Monterey and surrounding. I'm thinking two days there to hike around and check out the coastal views, see the old mission, and eat and drink our way through monterey, big sur, and carmel by the sea. Then probably on to Sonoma for a day and night of vineyards and beautiful views (after memorial day to avoid such big crowds) then a day/night in SF before heading to Yosemite for a wedding that weekend. We are so excited already!
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 07:01 AM

>>Then probably on to Sonoma for a day and night of vineyards and beautiful views
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Perfect time to see the waterfalls flowing at Yosemite. Remember that there are vineyards and wineries all over California.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

So should I cut out Sonoma and stay in Monterey two nights and SF two nights? I want to make the best use of our time but also didn't want to spend a whole day on the road either.. Suggestions?
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would do 2&2. Not enough time for 3 locations.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 11:06 AM

Go to Montereyrentals.com. They have a great selection of fully furnished homes/condos to rent for short term rentals on the Monterey Peninsula. Click on Pacific Grove and look at those. You will be pleased. Class operation and you will live like a local for a few days. All of their offerings are well done and have reviews. Some of the rentals include passes to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. This is a good deal as the entrance fee there in $39.95 per person adult.

Another choice: ASILOMAR. Historic site close to the ocean in Pacific Grove. Owned by state of California. Beautiful setting. Rustic. They will have a web site also.

House of Seven Gables in PG also faces Monterey Bay. It has been featured in American Express TV ad because of the beautiful location. Old Victorian and well known in this area. They also will have a web site.

Hook em Horns! I am a native Texan, UT graduate, living in Pacific Grove......aka America's Last Hometown.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Trip booked! I found a cute lil' airbnb in the Seaside area of Monterey, and we will stay there 3 nights, then on to Sonoma. I will definitely hit up the suggested spots in Monterey, Big Sur, and Carmel. I heard the Agro/winery tour with Evan is a must. Anything else?

Thanks to all for the great suggestions!
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Traveldawg! Hook em!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:28 PM

>> a cute lil' airbnb in the Seaside area of Monterey
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:48 PM

Seaside isn't a scenic area and some neighborhoods can be a little sketchy. It's not far of a drive from Monterey but not somewhere I'd choose to spend my vacation. Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel are far more charming though do be aware that within the city limits of Carmel, vacation rentals require a minimum of 30 days. There are a lot of illegal listings on airbnb.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 09:26 PM

I hate to rain on your parade, but I agree that Seaside is not ideal. It's a neighboring town to Monterey, not too far but not cute. But if you got a good deal, it won't be a disaster. You probably won't spend much time there anyway.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 10:17 PM

There are a couple of nice hotels in the dunes in Seaside . . . but otherwise I wouldn't stay in the town itself. It has quite a bit of the down-market housing that one finds clustered around large military bases.

Do you have a link to the actual listing . . . because it might be perfectly fine, but it might not be . . .
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 07:55 AM

I agree with NewbE. I have stayed in Seaside many times, mostly moving my son in/out of dorms at CSUMB. Seaside is where the university is located on the former Fort Ord. Lots of new building in the area. Even the "nice hotels" in the dunes in Seaside (and I have stayed at them) are only OK.

If you got a good deal, go for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -